Prices and advertising

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi All,

Because I was receiving enquiries for 2007 (I have both gites booked for one week in May and one week in August already, and some other enquiries - just through Visit France!) I have just upped the prices a little for the moment. I have the builders in renovating the roof and it's surprising how distracting it is. Should be finished this coming week, thank goodness especially as they have put the scaffolding up against my Sky dish and I can't watch telly this weekend.:cry: :x :evil:

The draft website is taking shape - how can I attach a Word document so that you can all see it and comment? I will have to commit to the webmaster soon so that the site can be completed, but I would like your comments on my Word draft first if possible. I also need a professional photographer to take pics - anyone know of one in my area, Vienne/Deux Sevres border on RN10?

Plans for the renovation of the little cottage are taking shape (it is going to be so sweet) and I managed to buy a ping-pong table on special offer yesterday. Now I just have to put it together, but will need a hunky man to help me coz it's very heavy.

Having been to the bank this morning to set up several savings accounts (wierd banking here in France!) and popped into a friend's for coffee, lit the woodburner (which requires the gathering of logs), tied up the vine across the front of the house because it was interfering with the shutters, clipped part of the box hedge with the cordless clippers which gave out on me too soon, I am now going to have a cup of tea and a read!

A bientot, mes amis.

Lou :)
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
enid

Post by enid »

You sound as though you have been here for years!!!! :D
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

La vie en France en hiver est tout a fait different de la vie en ete, n'est-ce pas? C'est completement le contraire.

Les Francais amient le fait que je peut parler Francais. J'ai recu beaucoup de compliments, et j'etais inviter pour dejeuner a la maison de mon voisin Fracais et son fille et beau-fils le dimanche dernier. Nous pouvions manger dans le jardin sans aucun manteau parce qu'il faisait si beau. Maintenant, il fait tellement froid.

Showing off, me????? Pas possible.....
Louise
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Pardone?????
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Loopy Lou wrote:La vie en France en hiver est tout a fait different de la vie en ete, n'est-ce pas? C'est completement le contraire.

Les Francais amient le fait que je peut parler Francais. J'ai recu beaucoup de compliments, et j'etais inviter pour dejeuner a la maison de mon voisin Fracais et son fille et beau-fils le dimanche dernier. Nous pouvions manger dans le jardin sans aucun manteau parce qu'il faisait si beau. Maintenant, il fait tellement froid.

My school French is sadly lacking (especially tenses) but I'll have a go for you Ros.
French life in the winter is very different to the summer isn't it, it is a complete contrast.
The French like it that I can speak French. I have received many compliments, and I was invited for dinner at my French neighbours last sunday. We could eat in the garden without ****because it was still beautiful. But it was slightly cold.
Showing off, me, not possible.

Something like that anyway, but most impressive, your French friends should be impressed and you should be very pleased with yourself :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Loopy Lou,
Oh! really?

If you were showing off you were writing about it without accents and that’s not too good.

Yes, summer and winter routines in France are two totally different things. In summer we eat out and in winter we eat in. What pleases me is that we eat with our friends, be they French or otherwise.

Rather than dishing out compliments my French friends and neighbours are amused by the fact that I think I can “speak� French; at least they are amused at the way in which I do it. The same applies to my Spanish, German and Italian friends; they’re all amused by my attempts at their languages. Mind you, that also applies to my English speaking friends. After a few drinks, being a Geordie, my English becomes amusing.

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Nous pouvions manger dans le jardin sans aucun manteau parce qu'il faisait si beau. Maintenant, il fait tellement froid.
manteau --> is that a coat? That stuck in my head for some reason.

Slightly cold. Oh, to be in a slightly cold place in November. :)

Alas, at least for me, reading/writing and speaking are two very, very different things.
Brooke
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

La vie en France en hiver est tout a fait different de la vie en ete, n'est-ce pas? C'est completement le contraire.

Life in France in the winter is completely different to life in the summer, isn't it. It's completely the contrary. (i.e. you have to thrash about with shutters and wood for the woodburners and it takes half-an-hour to get ready for the day in the mornings and a similar length of time when night falls in winter, rather than just wandering out of doors with a cup of tea on balmy summer mornings)

The French like the fact that I can speak French. I have received many compliments and I was invited to lunch by my French neighbour and his daughter and son-in-law last Sunday. We were able to eat in the garden without any coats because the weather was to lovely. Now, it is extremely cold.

Fluffy, if you can tell me how to get accents on a MAC on this forum, I will be pleased to use them. Or I suppose I could cut and paste from Word, if I can be bothered.

No telly this week-end because the roofers put their scaffolding right up against my sky dish. Drat it. No X Factor, no Strictly Come Dancing, no Antiques Road Show, no ancient films, no Archers on the radio. I can't even get my DVD and Video to work because I have lost my remote controls. Sob. :cry:
Louise
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Loopy,

Im VERY impressed with your French well done...[but please always include subtitles for the hard of thinkng[me]]

And Partridge..well done on your translation seems to be pretty accurate..... :wink:

Sounds a lovely part of the world...

On more pressing matters ...
can't even get my DVD and Video to work because I have lost my remote controls. Sob.
Have you looked in the male member of the housesholds hand....I know its where ours usually is.... :wink: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Loopy Lou,
Fluffy, if you can tell me how to get accents on a MAC on this forum, I will be pleased to use them. Or I suppose I could cut and paste from Word, if I can be bothered.
I haven't the first idea. On a Windows system one can use Word or Character Map or the ALT sequences, for instance, è is ALT 0232, é is ALT 0233 and ê is ALT 0234, do they work on a MAC?

Fluffy
enid

Post by enid »

Lou - I'd do it in pages then copy it in. Or look here:

http://french.about.com/cs/writing/ht/macaccents.htm

I have a French keyboard - dead easy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Wouldnt be for me Enid :cry: trust me...my English keyboaRD STill pLAys me up :wink: :roll: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,
I tried a French keyboard - once. Being a touch typist the results in both French and English were "interesting" to say the least. Actually, I finished up with complete gibberish.

Those who know me well would say “what’s new with that?�

Fluffy
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Lou

I guessed you didn't know how to do the accents on the computer seeing as your French was so good, so I wouldn't bother about trying to find them, hey, I managed to translate without them and thank you for the real translation, I got my mais and my maintenant mixed up there.

Thanks for the compliment Ros, I have to confess that although I think Spanish is easier, I do still prefer French language to 'try' and speak and to hear, it is soooooo pretty. Alas, I can have a half hearted attempt at making myself understood and ditto for reading BUT when they talk back, ohhhhh dear......what ? :shock:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks for the compliment Ros, I have to confess that although I think Spanish is easier
Not in my Spanish it wasnt...when the teacher said Fatal was being poorly and I said in English, its dead ,what is dead in Spanish she told me [cant remember now..which says it all isuppose] but she said I shouldnt have much need with I am Dead...I spose thats true...

We did have a laugh [me especially]though I kept teaching her loads of English slang..one week she kept saying what is this 'do dah'....and 'squit'

When the course finished they all went further but I didnt ,they were really disappointed[honest] think I was the light relief...But I thought I was hindering their learning..... :roll:

I did arrange a great end of term Party at the local Bar though... Sangria ,Tapas the works and got them all congoing up one of the rows in Yarmouth...even the sniffy ones...Great Fun..... :wink: :roll: :lol: