First timers - any tips?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
scowen

First timers - any tips?

Post by scowen »

As an introduction, we are a couple from the UK in our 30s who have moved to Hungary for a change of lifestyle.

Due to the low property prices here, we have sold our UK property and managed to buy a house in the countryside with outbuildings to eventually be rented out to tourists and also we have just got the keys to our new apartment in a town about 20 minutes away which has a thermal lake and year round tourism.

I am now starting the huge task of researching how to run a holiday let, as the apartment needs a small amount of work then it is ready to go.

any tips on what to look out for are appreciated, especially in the bookings side of things and how people can pay for their booking. We are looking to list on Booking.com / tripadvisor as these seem to be the most popular sites for apartments in the area.

Thanks!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Scowen and welcome to the forum.

You are asking very broad questions, so it is difficult to know where to start. Have you tried using the search function on the site to read around a subject and then perhaps ask more specific questions? And tell us a bit more about the size of your apartment?

People here will be very willing to help and support you. I wish you every success.

For a start, with regard to furnishing your apartment, there is good information on Visit England which details exactly what is needed for graded self catering properties (2, 3, 4, 5 star). The advice on facilities will help you to make the right choices and purchases so that you can furnish your property to the highest standard and maximise rental income.

http://www.qualityintourism.com/quality ... -catering/
Beach Hostess

Post by Beach Hostess »

Hi, I am also somewhat new to the hospitality biz. I have a beach cottage in Va,USA. This was my first season. There is a huge learning curve,but with research and all the great advice from LMH,you will do fine. One thing I learned is to be very careful if you allow a rental group to exceed the max occupancy. I allowed a family with 6 children (3 persons over the limit) and boy was I sorry! A broken fridge, filthy furniture and lots of grief.But, we all have to learn...
The tide will return.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Welcome and All the best for your new venture!!! Lots of tremendous advice on LMH....We also read every book we could find on the subject of running a B&B, researched & read about the customs of our adoptive country, asked long time expats lots of questions, learnt the language and hired an excellent accountant who was recommended by other ex-pats.....
aasta
Beach Hostess

Post by Beach Hostess »

Thank you. Looking forward to the journey!
The tide will return.
JanB

Post by JanB »

Congratulations Scowen on a new way of life.

You ask about ways of guests paying for their stay. If you intend to use booking.com or TA, or any other of the main listing sites you will set up a payment facility through them, usually attached to your Paypal account or your bank account and guests are able to pay on a credit card through the sites.

These days, bank transfers are not seen as a great way of getting guest payment due to fraud and many of the main listing sites actively advise guests against this. Although, with some direct bookings, I have accepted payments this way; the more methods you have the better, in my opinion.

My main advice in setting up would be to try to look at things from the guest perpective - how would you like things to be if you were staying somewhere and, for me, it is all in the welcome. So, from the moment the guest arrives their experience is a good one, which usually sets the scene. My mantra was always "this is someone's holiday which they have looked forward to and dreamed about, so every detail matters".

Cleanliness is absolutely paramount and sounds simple but the one mistake often made is in underestimating the time needed to give a thorough clean after each guest to ensure absolutely no evidence of previous incumbant.

Good quality beds are also key, cheap mattresses are guaranteed to prevent a good night's sleep!

I am sure others will offer their most valuable tips, just to give you a start. Dont be daunted - knowledge is power and just enjoy it.

Good luck!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Welcome Scowen. As Zebedee says, you will probably find all you need to know on the LMH. If you can't, just come back and ask. I would add a couple of planning pointers.

Establish any Hungarian or local regulations you have to follow.

I'm sure you have drawn up a business plan for your holiday portfolio, including costings. Once you have trawled the LMH site you should know what to consider in more detail and where your risks are in the holiday letting business.

Your real bonus is being in an all year round resort. Good luck.
The best things in life are free
declanja

Post by declanja »

Welcome. My advice is to add LMH to you favourites list and every time you have a question, use the search facility on LMH to find information. I am a member for 8 years and continue to do this and continue to learn. In time you will feel confident to start contributing to the general discussions and start sharing your experiences. Declan