France 2016 Best rental websites ! Bookings wanted !

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Jensen

France 2016 Best rental websites ! Bookings wanted !

Post by Jensen »

As the title !

I'm currently looking for bookings for our beautiful watermill accomodation in the Poitou charentes region of France that we have been renting for over 16 years. Holiday lettings and Chez nous got me a few weeks until the pound crashed !! Dare I say it e-bay get's me a lot of enquires but as I refuse to give weeks away no bookings. Although I don't like Airbnb, their website & the whole set up I signed up at the start of the year and have'nt had a single enquiry ???

We have a website www.moulin-lacombe.com that is totaly out of date and needs re-doing ! And a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/www.moulindelacombe/ which again is a total waste of time !

Is it realy worth the time and effort, spending more money or is the market as saturated as I think not made any better by the weak pound.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

we are in the same region as you & have been operating 13yrs now...this region is totally saturated especially on sites like airbnb bookingdotcom OD etc - when we started with OD back in 2005 there were 76 for the whole PC region & just 24 of us in Charente...daren't look at how many for whole of PC now but suffice to say in the Charente alone there are in excess of 330 of us.....as for bdotcom we listed in 2013 when there were just 24 B&Bs & had 3 very successful years, now there are 84 B&Bs & similar number of gites operating on 1 night stays as B&Bs....we are lucky in having a high percentage of regulars. Used to have over 20wks/gite in the good old days, now I am happy with 15wks/gite - this year is very quiet, but thanks to repeats out of 17wks in 1 gite I have 14weeks of regulars. 2nd gite different story as have lost 7wks of regular bookings due to ill health or worse & no new enquiries from OD since July last year. Everyman & his dog has now listed on airbnb inc an ensuite B&B room for 13euros/night & a lovely home close to a chateau at 30euros/night for a family of 4....we just cannot compete with these low prices... we have a huge pool, tennis court, spacious grounds, well furnished gites, but nowadays everyone wants a deal. Currently we are finding that French B&B guests are finding us on the sites & phoning for 'best deal', so a good website & fb page are important again. fb needs daily work, but our regular boosts do generate bookings, so worth the work. TA reviews also help attract people to our property. French/Belgians & Dutch usually wait till last minute so hoping for improvement. Uk market are spoilt for choice & think a lot are avoiding France currently since the bombings, refugee crisis, constant strikes & of course the referendum, so maybe things will pick up after 23rd June. Incidentally we have noticed a similar slow pattern in past years with bookings during major sports events in the summer - this year is Euro Cup & Olympics - all coinciding with referendum.....plus of course the weather is not helping.....several French cancellations for this w/end, whereas last w/end when it was glorious resulted in a flood of last minuters.... All we can hope is that the new cheaper ones will lose faith & drop out leaving those of us offering quality, value for money attracting attention again. A waiting game in an ever changing marketplace
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Thanks for your feedback petitbois.

Totaly agree with you !In our tiny village there are now at least 5 or 6 gites!! We used to do 26 weeks a year rentals without trying! We have a one off unique property with water actualy running through the kitchen but with so much competition
it's becoming a nightmare/full time job to market .Twitter, facebook,blogs,websites !! Where do you stop ? I don't spend much time on our facebook page because one I've better things to do and 2 I have to be honest it's pointless !! Our guest's might have a look but rarely like or comment on it !
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

have a friend who swears by twitter & ebay - she has been very successful this year - her best year ever, even better than when previous owners had the gites, but she spends a lot of time on it...bottom line is that if it works we need to try..am about to try eBay for our smaller gite.......every year is different nowadays. Bon courage - sure there will be a rush of last minuters. You do need to try to make your website mobile & tablet friendly otherwise no-one will find you.....everything needs to be accessible at the touch of button..the world has run out of patience
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Just because you don't get bookings through Facebook doesn't necessarily make it a waste of time. It gives a personal angle to your business which people may appreciate when trying to decide between you and another Gite. It doesn't need to be daily or even weekly updates.

Where are your competition advertising? Do they have better websites??? How are they doing in comparison?
tavi

Post by tavi »

We used to do 26 weeks a year rentals without trying! Think you need to start trying again....presumably you did 16 years ago...

Tt's probably time to update your website. I'm struggling on there to find good clear photos and information about your actual property, how many it sleeps, what the interior rooms look like, prices. The main info on there seems to be a link to buying books on the area. I'm on a notebook at the moment - your text is tiny and your photos too.

Post in the website board here on LMH and get some constructive advice on what to do with it.

It absolutely MUST be mobile friendly nowadays.

Many of us use Promotemyplace... it's simple - you don't have to be very techie and the customer service is great if you need help.

As Kev says the value of a good active Facebook page is not to be ignored. I've never had a booking direct from mine but I'm pretty convinced it adds credibility and professionalism...which just might set me apart from some of my competition. I share a lot of fab photo's from others, also local restaurants, tourist guides, things to do. It's not difficult and I don't update more than once or twice a week.

Hope that's helpful.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

tavi wrote:We used to do 26 weeks a year rentals without trying! Think you need to start trying again....presumably you did 16 years ago...

