Decorating - colours/ themes

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
HPD

Decorating - colours/ themes

Post by HPD »

Ideas for a holiday chalet by the sea. I think I need to keep it quite modern rather than a ‘cottage-y’ feel. Nautical is obviously the first thing that springs to mind, but do people still like this or think it is a bit cliché?

I will keep walls white and only bring colours in with accessories, bedding and so on. I am also thinking of using same colours in all rooms (it is only a tiny place!).

Thank you.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I would say nautical can be a bit of a cliché unless done well. If wanting to do something 'coastal' then maybe something 'florida keys' style might work (bright colours like turquoise and yellow etc), or Cape Cod style (natural colours, driftwood etc) or old fastioned British seaside retro style.

I personally would advise against white....as in the UK light it can look quite harsh, so maybe a softer shade (calico).

Also you can do some wow effects very cheaply such as using pallet wood on half the wall instead of panelling.

Sounds like a lovely project!

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

If you're in the UK, you need to have the doors and walls in visually contrasting colours to assist visually impaired people.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We did our three bedrooms along colour themes of sun, sand and sea. People seemed to like it . . .

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We have a place very similar to yours (although its a flat rather than a chalet). We have also painted it white throughout (makes it much easier when it comes to re-painting and cutting in), but have a pale blue 'feature' wall in each bedroom to add a bit of colour. We have large framed mirrors on the walls to make the place seem bigger and lighter, and have gone for a driftwood and seashell theme - we have some lovely canvases of seashells which I found online and some driftwood/seashell mobiles hanging in the windows. The sofa is a smoky grey with blue cushions and the bed linen is blue and white striped to compliment the walls. I also have some jars and bowls of shells around the place. The overall effect is lovely, not at all 'sterile' with all that white but light, bright and 'seaside-y' :)
annedab

Post by annedab »

Maybe use the IOW festival for some music themed rooms - framed album covers maybe?
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

annedab wrote:Maybe use the IOW festival for some music themed rooms - framed album covers maybe?

I love the idea of this. Beautifully framed, with neutral walls - perhaps grey which is seasidey without risking the possible starkness of white.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Find a seaside picture in a magazine, a post card or poster that has a scene and colours that please you. Then choose your colour palette from this. I have done this a few times in our holiday home, it's a good idea and works well.
Fleur