Building/Contents Insurance - Double check yours!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Guest3

Building/Contents Insurance - Double check yours!

Post by Guest3 »

Just by chance I had our bank look at our buildings/contents policy today and was horrified to learn that our public liability insurance is only 150,000 euros, also that we were covered for 3rd party but only for family or friends staying at the villa...not covered for anyone in our employ i.e. pool cleaner/gardener, cleaner ...also found out that the insurers would not pay out if guests accidently set the house on fire!

When I arranged the policy I specifically told the agent we were renting the villa for short term holiday lets and wanted a policy to reflect total cover. When I received the policy I did read it through, but interpreted everything totally differently...and accepted the agents confirmation that the villa was insured correctly...but basically I have not been properly covered for the last 3 years :shock:

I thought from reading our policy we were covered for 3 million euros for public liability...the figure is there in the section 'Public Liability'. After a phone call to the agent she confirmed that PL was 150,000 and that was the amount Groupama have fixed it to...the max they would go up is 300,000 euros, but I would have to pay more towards the policy. I've faxed her the portion of the policy where it states the figure 3m and I am waiting for a phone call from the agent to explain this to me.

I am absolutely fuming as the agent just seemed to calmly brush off any concerns with.."yes I remember we discussed holiday rentals.....well this company is very good...and are not like other insurance companies that require alot more detailed information....I shouldn't worry, we'll arrange a supplement to the policy" :evil:

In the meantime I have asked my bank to get me more information on their own buildings/contents insurance with cover for short term holiday rental.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

To update..got the exact policy I need from Intasure...Public Liability £2million...with no condition re. if the villa was not occupied for 'ex' amount of weeks etc. short term holiday lets with full accidental cover, 'domestic employees' covered...etc etc...for the same amount as the Spanish cover!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Crystal :D

Can you give as a ballpark figure so we know if were near the mark :P
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

OK...Give you more than that!
Presently insured with Groupama...

1. 400 euros per year
2. 150,000 EUROS public liability, max 300,000 euros but cannot increase until renewal!
3. No accidental damage..i.e. if a guest sets the house on fire by leaving a chip pan on...or cigarette burning etc
4. No employees covered..i.e. gardener, pool cleaner, cleaner
5. Positive that I am not covered for short term holiday rentals...policy very vague!

Intasure

1. 430 euros per year
2. 2 millionGBP public liability
3. Accidental damage covered
4. Employees covered
5. Full cover even when the villa is unoccupied

Changing insurers as of tomorrow!
Last edited by Guest3 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roxytoo

insurance

Post by roxytoo »

I can second that for Intasure

Just also taken a policy with them, seems to have everything that my other one didn't at maybe a little more but well worth paying that for!
paolo

Re: Building/Contents Insurance - Double check yours!

Post by paolo »

Crystal wrote:also found out that the insurers would not pay out if guests accidently set the house on fire!
I don't know the situation in Spain but this sounds like France, where thousands of homes are rented without cover for accidental damage like fire. Your insurance company will claim off your renter's insurance, and if there isn't any, you are left with nothing.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I don't know the situation in Spain but this sounds like France, where thousands of homes are rented without cover for accidental damage like fire. Your insurance company will claim off your renter's insurance, and if there isn't any, you are left with nothing.
Paolo..After the hassle I've had checking out Spanish Insurers...I've double-checked this issue with Intasure...and if you pay an additional amount you are covered for 'Accidental Damage' which includes if the house is set on fire accidentally by guests. A little more to pay but with alot more peace of mind!
paolo

Post by paolo »

That's good. My understanding is that in France there is no such thing as an accident, so your home insurance will want to be paid by the insurer of whoever set fire to the house. If that person isn't insured, you get nothing.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Crystal

My policies with Axa , have claimed for a damaged marble sink[by clients] with no problems.[& no excess]
Im sure I havent got the liability bit though so need to look into it.

Its due for renewal how could I look at Intasure are they on the web
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Hi Ros...they are on the internet, but I've pm'd you contact details.