I-Pod - actually I don't but do you?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Badger,

Don't apologize for resurrecting a thread! Actually I'm glad you did that instead of starting a new thread -- helps keep the forum organized and more useful to newcomers.

Besides the USB cord tethered to the computer, my iPod can be charged while it's sitting in its dock on my alarm clock or anytime it's near an outlet. For the latter case, I bought an adapter from Apple which plugs into an outlet -- very handy.

I also used to have an iTrip for my car, which allowed my iPod to plug in to the cigarette lighter. When I bought it, it was only $30 or so, but when I went to get a replacement after my car was broken into, the same model was $80! It's made by a third-party company and I guess they figured out that iPod owners are used to paying through the nose for accessories (the wall outlet adapter was not particularly cheap either, considering what a simple device it is). I refused to pay more than 250% of the original price and now I just don't charge my iPod in the car. But the option does exist.

LV, I suppose it depends on what part of the market you're targeting. If a Bose iPod player is a significant fraction of your weekly rent, then maybe that's not for you. You could look instead at a less-expensive model like the iHome (I have their alarm clock model and it's fine, though of course the sound quality doesn't compare to a Bose or Klipsch).

The other option, and the one we took for our rental, was to buy a general stereo which has both AUX and USB inputs. The Bose speakers for the iPod only play music from iPods, correct? But not all of our clients have iPods -- some have other mp3 players, and some have CDs with mp3s, some have plain CDs, some want to listen to the radio. Our stereo handles all those contingencies and also accepts iPods through the USB port. And as a bonus, I burned an mp3-CD with a large selection of music to keep at the house, so even if someone brings no music at all, they can choose to listen to the music we have available.
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I suppose if you have a super luxury rental, bose speakers are OK, but I couldn't justify them. iPod/MP3 speakers are on my shopping list for all the gites, most people bring them on holiday now and they are far more practical for listening to music than a CD Hifi/DVD player. I love my iTrip too, so does my daughter!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

La Vache wrote:iPod/MP3 speakers are on my shopping list for all the gites, most people bring them on holiday now and they are far more practical for listening to music than a CD Hifi/DVD player. I love my iTrip too, so does my daughter!
They're on mine, too, LV! I'm feeling a bit stone-age here, as I'm still stuck in the CD/DVD mould !! :lol: In fact, I have a guilty admission: I've no idea how to do the mp3 stuff...let alone burn an mp3 CD with music on (great idea, Brooke). I should do some googling to get up to speed. Better still: book a techie lesson with my 13-year old 8)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think I will get a CD player with a USB/audio jack connection so people can plug in their mp3 to that. I am not going to get an ipod dock as we all have Sony mp3's which I don't think will fit in. I do have a some docking speakers for that though I use it at home quite a bit in the conservatory.
Martha

Post by Martha »

A note about speakers...our nice new stereo has got a bit damaged, it looks pretty clear that someone moved the speakers and dropped one. Just an accident, no doubt, but it's a pain. So we are now running the wires up to speakers attached to brackets on the walls, so they can't be moved.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Don't be so sure Firebug! My friend actually chased his into the grouting in the tiles and secured them to a cupboard he had the CD player in.....he had guests who chipped the wire out, unsecured them and had them playing in the garden! :shock:

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well just to stick my two cents worth in -

I've been reviewing Ipod docks recently (with a view to putting one in next year) and many of them seem to come with adaptors for other MP3 players.

Wall-chargers for ipods are widely available for very little - most come with built-in UK/US/Continental plug adaptors.

I have a Bose CD/Radio in the rental house and the sound is absolutely stunning, so I'm very disappointed to hear that their Ipod dock is less that brill.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Mouse: Oh my!! :shock: How awful! We are thinking of getting some outdoor speakers as I'm pretty sure some people will want music in the hot tub - I hope no-one goes to those lengths!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I won't tell you what they were doing with the water pump :shock: Amazing to think they actually came away with a set of tools to do all that :shock:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!