telephone line in france

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
bill

telephone line in france

Post by bill »

hi there, could anyone tell me the cheapest way to get a land line installed in northern france for telephone and occasional internet use. Any idea of prices etc would be a help
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

For a land line you have to contact France Telecom on 1014, not sure on the installation cost as I haven't had one installed for ages, but the line rental is around 25€ a month. If you want broadband you may have a choice of ISP's, if you live in the country you maybe restricted to Orange only. Alice, Tiscali and Free are alternatives if you do have other options.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The numbers for the France Telecom English-speaking helpline are below. I haven't used it yet, so let me know if you do, and how you got on. I think you still have to take ID into the shop though.
0800 364 775 (in France)
+33 1 55 78 60 56
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

Thanks for the info Susan and Helen.

I am mulling over the idea of putting a phone into the French house as we are hoping to be down there more often, i flatly refused for the spanish house because we were only there 2 times a year.

For people with gites is it possible to get a phone line in to the property that allows incoming an emmergency calls but no outward calls?
Becky
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ours allows outgoing local calls, but not long distance calls. Incoming and emergency calls are also included. Susan is right, it's around 25€ per month.
Brooke
gh

Post by gh »

marrum31 wrote:For people with gites is it possible to get a phone line in to the property that allows incoming an emmergency calls but no outward calls?
Don't know if you are aware of this or not marrum31, if you go online to FT you can view your account and deduct accordingly from the guest's deposit. We do this regularily and send the guest's a 'screen shot' of their usage.
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

Thanks johnel. I am a total France novice. We have just bought our place (actually waiting to sign the sale). About the only thing i know well is the real estate market and only because i have been obsessed with it for the last year lol

With any luck we will be able to get the place up to scratch by next season but i doubt it. Up to now all of my experience has been with the Spanish market.

That site you gave me a link to has been invaluable for extra information.
Becky
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

if you go online to FT you can view your account and deduct accordingly from the guest's deposit.
I did not know that! That makes a huge difference. I never liked having to ask our guests to use calling cards. Perhaps with this we won't have to anymore!

I don't think I'm even signed up to check our house calls online. Oh dear, I'm behind the e-times! :)
Brooke
Marion

Post by Marion »

I have found the English speaking service of France Telecom excellent. Very friendly and very helpful.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sounds good Marion, I am going to give them a ring next week about the phone line in the apartment.