Gites de France

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
limousin-cottage

Gites de France

Post by limousin-cottage »

I have just read this on another site. Is it true that Gites de France take a percentage of all bookings?? I am considering registering my little gite with them, so I can continue to get the higher tax allowance on the rental income. If this is the case I can't see any reason to register with them!

''The Gite de France requirements are quite specific and the cost and conditions of being registered with them (they take a percentage of ALL rental income whether booked through them or not) means that foreign gîte owners very often rely on marketing their properties through other means, very often direct marketing via a site like FrenchEntrée and with a website dedicated to the property''
GRL

Post by GRL »

I did look at GdF - they wanted a subscription of 50% of one peak week - so that would be £225 for me and a £200 registration fee. I also looked at how many bookings other similar gites had in the area and they were all less than what I already had when I was looking. I therefore decided against joining them.
limousin-cottage

Rosie wrote:I did look at GdF - they wanted a subscription of 50% of one peak week - so that would be £225 for me and a £200 registration fee. I also looked at how many bookings other similar gites had in the area and they were all less than what I already had when I was looking. I therefore decided against joining them.
I can see why! :shock: Considering the small amount I earn from my little place I may as well carry on paying the higher rate of tax. You say off one peak week Rosie - however the part I copied and pasted above (I think it was off French Connections) says a percentage of ALL bookings? I know there are other organisations that you can register with, rather than GDF, and still keep the 71% allowance?
CarolineH

Post by CarolineH »

It's a long, long time since I looked at them, but at that time, they offered several models of commission and/or one off payments.

Do consider their effectiveness though, I know a lot of French owners who always had all of their bookings through GdF, because French tourists used to use them as the defacto, but now the french use the internet listing sites and find rental properties through other means than GdF - so lots of the bookings are drying up. I know lots of people who have dropped them because the results aren't good enough.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I am not sure how they can take 10% of all bookings - how can they prove you haven't simply blocked off a week for maintenance or friends/family or given a really low rate for soe reason or other?
limousin-cottage

CarolineH wrote:It's a long, long time since I looked at them, but at that time, they offered several models of commission and/or one off payments.

Do consider their effectiveness though, I know a lot of French owners who always had all of their bookings through GdF, because French tourists used to use them as the defacto, but now the french use the internet listing sites and find rental properties through other means than GdF - so lots of the bookings are drying up. I know lots of people who have dropped them because the results aren't good enough.
Thank you Caroline. It's not that they need to be effective in attracting bookings really - it's more the fact that if we don't register with one or the other we cease to get our 71% tax allowance on the rentals.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think you can register with other organisations? clevacances is one of them, and perhaps your local tourist office can help?
Bassman

Re: Gites de France

Post by Bassman »

limousin-cottage wrote:I have just read this on another site. Is it true that Gites de France take a percentage of all bookings?? I am considering registering my little gite with them, so I can continue to get the higher tax allowance on the rental income
You can just get your gite classified through your tourist board or other organisations, you dont have to advertise with them just pay a inspection fee every 5 years

You will find your nearest one here
https://www.classement.atout-france.fr/ ... upId=10157
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I noticed in your area its only GdF who give classification, so perhaps you can just pay for the inspection & not advertise? or find another organisation outside your department?
limousin-cottage

Bassman wrote:I noticed in your area its only GdF who give classification, so perhaps you can just pay for the inspection & not advertise? or find another organisation outside your department?
Hopefully we may be able to. Thanks.