Flea and threats

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

You can usually spot a chancer by the fact that they'll have a long list of things that were wrong, rather than one genuine thing that was wrong.

A leaking iron that is a death threat. A half-eaten sausage that endangers health.

All cobblers, and simply serves to demonstrate that this is a massive try-on.

In my opinion, of course.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

ManxRed1 wrote:You can usually spot a chancer by the fact that they'll have a long list of things that were wrong, rather than one genuine thing that was wrong.

A leaking iron that is a death threat. A half-eaten sausage that endangers health.

+1 one on your opinion.

She's just trying it on and blackmailing. Don't give in, people like this need to be stopped in their tracks so they don't try it on with others. Do you have her address? I've got a baseball bat in the cupboard!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
miss mouse

Post by miss mouse »

ManxRed1 wrote:You can usually spot a chancer by the fact that they'll have a long list of things that were wrong, rather than one genuine thing that was wrong.

I would say 'seriously deranged'.

Just tip-toeing in. Last time I posted I was lambasted so have not posted for a year or two. Hey Ho.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

miss mouse wrote:
Just tip-toeing in. Last time I posted I was lambasted so have not posted for a year or two. Hey Ho.
That's dreadful. Who was that I wonder? I am curious to know so will have to go looking :roll: Welcome back miss mouse!
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I wouldn't worry too much about an odd bad review very very occasionally. I had one earlier this year because the WiFi was too slow for them. I was given a rating of 4/10 the list of complaints was fairly long, dirty, not fit for children and more but I know why. Mum and 3 kids on holiday all bring there playstations and consols. they did nothing but play games all week.

A bad review but it didn't effect bookings though not at all.

However a bad review for flees, this is a little different. I would prepare in advance a suitable reply and let them get on with it.

People reading reviews tend to read several / many before making there mind up about a product or service before buying / booking. If you have many good reviews and an odd strange one they'll not see it as a problem.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

FelicityA wrote:
miss mouse wrote:
That's dreadful. Who was that I wonder? I am curious to know so will have to go looking :roll: Welcome back miss mouse!
+1
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Welcome (back) miss mouse.

Don't be afraid to post on here. Everyone should be entitled to an opinion (as long as it's not offensive!).

Keep posting.
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

She's trying to get a free holiday. I'd turn the tables and say that as you don't accept pets and no previous guests had problems, they must have brought them with them, especially as they didn't report any problems until the day before check out.
Animal fleas like to bite the animal species they come from, but, if say, the cat/dog isn't around and they get hungry, they'll nibble on humans. If they genuinely did get bitten (which I doubt) then they probably have a cat, or dog at home and brought some of the fleas with them.
Ask if they have any pets and if you take a damage deposit, remind them that any pest control you need to pay for resulting from their negligence will be deducted.
If they manage to post a review that lists all that ridiculous stuff about irons and sausages, I'm pretty sure most people will see that they're con merchants, especially if you can post an owners response and state that they stayed for 90% of the holiday with no reported problems and then demanded a full refund after adding more and more 'problems'.

Good luck and don't give in to petty blackmail!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Good advice above - Just wanted to add my sympathies for this stressful situation you find yourslves in. I'm sure the pest control company will come up trumpa for you - I would explain to them why you are having this done, otherwise they might think they have to find something to justify charging you!
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

kyreniagirl wrote:Good advice above - Just wanted to add my sympathies for this stressful situation you find yourslves in. I'm sure the pest control company will come up trumpa for you - I would explain to them why you are having this done, otherwise they might think they have to find something to justify charging you!
And if they do charge a call out fee and her claims are unfounded, get written confirmation so you can claim the expenses and an admin fee for your wasted time from her security deposit! (I hope she paid one!)
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

The half eaten sausage did make me laugh, i would be tempted to find out more, do they have photo evidence? what brand? chipolata or Toulouse? pork or beef? are they sure it was a sausage or maybe something less edible?
Joking aside we have been through this & know how stressing it is but also like you we were lucky enough to get some great support & advise from this forum.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Bassman wrote:are they sure it was a sausage or maybe something less edible?
They probably took a bite out of it to make sure.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Calling you at home is unacceptable - it's harassment. You have already acknowledged their complaint. Once you have the report send them a one line email to advise that the matter is now in the hands of your solicitor as you have been advised that they are subjecting you to a blackmail attempt. Subject to his advice you will then take the matter to the police. State that you have evidence from a pest control inspection that there is no infestation and also the testimonies of recent guests as to the condition of the property.

As mentioned previously, ensure that the pest controllers are there on a paid inspection to look into the veracity of the complaint and not to *find* something requiring remedial action.

All irons leak when you overfill the reservoir - which is why they are uber-insulated to prevent any risk of electrocution. The sausage comment has made my day :lol: My sister once had a cat that used to bring all manner of stuff in through the cat flap, and one morning it included a still warm sausage presumably nicked from someone's breakfast plate :shock: Underwear and children's toys were also a favourite.
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

Thankfully this type of deranged behaviour is fairly rare. I agree with all of the comments that have come before, but I would add my approval for whoever suggested blocking their number.
I recently refunded a lady in full who insisted she could not possibly stay one single night because her little wee cute doggies might have escaped out of the garden. ( There are gaps in the hedge, clearly mentioned in the description on my website)The cottage was " run down" and the beach was too far.........the list just went on.
In a desperate effort to get her off my back, I offered a full refund. Paypal took their time refunding her, and while she waited she subjected me to daily harassment until I sent her a final email, telling her that I had bent over backwards to accommodate her, and regrettably I was going to have to ask her not to contact me again.Then I blocked her number.
That's the first crazy lady I've ever had though, and I've been renting out for over 5 years.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Yes, it's just unfortunate that you can't tell people that they're crazy. We've had 2 incidents in 22 years of renting 2 properties. These deranged people are rare fortunately. Stand firm, be polite and record all conversations.

With our nastiest renter ever, it was the recorded phone conversation, presented to their lawyer via our insurer that killed their case stone dead!
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day