Owner Holidays listing site

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

FelicityA wrote: I have emailed you through your contact form on the site but sent it off by mistake without signing off (although my name is at the top). Thanks!
Oh, didn't spot that Felicity, is that where I should be addressing questions rather than here? Although it's probably a good thing for everyone else to see responses to their problems?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I would say keep posting here Kathy. Saves multiple reports of the same issue and keeps everyone in the loop :)
nealh

Post by nealh »

Very impressed with Nigel's response to any issues arising as a consequence of me uploading the info to make a listing.

If anyone is thinking of jumping on board I would say go for it - yes there are developments still to make but overall I think it ticks lots of the boxes owners are looking for.

It will take a lot more property listings before it has a critical mass to attract people looking for a holiday so this is where we all need to make a decision... support an alternative in the hope of it making a difference or continue in the same well trodden path (some might even say 'rut'!).
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

KathyG wrote:I don't seem to be able to update pricing or availability beyond July 2017 Nigel. Is there a box for security deposit amount somewhere?
Otherwise working very smoothly, what's the limit on photos?
I will put this into the development queue....

I'm doing all kinds of improvements to sort out glitches, and making the pricing model more flexible, but the new version won't be public for a couple of days.

I will probably start a blog post on the site to detail all the improvements - inevitably it is a bit dynamic in early days.

I don't think there is any photo limitation apart from what I pay my hosting provider (whom I have known for many years - slightlydifferent.co.nz)

It seems several people have successfully implemented the iCals interface.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Adding our properties is still on my to-do list!
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

greenbarn wrote:Adding our properties is still on my to-do list!
Don't rush, I am just about keeping afloat with 'issues arising'!
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

How has everyone entered their photos? Mine are all strangely displayed, enlarged but only smaller central portion visible :?
Kathy
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

KathyG wrote:How has everyone entered their photos? Mine are all strangely displayed, enlarged but only smaller central portion visible :?
I see what you mean, but if you click on the photo it comes up the right way.

The problem is different people have photos with different aspect ratios, and the initial screen has a different aspect ratio again. 4x3 or 3x2 tend to be common.

The thing to avoid is portrait photos.

I will see what can be done to improve this, but I know from experience it will not be trivial. I either have to change the third party tools used, or else do some special processing on load.

You will also see that as you change the overall screen dimensions, the photo aspect ratio changes.....that's why it is called a responsive design, suitable for both computers and mobile phones.

ps. looking at those wine glasses has given me a thirst...
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ah I see, didn't realise you could click on the photos, that works much better! Will get rid of the portrait ones too.... is there any way of putting captions on the photos? When you've got a minute...... :wink:
Kathy
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I was checking what other major sites do with photos. I looked at my own properties on HomeAway.co.uk, and if you make the window small enough you get a nice picture of the ceiling. No idea what it looks like on mobile phone.

Tripadvisor.co.uk does not seem responsive at all. Photo size is the same whatever the window size. Again, no idea if this works on mobile phones, probably not. You can't even click on the photo to get a full size view.

So, in my slightly biased view, ownerholidays is better than both but may need a bit of tweaking!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Hi Nigel - just trying to continue with my listing, is there a Preview facility so you can see what it's going tom look like? Thanks.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

kyreniagirl wrote:Hi Nigel - just trying to continue with my listing, is there a Preview facility so you can see what it's going tom look like? Thanks.
When you are in the screen for the owner dashboard (with the menus on the left) and looking at 'My properties', just click on the picture of your property and it will display as seen by guests.

Before publishing I give a quick look to make sure there is at least one image and a description.

I've added an article about pricing yesterday, and also there is an article about digital marketing....
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Many Thanks!
pambon

Post by pambon »

I added my property without any photos or pricing shortly after Nigel announced his new site. I then had take my laptop into my guru for various adjustments and during that time I had to leave unexpectedly for several days in Geneva.
While in Geneva, Nigel very kindly emailed me asking if he could lift some photos from my website to include on my listing with him which I naturally permitted.
I would like to express to Nigel my appreciation on this forum for his initiative in going ahead and setting up this site and especially for his thoughtfulness in giving a Silver Surfer dunce like me a big helping hand.
Thank you Nigel.
farley

Post by farley »

Yes, I agree . Nigel has been very patient with me as well. :)