Bikers

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Sarah

Bikers

Post by Sarah »

Hi all

We've just got a booking for May next year, someone who enquired a couple of weeks ago. It's a group of 6 men and their motorbikes. They are aged between 35 and 55 and say that they want a quiet base to explore the area and will be no trouble.

My gut reaction is to give it a go, but my husband is dead set against it. We had bikers last year and they were wonderful but it was a mixed sex group and they were all retired.

Help, what to do, I really am in a quandry.

Sarah
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Why not? I don't know much about bikers but can't see any potential harm ? :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks Fraise, I'm personally more nervous about the family coming in April with 5 children.

My husband say's he's a man and therefore knows better than I do what men are like when they go on holiday in a gang :lol: .
gh

Post by gh »

Are you on site Sarah? If yes, you can keep an eye on things and perhaps ask them for a larger deposit, see how they take it.

Have to say, we have a few friends of 40 to 50+ a Doctor Police motor cyclist etc, who bike and would never cause a problem, it's a kind of 'oh no bikers' syndrome, a very few are louts the majority............

They tend to be out enjoying the freedom of the quieter country roads.
Vally

Post by Vally »

I cannot see them being difficult , bikers are pretty much of a muchness they love their bikes so will not be doing anything that is going to harm them ie drinking to excess and damaging the bike. They will want to tour, enjoy the windy roads etc. We ran classic motorbike tours for several years only stopped last year when it got too much for Chris, the bikers ( true they were conducted and on our bikes) were great, it was the riding they wanted on our windy traffic free roads. and I'm sure yours will be looking for the same adventure
janskov

Post by janskov »

I am a 62 year old biker. We are nice people - don't worry.
We may have a few beers in the evening, but are very responsible and your husband is definitely out of touch.
I don't think Hells Angels will check in with you - and even if they did, they would probably be very nice to your property too.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm not a biker, but my 72 year old father is (part time) - and I agree with Janskov, I'd have no problem letting out a property to them. The only time I've ever had a problem with guests was when large quantities of alcohol were consumed by the group for a week and bikers would not fall into this category.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Thanks everyone :D

It wasn't so much the biker element of things it was 6 men that worried my husband. But I take your point about bikers generally being a responsible bunch.

Anyway, we've taken the booking, which is great because its a hard to fill May week.

Thanks for your reassuring comments. I'm sure you'll all chip in for the repair bill :lol:

Sarah
Stu

Post by Stu »

Being fairly close to Le Mans, we tend to get a few bikers stay here. They're great fun, usually in the 35-55 age range. We also get the same group of 8 men stay each June for the 24Heures du Mans. They're no trouble and they actualkly 'self-police'. If anyone's out of order they sort it among themselves before we even get to hear of it!

Glad you've taken the booking as there's enough needless discrimination around as it is. More power to your elbow!
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

As another biker, I just hope that they don't let us down. However, the age difference is a good sign - if they were all early 20's, I'd worry.

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My cleanest renters last winter were a bunch of more mature men. Had a wild time in the bars, and left the place spotless, stripped all the beds, and loaded the washing machine.
SmileyT

Bikers

Post by SmileyT »

I have only just read this post but thought I should comment. I had a group of all male bikers this May. They were brilliant, came down for the mountain roads. Left the house spotless and caused no damage at all.I wouldn't hesitate to let them stay again.
cromercrabholiday

Re: Bikers

Post by cromercrabholiday »

teeroe wrote:I have only just read this post but thought I should comment. I had a group of all male bikers this May. They were brilliant, came down for the mountain roads. Left the house spotless and caused no damage at all.I wouldn't hesitate to let them stay again.
Having tried the foothills of the Pyrenees on sports bikes, they were probably too knackered to raise hell. It's hard work both physically and mentally and, by the end of the day, you get to wet rag status.

John
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Vally wrote:
I cannot see them being difficult , bikers are pretty much of a muchness they love their bikes so will not be doing anything that is going to harm them ie drinking to excess and damaging the bike. They will want to tour, enjoy the windy roads etc.
Our friends Bob and Jude (who live in the Dordogne) and ride big BMW bikes are the perfect example of the above quote. Bob's a retired aircraft engineer and Jude's retired from the police force, so they couldn't be more kosher. It's a bit mysterious to me but bikers love to congregate and ride with others of like mind and bang on endlessly about their machines - but, mostly, you couldn't hope to meet a nicer bunch of people.

Indeed, Bob is convinced that bikers represent an area which is largely untapped by gite owners - only needs owners to make their properties a bit more 'bike friendly' to encourage them to book with you. Bob has a blog where he rambles on about biking stuff but he's contactable through the blog by Skype. He's full of ideas about bikers and gites, so, if you're interested, you might give him a call. He's one of those infuriating people who can turn his hand to pretty much anything - so he would be an ideal guest!

Bob's blog is: http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

Jim
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Jimbo,

what a fantastic blog - I think anyone reading that can't fail to be impressed. The biker's life looks/sounds wonderful....must ask Bob how he managed to RETIRE to France at the age of just 46! Sigh, what am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Have just read Blog to the end (it's long!) so now I know sort of how Bob managed to retire so early. He and Jude have obviously made some good choices.

Jenny
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.