I-Pod - actually I don't but do you?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Mountain Goat

I-Pod - actually I don't but do you?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Shifting through rental listings for ideas and what we're missing on our site (to be) I've seen I-Pod-friendly stereos being listed as a feature, or some sort of I-Pod charger station with link to CD-Player / TV or whatever.

I know next-to-nothing about I-Pods, but is this something you would consider as a worthwhile feature for your property?

Or can one grade it next to a cork-screw on the feature list (surprisingly common)?

The gear seems to be around £45 or so. Easily snitched as well I would have thought.

Goat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I've just come from Poppy's post on maximum headroom requirements for bedrooms. If you haven't read it yet Goatie, take a peek and you'll find your answer!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

GG
No, I give in.

What are I-Pods to do with headroom? I've tried every pun combination possible....

Goat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh Goat, I was only referring to the concerns on the one hand, of Poppy's re satisfying guests by giving them sufficient headroom, and yours on the other, as to whether an i-Pod should be on your shopping list. Having come straight from one topic to this one, I was struck by the contrast.

I think for £45 there's only £45 to lose if it walks, and it would be an additional feature to list; maybe one day soon we'll all be having to supply them; big screen TV's seem to be essential items already in holiday homes in certain parts of the world, so demand for bigger and better technology will gradually grow everywhere, I suspect.

Next it'll be live entertainment? :lol:

PS: how do you decide what colour you're going to sign off in after each post? Does it depend on your mood, just as it might with a choice of tie, or what? Don't anyone else tell me goats don't wear ties - this one does, I'm sure!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

GG
Oh, thanks, I see; sort of.

Live entertainment? We've got it already - a permanent family of Swiss badgers have moved in, much to the delight of guests.

If Wayne and Co. are actually heading out there for their winter season (no sign of them recently), together with the resident foxes, a few Woodles and myself we've really got the basis of a circus (still very popular en suisse). Watch this space.

I think it's probably screen problems with your Mac?

Tie? Weddings and funerals only, I'm afraid.

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hi Goat,
Yes, I find it a real plus, we have always taken our own speakers which plug in directly to the ipod and used it loads on group snowboarding holidays.

Speakers are quite heavy so not having to bring them is a definite bonus. We are providing an ipod dock with charger in ours - I forgot to put this on the site so thanks for the reminder!
You don't have to do this though, you can just buy a jack which is much cheaper...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Firebug, hi

Thanks for all this.

But I guess I-Pod users normally have a power pack with them?

I just didn't want to fall into the corkscrew-included-group if we just had the jack to 'feature'.

Goat
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mountain Goat wrote:Tie? Weddings and funerals only, I'm afraid.
But Goat, what ties! In goat quarters, your name is equated with the very essence of sartorial elegance!

BTW, how long did it take you to type that post-before-last, Goat? Never mind, I give up - it must be my Mac again. Or something I ate.

Firebug has given you a sensible answer - thanks Firebug. iPod dock's on the shopping list.
Ju

Post by Ju »

I guess the problem could be one of compatibility. The systems would work with i-pods, but what about other MP3 players? I have no idea what share of the market apple have got but certainly round here there is alot of competition from other manufacturers which are much cheaper.
Martha

Post by Martha »

:D thanks!
Exactly, so there could be advantages to having a jack as well.... they are very inexpensive and they do the trick just fine.
People often forget the charger, I do all the time. I happen to have a spare iPod dock so it might as well go to the chalet. Ebay is probably a good place to get one cheap. ..

re the snitching...the dock is bigger and would be missed immediately so would be unlikely to go...OR if you're worried you could sticky-pad it to the top of the stereo I suppose?

The jacks I would honestly expect to lose one every so often :/
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I would think it'd be fine to just have an aux input that can connect to an iPod or any other player, the way headphones do.

But those iPod docks (any iPod accessory, actually) are expensive and portable, so be sure your cleaner checks for it every week.
Brooke
A-two

Re: I-Pod - actually I don't but do you?

Post by A-two »

Mountain Goat wrote:some sort of I-Pod charger station with link to CD-Player / TV or whatever[...]The gear seems to be around £45 or so.
Goat
Great post. Your progressive thinking is a real asset to this community. What are you looking at buying exactly? Please expand on Model number etc..... $90 is hardly going to break the bank on a high end rental and a real "value added" item. I hardly think anyone is going to take something that is "featured" on all your online advertising, it's only the little things that disappear.

Joanna
(who is currently hunting the potato masher)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmm Joanna - featured or not, if it's portable...?? It's not simply the expense of replacing items like that, it's the inconvenience.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Jane,
We have never once been victims of petty theft (unless you count sea shells) and it's inconceivable to me that any of our guests would take anything deliberately. An electronic charger that is hard wired into a TV/ hi-fi system is not the kind of thing you could accidentally put in your suitcase or throw out with the trash, but if in doubt, stick a label on it. The only concern might be breakage by misuse, but if it's only a charger, even that seems very low risk.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Joanna wrote:and it's inconceivable to me that any of our guests would take anything deliberately
Yes, I thought the same too! There's always a first time... but I agree, if something's hard wired in, the likelihood is significantly reduced. To be fair to our guests, we have also had the odd (and normal) tradesman in to effect repairs, and not always under the eye of the caretakers, so we'll never know who's responsible - especially when things aren't missed immediately they go walkies.

But, (sorry folks for the slight detour!), over to the techies again: