Bikers

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
jess

Post by jess »

Bob--- are gravel and dirt roads ok, just a solid pad to park on?

Thank you so much for your info on this!
jess
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Jenny, I'm sure Bob will come back on this.

My other half has a Harley parked in our barn. Our driveway is gravel and you get to our house down a 1/2 km track. He would say it's not ideal (obviously tarmac would be better) but its not too much of a problem either.

Like others here we have been thinking about attracting the biking fraternity - the roads in the Langhe are ideal for a sunny ride and so far only the Italians and a couple of Germans seem to have found them!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

jess, Gravel is fine as long as it is not deep and dirt roads are no problem, you should see the one we have to drive to our house, it is on the blog. The main thing is parking. As a 300kg bike sometimes only has a small side stand, the weight of the bike rests on a small inch square piece of metal, that tends to try and sink into the ground so a paving slab or a 8 inch square of plywood is a godsend. Many bikers will bring a plastic pad with them but it can be fiddly getting it into place while sitting on a fully loaded bike.
Going back to the original question on this thread, which was in a way, should you trust bikers, then the poem type post on my blog sums it all up, I had a comment posted by a lady who said she had tears rolling down her face after reading that, and it was not meant to be sad.
Sun is shining today and I can hear the bikes getting restless in the garage. To show you how we bikers feel about our bikes, they sit in a double glazed garage, with strip lights all around them. I have painted the floor in light gray plastic paint and the walls are now brilliant white. There is a trickle battery charger on the wall and they are covered in a blanket each. They never enter the garage dirty, but are washed and dried. Does that sound like the type of person that you would not want in your gite? Food for thought.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dear All,

This thread started because Sarah’s husband was dead set against taking a booking from a group of bikers.

Was that a gut reaction or was it based on an actual experience? Dare I ask, was that a prejudice showing through or was it a well-founded worry?

Can any owner report having had any bad experiences with bikers as guests?

Can any bikers report having had any bad experiences with owners as hosts?

Fluffy
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Bob T wrote:
... they are covered in a blanket each. They never enter the garage dirty, but are washed and dried. Does that sound like the type of person that you would not want in your gite?
Err, Bob ... not too sure.

I understand that you might want to secure your bike under cover for the night. But tucking it up in bed with a mug of cocoa and a story ... ? Most people don't pay that much attention to their spouses or their kids!

I wonder if you've noticed that, around the time of the full moon, your shirt starts to tighten, your throat constricts and it all starts to go a bit hazy ...

Jim
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi again everyone :D

Firstly welcome Bob, you're input is greatly appreciated.

Alan, my husband's concern was mainly about it being a group of men only rather than it being bikers. As I mentioned earlier, we had a mixed sex group of bikers this summer including a granny of 75 and they were wonderful guests and left the place immaculate.

I think my husband's concern was based on the things that he used to get up to on holidays with the lads in his early twenties. He has changed of course but this was the immediate thought that came to mind when we got the booking enquiry.

Anyway as a result of the postive comments from this forum and other friends who have a bit more experience of bikers than us, we happily took the booking and look forward to seeing them in May.

Incidentally, the bikers who stayed this year felt that our property was ideal and in fact said that it was the best gite that they had staying in over many years of biking in France.

They particularly liked the fact that all towels and bed linen was provided (impossible to carry with limited luggage space), there was a drive going from the road right up to the property and that there was a place undercover to put the bikes.

Sarah
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sarah,
I think my husband's concern was based on the things that he used to get up to on holidays with the lads in his early twenties.
He must have been as bad as me.

Fluffy
jess

Post by jess »

Bob--- thank you!

It sounds like your type of group is great for us--- I hope bikers in the US are as considerate (I assume they are, and I do know a few).

Is there anything else to place in a gite to attract (quality) bikers? We're going to market to snowmobilers as well, so we're planning on a mudroom...

We're also thinking of a (nonheated) garage with drive through access, again, for snowmobiles...
jess
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Bob T wrote:Going back to the original question on this thread, which was in a way, should you trust bikers, then the poem type post on my blog sums it all up, I had a comment posted by a lady who said she had tears rolling down her face after reading that, and it was not meant to be sad.
Bob,
The biker died, how is that not sad............. :cry:

Kathy
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Because Kathy, bikers do die, so do car drivers. In fact we all die eventually, but if it is time, then it is best happening while doing something that you enjoy. I would hate to think that when my time comes, it will takes months and I will have to lie in a bed waiting. Best to do things with a smile.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I s'pose so.........it's just that he died because of the total inconsideration of other road users. I hope that others reading it will now be a little bit more aware of bikers :)

Kathy
Gus

Post by Gus »

Sarah, I would be interested to know what your husband would say to a potential booking from six male golfers.
kteee

Post by kteee »

Unfortunately a group of 5 middle aged golfers have been the only people to seriously mess up our apartment - in almost 5 years of renting it out. Amongst other things they woke all the neighbours up at 4am, set off the fire extinguisher - covering everything in light blue powder, scorched a towel by leaving it on a radiator that says 'do not cover', burnt a bedside table by leaving a cigarette burning on the edge of it, sprayed beer around the living room so it smelt like a brewery - and were surprised when they didn't get their security deposit back :shock:

My husband is a keen golfer, but they are now the only group of people that I prefer not to take bookings from, if at all possible - give me a group of bikers any day.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Gus wrote:Sarah, I would be interested to know what your husband would say to a potential booking from six male golfers.
Exactly the same Gus. It was the all male element that worried him.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I was similarly worried about a party of 4 male skiers last winter. However, they were actually the best guests, left us and our keyholder a gift, the place was spotless and they;d even stripped the beds and put the washing machine on before they left at 6.30 in the morning.