Please consider a second referendum....

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I understand that that is being sorted out and "dodgy" votes are being removed.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

All these online petitions have their share of bogus 'signatures'. All they need is 100,000 to have the topic raised in parliament and out of over 3m signatures I suspect that this threshold has probably been exceeded legitimately ;)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote:All these online petitions have their share of bogus 'signatures'. All they need is 100,000 to have the topic raised in parliament and out of over 3m signatures I suspect that this threshold has probably been exceeded legitimately ;)
Exactly. Any petition online or offline with pen and paper could have bogus signatures. There's a big difference between a petition and a vote.

I put my name and put Switzerland as my residence. I'm not allowed to vote but am a British citizen. No idea if that's "allowed" or not.

As it was started by a Leave campaigner and suggested as the way forward in the case of a small margin by Mr Farage himself in May this year, I think it's only right we should respect their wishes. :P
CSE

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

That's the link from the original post....
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

What a difference a few days make. Have paid all our dues into the UK for the required number of years to get our UK state pension. Have also worked in France for last 13 years and paid our very high costs to the French system too. Retirement in sight now and the wham, who knows what we will face between now and our retirement. Love living in France and want to remain but now feeling like there is a "black dog" sitting our our shoulder. All such a mess.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Casscat wrote:That's the link from the original post....
Yep not the right one and the correct one is not working.
So how about these?
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/26/sick-of-r ... n-5967506/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

some interesting stats regarding previous referendum results https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=57F6A49C
Last edited by petitbois on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Why is this topic specific to France ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

e-richard wrote:Why is this topic specific to France ?
We had a referendum and decided to breakaway from the rest of you :wink:
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Bassman wrote:
e-richard wrote:Why is this topic specific to France ?
We had a referendum and decided to breakaway from the rest of you :wink:
Independance for Nouvelle Aquitaine to join the(whats left of the) UK
Come back Richard and Eleanor all is forgiven :D
What would Plato do ?
Essar

Post by Essar »

For all of you living in Europe who want a second referendum should consider that in England the result was 54% leave and 46% stay a far wider margin than the UK average.

You should also consider that when the registration was extended by 48-hours about 1.5m people registered - evidently the majority of these voted to remain. If this hadn't happened the result would have been a majority nearer 3M to leave.

The UK is already in the EU; therefore, the leave voters had to get out and vote if they really wanted to leave - which they did - 17M of them. The remainers either thought they were going to walk it and left to everyone else of they didn't register (the young) or they didn't vote.

The polled 11% undecided were evenly split between remain and leave.

If the remain camp had won by the same margin as the leave camp did, would you consider allowing a second referendum - I bet I know the answer to that.

There is no use bleating because you lost and that the "people" made the wrong choice; perhaps we should keep on having referendums (dii?) until the "right" result is obtained like they did in Ireland.

As for parliament trying to overturn the referendum result because it doesn't suit; then let them dare. The Media and the London elite are the ones doing all the moaning about the result and talking about not passing it through parliament - this further shows their absolute and total lack of understanding of the majority of the English people's will - they still don't get it.

All referendums in the UK are termed "advisory"; however, Cameron put through an act of parliament that stated that the result would be honoured. Parliament voting against abolishing the original EEC/EU acts would be unlawful in this respect.

Those in the areas that overwhelmingly voted to remain (main London) didn't turn out in big enough numbers to make a difference and therefore the minority who voted leave in those areas helped to win it for the leave camp.

Scotland can only pass legislation asking for another independence referendum; but it will be Westminster that decides if it happens - don't hold your breath; for all her drum banging Wee Burney knows that the economics in Scotland are not in her favour - she knows she can't have a 2nd vote anytime soon - but will make a lot of noise in the meantime.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
tavi

Post by tavi »

essar _ I'm not sure why you're quoting the results for England - why not also mention that:
Scotland was leave 38% remain 62%,
or N.Ireland leave 44.2% and remain 55.8%,
or Wales leave 52.5% remain 47.5%

making the total that we now know with a 3.8% difference between the two results.

I personally support the idea that the majority is just too small to base an irrevocable, far-reaching constitutional change, especially if the elected government is not going to treat the referendum as merely an advisory tool. A General Election is small-fry compared to this, since in a GE, you only have to live with your decision for 5 years then you can change your mind!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You always write good posts Essar but disappointed that you had to sneak the word elite into that one. The so called elite who were rebelled against will no doubt just readjust themselves and profit once again from this mess.

Billions wiped off the stock market in just one day. Where did that money go? Not to the poor and needy that's for sure.

I respect your decision and yours is no doubt based on some good strong facts which you believe in. I can respect this and that is what democracy is all about. You no doubt worked it all out in Excel :P I'm 100% sure that you were not one of those that actually believed leaving the EU would instantly save £350m which could then be spent on the NHS.

However, the majority you talk about is also composed of those you voted out of revenge, out of envy of those they consider better off, out of false promises, out of dislike for the current government and in some cases out of racism because they thought it meant we'd no longer have any immigration. Yes you are in the majority that voted Leave but in a fairly small subset than genuine thought the EU is not good for the country based on understanding of the world and economics.

This whole thing was a farce but we all have to live with it now.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

kevsboredagain wrote:
However, the majority you talk about is also composed of those you voted out of revenge, out of envy of those they consider better off, out of false promises, out of dislike for the current government and in some cases out of racism because they thought it meant we'd no longer have any immigration. Yes you are in the majority that voted Leave but in a fairly small subset than genuine thought the EU is not good for the country based on understanding of the world and economics.

This whole thing was a farce but we all have to live with it now.
+1

An elderly lady i know thought her leave vote would be towards Farrage becoming Prime-minster.