Bunk beds

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
HPD

Bunk beds

Post by HPD »

Hello all,

Second bedroom is tiny, so really only wide enough for a single bed. Most chalets on the site have bunk beds though. What are people's opinions on them? Worth having so can have another guests, or do you find people hate them and having just a single is better?

ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

I've got an adult sized bunk bed in the tiny second bedroom, which I make clear on my listings, and no one's ever complained about it.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Ditto, we have three rooms with adult sized bunk beds (our family rooms, though one of those has the bunks in a small room connected to the bigger bedroom) and never had any complaints. I've only ever seen complaints about kid sized/narrow bunks when I've peeked at the reviews on other people's sites.

You don't say where you are - are you in the Alps or similar? If so, it definitely shouldn't be an issue, as most properties have them.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We have the same, a tiny second bedroom with bunk beds. We attract families with kids, couples or young groups who don't mind the bunkbeds. I guess it depends on your target market, but as long as you make it clear on your listing it shouldn't be a problem. The fact that most other chalets have them suggests it works OK.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

We're faced with that decision at the moment. My preference is for a single with roll out trolly bed but to do so we'd need the doors on the two twins to open out into the corridor vs into the bedrooms. See separate thread about managing property for the discussion!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Our small room has a sliding door for exactly this reason...no room for one to open either way as the corridor is very narrow. Seems to work ok.
holidayloverxx

Post by holidayloverxx »

ManxRed1 wrote:I've got an adult sized bunk bed in the tiny second bedroom, which I make clear on my listings, and no one's ever complained about it.
Me too; adults sleep in it - it is very sturdy
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We have got bunks in our smallest, fifth, bedroom, one that we don't let but use when family here and in a room that we lock up with our stuff. But at the end of July OH and I gatecrashed our chalet while our son had it for his family and friends. We spent a weekend here, to see the TdF, so used the bunks for the first time and I had absolutely no complaints at all.
I have to admit that most of the time the top bunk is used for storing bags of other bedding and all sorts of stuff, and I tend to do the same at home in the UK where we have a set of bunks in our smallest bedroom.
We also use a room with bunks when we stay in a house in Cowes in the summer, and it works just fine.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Except for lodge style accommodation bunk beds are a no no in our area where the market is far from bucket and spade.

But they do seem a sensible option in other areas. It all depends on the niches. The problem of single rooms is much less significant for sleep 9 and above. However for a sleep 2 + 1 a single room is, often, close to useless in our inland area. I would imaging much the same applies in many other areas.

2's company, 3's a crowd?
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

We are in the Alps so also have a small second bedroom. We have an adult grade triple sleeper with a 4ft double on the bottom and full size single on the top. We have found it useful for families with three kids, as two small kids can share the bottom, and another kid on the top bunk. Also perfectly OK for 2 adults to use as a normal bunk, just gives more options. Our bunk is from strictlybedsandbunks and is excellent quality, however the mattresses aren't great and we are planning to get some mattress topper to improve on that......can anyone recommend somewhere that sells good quality 4ft mattress toppers?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Astorchamonix, we were in But (outside Cluses, on the road from Magland) just recently and they had a good selection of both matttresses and toppers. They had a sale on, not sure if it's over now, but it might be worth taking a look. Anything is more expensive than the UK, of course, but at least you don't have to lug it so far.
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Thanks gitemontjoly, we will nip into But and take a look next time we are passing
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes in the Alps it's much more normal to have bunk beds.

Part of the reason, I think, is that so many places have the same issue - small rooms were the tradition here...originally for reasons of warmth, latterly for reasons of economy when space is expensive! So people are generally more used to them, and you can find very charming carved ones in high-end chalets. They don't have the same stigma here.

We make it clear that they are sturdy and full size (2m long), and have never had a complaint or a problem. In fact every returning guest commented on what in improvement it was.

It does of course depend on your market, but in the Alps I would generally say they are fine.

This is ours, these bunks have been great... not expensive and very good quality, from Cocktail Scandinavia, branches throughout France.

Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

A second vote for Cocktail Scandinave bunks (and furniture in general)... great quality!