Credit card payment

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

AndrewH wrote:Interestingly, Wave Apps is powered by Stripe.
That's very interesting. I was definitely going down the route of Stripe but as it's aimed at web designers and not the layman, I had to get my webguy involved. The cost of setting it up on my website was several hundred pounds. When I then started reading less than favourable reports on Stripe with regards to when you have a problem, I hesitated to make that sort of investment. The main worry is if you have a chargeback, apparently you really struggle to reach anyone with Stripe and there is no contact number.

How does wave actually work? I'm guessing it's not something you need to host on your website? The fees on the main page are different to that in the FAQs so maybe they haven't updated their FAQs.
VillaAntonioLanzarote

Update

Post by VillaAntonioLanzarote »

I suggest you may want to check out the Wave Apps link I had in my post this morning
It cost nothing to sign up ,all you need is the guests e mail address, you send guests an "e mail invoice" which allows them to pay by Credit/Debit card , it uses Stripe at the back end
I think the current commission in the UK is 1.9% which seems very reasonable to me
Found a video on You Tube which helps explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX54VEU_ag

Hope that helps
Larry
www.villaantonio.co.uk
Villa Antonio Lanzarote
a place to relax & unwind
www.villaantonio.co.uk
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Larry, that's really helpful. I had clicked the link and had a quick look but it really wasn't clear how it worked, so that video shows how simple it is. I assume you can choose to pass the fees on should you wish? I currently do this with Paypal so my instinct is to carry on doing that, especially as it's so much cheaper than Paypal.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It looks really simple to set up.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Actually, Stripe's commission for European customers is only 1.4% plus 20 pence. I think they are lining themselves up to compete with HA and Yapstones.

Nemo, I found Stripe staff (in America) quite anxious to be helpful. Brian, or someone there, kept wanting to "reach out" to me, which had me worried, but I later found that all it meant was wanting to contact me by email!
kevsboredagain

Re: Update

Post by kevsboredagain »

VillaAntonioLanzarote wrote:I suggest you may want to check out the Wave Apps link I had in my post this morning
It cost nothing to sign up ,all you need is the guests e mail address, you send guests an "e mail invoice" which allows them to pay by Credit/Debit card , it uses Stripe at the back end
I think the current commission in the UK is 1.9% which seems very reasonable to me
Found a video on You Tube which helps explain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNX54VEU_ag

Hope that helps
Larry
www.villaantonio.co.uk
I went through the website but could not see how the business is funded. Nothing is ever free so they must make income from somewhere.
VillaAntonioLanzarote

Update

Post by VillaAntonioLanzarote »

Nemo - we pass on the surcharge , have not had any issues to date
I think it also just help giving potential guests confidence in who you are

Reads
Larry
www.villaantonio.co.uk
Villa Antonio Lanzarote
a place to relax & unwind
www.villaantonio.co.uk
Nemo

Re: Update

Post by Nemo »

kevsboredagain wrote: I went through the website but could not see how the business is funded. Nothing is ever free so they must make income from somewhere.
Well it's not free as they have the fees, but here's your answer on the about us page.
We’ve been recognized with various industry awards, and have secured nearly $20 million in investment from some of the smartest investors in Toronto, Boston and Silicon Valley.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

AndrewH wrote:Actually, Stripe's commission for European customers is only 1.4% plus 20 pence. I think they are lining themselves up to compete with HA and Yapstones.

Nemo, I found Stripe staff (in America) quite anxious to be helpful. Brian, or someone there, kept wanting to "reach out" to me, which had me worried, but I later found that all it meant was wanting to contact me by email!
Those rates make the decision quite easy then. I think I'll give it a try. "Reach out" yes, a very US centric term that makes us over the pond shrink away. :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

AndrewH wrote: kept wanting to "reach out" to me, which had me worried, but I later found that all it meant was wanting to contact me by email!
I used to think that "reach out" meant phone, and that if you wanted to contact someone by email you asked them to inbox you.

Now that really does make sense as inbox is shorthand and only has 5 characters, whereas the word email has 5 characters :roll:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
tavi

Post by tavi »

I thought reach out meant contact in a very general sense, covering the whole spectrum.............from phone to telepathy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

'Reach Out' was by the Four Tops (1966) so it's not new .... :lol:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
NeatandPicky

WaveApps

Post by NeatandPicky »

Thanks v much for the tip, Larry / Villa Antonio. Have registered with WaveApps / Stripe and created some professional-looking draft invoices.

I have linked the Stripe end to my bank account, but have stopped short of giving WaveApps all my online banking info. (Think this is to enable them to offer additional services I don't need.)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Does wave put a limit on transaction amounts Larry? I can't see that info anywhere.
Also how long does it take for the money to reach your account?

Mousie (still looking for a cc payment system)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have set some draft invoices up and apparently accepted credit cards but it is not clear how this all works! It then led me to connect a bank account which I thought was to receive payments but I'm not sure that was the case, so I disconnected it again. It was showing a bank statement under transactions so I think that's a step too far!
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.