Tt's probably time to update your website. I'm struggling on there to find good clear photos and information about your actual property, how many it sleeps, what the interior rooms look like, prices. The main info on there seems to be a link to buying books on the area. I'm on a notebook at the moment - your text is tiny and your photos too.

Post in the website board here on LMH and get some constructive advice on what to do with it.

It absolutely MUST be mobile friendly nowadays.

Many of us use Promotemyplace... it's simple - you don't have to be very techie and the customer service is great if you need help.

As Kev says the value of a good active Facebook page is not to be ignored. I've never had a booking direct from mine but I'm pretty convinced it adds credibility and professionalism...which just might set me apart from some of my competition. I share a lot of fab photo's from others, also local restaurants, tourist guides, things to do. It's not difficult and I don't update more than once or twice a week.

Hope that's helpful.
As I already stated I know our website is not good, it's been up and running since the late 90's :shock: God blessed me with many qualities but messing with computers was not one of them and quickly reduces me to a want to throw them in the river that passes under the house :D It's supriseing how many clients do compliment us on our website ! Politeness or sarcasm ?

In that case in addition to web adverts costing hundreds of pounds,facebook etc is there a need for a website ? I just think things are getting silly ! Ok if you have a complex/many properties in a tourist trap but small fry out in the sticks the cost's to turnover is tippling to the wrong side !

My Aunte bought a small boreing town house out here in France in the early 80's and used to get 16 weeks of rentals with adverts in shop windows back in the UK and photo copie flyers with no pic's ! How times have changed eh !
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Jensen, I know you're struggling and are upset at the lack of bookings, but the first thing you need to change is your thinking ...

It's hard when you've been doing something successfully for a long time to really understand that times have changed and things have moved on. But ... times have changed, and things have moved on!

The days of putting up your property on a listing site and waiting for the bookings to roll in have long gone - we all need to be much more proactive now in promoting our properties. And yes, it takes a lot of work. A dated website that isn't mobile responsive just won't cut it, and a vibrant Facebook page will show that you care about your guests by communicating interesting bits and pieces about your area and your property, and by being interested in maintaining contact with them.

Lots and lots of really good information about all of this on this forum if you're willing to spend a few hours on the end of the search button :wink:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Jensen, I haven't looked at your website, but yes you absolutely need a good one, whether you have one or twenty properties and it does not have to cost the earth. Your website is the equivalent of your shop window, so make it work for you. All adverts should lead back to your website (unless of course they are commission adverts), so showcase it and at the very least make it mobile friendly. Times change and we must all move with them to succeed. Youve been given a very good suggestion of Promote Your Place or find a web designer that will create something relatively simple, that does the trick but doesn't cost the earth. There are some owners on here that offer that service if you ask.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Jensen wrote: As I already stated I know our website is not good, it's been up and running since the late 90's :shock:
In that case in addition to web adverts costing hundreds of pounds,facebook etc is there a need for a website ?
Yes shock indeed. I'll be blunt and say that if I stumbled across your website it would completely put me off booking. Clearly developed on a shoestring, not updated for over 20 years, I would naturally assume the same of your property. This is your shop front and if you don't keep the windows clean and have new displays, then don't expect customers to enter.

I think your main enemy now is your lack of enthusiasm and apparent apathy. I guess the fact that you've posted here means you haven't completely given up yet so I hope you can find some inspiration within this forum to get you out of the rut.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

kevsboredagain wrote:
Jensen wrote: As I already stated I know our website is not good, it's been up and running since the late 90's :shock:
In that case in addition to web adverts costing hundreds of pounds,facebook etc is there a need for a website ?
Yes shock indeed. I'll be blunt and say that if I stumbled across your website it would completely put me off booking. Clearly developed on a shoestring, not updated for over 20 years, I would naturally assume the same of your property. This is your shop front and if you don't keep the windows clean and have new displays, then don't expect customers to enter.

I think your main enemy now is your lack of enthusiasm and apparent apathy. I guess the fact that you've posted here means you haven't completely given up yet so I hope you can find some inspiration within this forum to get you out of the rut.
Lol :D Oh God ! You probably won't like my you tube video either then !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f0560uP0gE
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Jensen wrote:Lol :D Oh God ! You probably won't like my you tube video either then !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f0560uP0gE
On the contrary, it's a step in the right direction. I just got motion sickness and had flashbacks of Blair witch Project :)

Your brochure is also not bad so clearly there's potential for some good marketing.
Last edited by kevsboredagain on Fri May 13, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

Your property is lovely, but some more images or short videos on your fb page would be more productive I think... alternatively, doesn't cost much to get someone with a drone to make a video these days - shows a more professional image of your property. We have had ours on our fb page now 6months & it has been viewed nearly 4000 times...I confess I had to stop watching your video after 4 mins as felt a little seasick....but a step in the right direction......we all have to try to be one step ahead of the competition.
tavi

Post by tavi »

what a beautiful house and location!
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Thank you for your kind comments :D

Shame as at the end of the vid I fall over backwards

I had to run round the property to film it quicker as it's that big ! and it still took 7 mins and at the time nearly 12hrs to upload on to youtube !

I think the major problem is that where we are is not a tourist trap ! and as already mentioned the market is saturated around here!

Thanks for all your comments and am taking it all on board.

I will go and have a poke about in the website bit on here later :wink: