Bikers

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Yvain

Bikers

Post by Yvain »

We had an interesting experience earlier this year. We had an enquiry from the Suzuki owners club to take over all our gites (32 in total). We considered it carefully but declined the booking because we were concerned at the noise of so many bikes disturbing our neighbours. I am of a certain age and know quite a few middle aged bikers so had no concerns about the types of people who may turn up

Unfortunately the guy made the assumption that I had an anti-biker attitude and wrote me a very aggressive email accusing me of being the equivalent to a racist and a nazi! I won't hold the attitude of one ignoramus against all bikers, however!
Cassis

Bikers

Post by Cassis »

We had a houseful of bikers for both the Le Mans 24Hrs Moto and the French MotoGP weekends last year and they were all good as gold, great blokes. Both groups have booked again for next year and we'll be pleased to have them.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Well, our bikers leave tomorrow morning and they have been fabulous. Brilliant guests, good fun, very clean and tidy and absolutely no trouble at all.

They said that they come to France every year and often have trouble getting gite owners to take them. We certainly wouldn't think twice about it again.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

But make sure you leave them a dishcloth and washing up liquid to clean their visors - otherwise you may need to boil your bath mitts!
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

A group of bikers hired two of my gites for the May 1st bank holiday weekend - and left the place immaculate. They were out all day, luckily the weather was fine, but no problems at all. They want to come back next year and I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Moooo,

I haven’t re-read this whole thread but it seems to me that those with experience of bikers as guests haven’t reported any problems at all. Those with prejudices have expressed their doubts.

I’ll happily accept bikers again even if they turn out to be a single-sex group.

Fluffy
Stu

Post by Stu »

We too have had bikers stay here and have had nothing but praise for them. We're not so far from Le Mans either and so get a few enquiries around the time of the MotoGP and the 24 Heures du Mans.

They're welcome here anytime!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan Knighting wrote: I’ll happily accept bikers again even if they turn out to be a single-sex group.

Fluffy
:lol: :shock: :lol:
I agree.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Espacially if they are all girls.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Cassis wrote:Espacially if they are all girls.
:lol: I'm sure my husband wouldn't have had second thoughts either.

Not quite so glowing having done the changeover on Monday :( .

They had a 7am start in the morning and it was raining. Got in to start cleaning and found muddy footprints absolutely everywhere, all over the rugs in the living room and a couple of the bedrooms. Breakfast stuff left out on the table and washing up in the sink. Nothing major, but no time to wash rugs so I had to turn them over for this week's guests.

They had been cleaning, even mopping the floor when my husband popped over on Sunday evening so I think someone must have left something in the house and gone back without taking his boots off. Luckily incoming guests flight didn't get into Bergerac until 4.30pm so we had a couple of extra hours.

They did leave lots of beer and some rather superior pool inflatables and were impeccable and very charming whilst they were here. I think they were just in a rush to catch their ferry and I would imagine motorbike boots take quite a long time to get off and on.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

If it's raining I think it takes about an hour for them to get dressed/undressed. :lol:

The muddy boots lark is unfortunate but I don't think it is a general trait of, nor confined to, bikers!
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No.We have the same problem with skiers in the winter. Although ski boots are not allowed in the house, when they are packing to leave, and it is snowing, they are walking in and out with outdoor shoes on.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Cassis wrote:If it's raining I think it takes about an hour for them to get dressed/undressed. :lol:

The muddy boots lark is unfortunate but I don't think it is a general trait of, nor confined to, bikers!
No, thank goodness for sabots, they aren't the sexiest footwear I've ever owned, but they are easy to kick off at the door after returning from the (generally wet at the moment) garden. Maybe I ought to provide some for the guests too??
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

I can tell you, with the weather we've had this month, I could do with a pair. Bit of a come-down after April, or what? I think I heard on the radio that yesterday was the coldest day in England since records began - and I can believe it if the temperature here was anything to go by. :shock:
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Sabots are very practical in Brittany, mine are rubber ones, a bit more comfortable than the wooden ones. I had to do the meet and greet in mine on Saturday because the guests turned up early.
:oops:

The lowest ever temperature for a Test Match was recorded at Headingley on Monday, 7°c.