lost DVDs and other missing bits?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

LOL- the most important room of all :-) :lol:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

We have recently returned to our apt after 7 straight weeks of rental and I was mildly apprehensive.

We gained quite a few kiddies pool inflatables, which is good. A very expensive tall lamp had been moved from one end of the lounge to the other, rather strange. A wheelie thing to put toiletries on in the shower room had turned into a vegetable rack in the kitchen, even stranger. The most odd was that in every wardrobe were a collection of cheapy plastic coat hangers, even though I supply about a dozen nice wooden ones in each wardrobe. After a quick count I realised lots of the nice ones were missing and was a bit horrified that one of my guests must have had to buy some BUT on closer inspection found all of the missing hangers on the wardrobe shelf.......why ????????

It doesn't so much annoy me as perplex me, you know.....which one of them did it, why did they do it. :?
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi again Partridge :D

Glad youve found another thread[sadly youve found me again though] :cry:

Here goes the hanger dilemma is simple[ish][as am I]
Lots of people take spare hangers as youre not sure how many will be supplied until they get to your house & you cant have too many etc :roll:

Also some people pack some of their stuff still on the hangers so they can just hang them up the other end{I know cause Ive done it]without unpacking everything.

You do come unstuck in some hotels as theyve got ones where the metal bits stay on the pole and you hook the wooden attachments to them[saves them going walkies I expect]

On the subject of moving furniture we had a whole bedroom moved round once [the spare bedroom which wed never used]then I realised that it was easier if they needed to use the extra pull out bed and so left it that way.

Theres nothing like someone actually using the room to see what works. :wink: [So maybe the lamp is in a better location now?]

What really bugs me and I know its silly is....cushions......I love cushions on beds,sofas, everywhere.
And of course they all have to match the decor & each other.

When I go back, there all mixed up in different rooms.[even in different houses]we have 2 next to each other.....whats that about.

Theyre all cream , but i have a theme going.[dont ask]
But worse than that the cherub ones are always upside down,doing handstands,makes me uneasy even now thinking about it.
These cherubs waiting until I go in Oct to rescue them. :cry:

I even colour co-ordinate the books which of course are moved[except for the boring ones which I just dust] :roll:

Sad but true :cry:

So next time you see your hangers think of me with my cherubs & uncoordinated books :cry: :cry:
A-two

Post by A-two »

Gascony Goat wrote:But when does the labelling stop?
Once you print up the sheets of labels, it takes about 10 seconds for each one! I use Avery white mailing labels, 80 to a sheet, 1/2" x 1-3/4". (normal return address label), that say "Name of House Library". I have a logo for the house, so they don't look bad and I would rather do this than lose them altogether. I stick one label on the face of the DVD disc itself and another one on the box cover. I haven't lost one DVD, but 2 extras left by mistake were easy to spot.

A few large hard back glossy guide books were very expensive, so they are labeled conspicuously on the spine. I don't mark the board games or toys, neither paperbacks, which are rather like wire coat hangers, they breed, so happy for them to be taken away.

I give each guest a fresh map marked "You Are Here" and guide booklet, as these are provided to me free through the local Promotional Council. If you have a local Tourist Information place, you can probably pick some up from there.

One thing I wish I had done when I started this, and now almost too late, is to ask guests not to remove the shells from the beach. It's mainly sugar sand, but there were some lovely shells scattered about that the children used to love collecting and sorting, but these are now scarce, most having gone home in suitcases. That's about the only thing that has upset me.
Last edited by A-two on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Joanna :)

Ive got a supply of tourist maps as well, but find they will only give me one at a time as we have 2 houses and needed quite a few for the season Ive had to pop in at different times to pick a few up[in disguise of course].

Its a shame about the shells, but the problem is that if you say theyre scarce they might take even more of them home as cpollectors items :wink: :wink:
enid

Post by enid »

Ros - if you're sad you have company - Fraise and I always take time to make sure the wooden hangers are all pointing the same way :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Pray tell ,which is the right way[just so I know][and dont just say the way I do it!!!] :wink:

Also what way round should a toilet roll be? :roll:

Do you have to toilet paper running down next to the wall or on the far side of the wall?????[or just plonked on the top like I have at home....or empty if my husband just been....Grrr.. :evil:

Oprah had a whole programme about this once[sad...but even sadder that I watched...] but cant remember what the outcome was..[probably fell asleep. :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

enid wrote:Ros - if you're sad you have company - Fraise and I always take time to make sure the wooden hangers are all pointing the same way :D
Me too Enid! And the loo rolls here are always with paper outermost. But Ros, colour co-ordinating the books? Do I sense things are going a little too far in Torrevieja?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Too Far in Torrevieja :?:[whatever do you mean?????]
[least you can spell it doesnt happen very often,but can you pronounce ?,]

It took a while for us.My husband bought a keyring with it written and when anyone asked where we had bought he shew[is that right] it to them[the keyring....] :wink:

Anyway it could be worse I could get them cardboard thingies that look like books.....[theyres an idea] :idea: maybe something that looks like cushions.... :idea: Cardboard guests...so they wouldnt make a mess...[Youve started me off now :!: ] :idea:

Im in a funny mood today be warned[Im also using a lot of....] :roll:

This from someone who has [hangars hanging ?]
[dont think youd have room]
hangers ,hanging pointing North, South ,inward, outward, shake it all aboutward[what if we havent a compass handy] :wink: :roll: :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Loo roll paper deffo not next to the wall,it's more aesthetically pleasing with the paper outermost ( prob easier for the goat to nibble as well ) and easier to use. :oops:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Talking of loo paper....do you know it is really hard to get anything blue ( yes, I know- should be white!!) so when I saw some blue loo rolls in Bordeaux I got carried away and bought loads. Once opened I discovered that the blue was on one side only- the other side undyed, so it HAS to be paper side out , rather than hanging next to the wall, if I want the blue side !! Well, fascinating hey :?:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Fraise wrote: easier to use :oops:
Deffo Frise! But a bit bland on the tastebuds - defunct toasters are more my line and other junk food of that nature.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fraise. :D

That sounds posh
Reminds me of we stayed in a posh Hotel in Madeira[lovely place well worth a visit!!!] 8)

My husband was in the Loo for a Long time[as they do..] and came out with a bit of Loo Paper in His Hand and said Smell This!!! :shock:, after a bit of reluctance I did..

It was perfumed[now theres posh...] :wink: :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh, a lot of the loo paper round here is perfumed, isn't it in Spain? I'm not sure how happy I am at putting a load of chemicals in important little places tho !! :oops:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Ros

Thanks for clearing that one up for me and yes, actually we have left the lamp where it is funnily enough.

Well I go for paper facing out aswell but hangers facing in. I'm glad to have found other 'obsessives' as the first thing I did was throw away all the coloured wired ones. My husband said 'but why, it means there are less hangers' but I couldn't bare to see my hangers uncoordinated :oops:

As for cushions, well I gave up on them after one season. They did look lovely on the bed but by the end of my first season they had greasy looking stains on them which wouldn't come out in the wash. I have saved some for our own bedroom which to be honest rarely come out of the locked cupboard but look good in the photos. I do feel guilty that the photos show cushions that are not there but I think I can just about live with that. :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm