Teabags - wrapped?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
HPD

Teabags - wrapped?

Post by HPD »

Hello,

I have seen posts on here that say EU regs mean tea bags have to be wrapped. However whenever I have stayed self catering pretty much every time, there is either a tin of teabags (so no idea what even make they are etc) or a half used box of teabags. So I am confused - are there rules? Does it depend it previous owners have left their teabgas etc?

(Also thinking if same applies to coffee and sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper?).

JaneTwo

Post by JaneTwo »

Nothing useful to say here - but I would like to know this too! It seems a waste (and unnecessary expense) to supply new everything each week, as what is left is usually too much for us to use ourselves (although one lot of guests got through an unbelievable amount of tea!).
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have not heard this and can't say I've read anything here either. Can you find the thread where you read that by searching and posting the link here? It sounds like an urban myth to me like the one about not being able to recycle teabags because one Council went a bit too far in its interpretation of an eu reg.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

i have not heard of any thing over here in Germany , however i always use the wrapped tea bags in all my apartments for freshness which i offer a selection free and i also have a display in the main hall area if guests want to have more and i make a small charge for these
being english and living in Germany i supply Twining's just the black teas and a german company called jj darboven ( eilles tee diamond) for the herbal & fruit teas also individually wrapped i find both these companies premium quality and guests are happy to try these
i also supply in the apartments kilner jars of freshly ground coffee as i have filter machines in all the apartments + another jar with sugar cubes ...personally i can not stand those little sachets /packets & all products are checked filled /changed after every stay & so far this system works the individual wrapped bags are a bit more money but no waste i.. as to the regulations EU or otherwise ? who knows
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
Marks

Post by Marks »

EU regs my @rse. Just what the leave campaign would have you believe.

Next you'll be telling us we can't leave out partially used toilet roll.

Cue multiple posts about the correct number to be left and whether the end needs to be folded :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I've not heard of this requirement, however, I offer both varieties of teabag.

In my welcome basket, I put a few wrapped teabags. In one of the cupboards, is a selection of teas and coffees that other guests have left.

I have no intention of removing these. But then I'm probably in enough trouble for leaving stacks of DVDs under the TV...
HPD

Post by HPD »

Nemo wrote:I have not heard this and can't say I've read anything here either. Can you find the thread where you read that by searching and posting the link here? It sounds like an urban myth to me like the one about not being able to recycle teabags because one Council went a bit too far in its interpretation of an eu reg.
Perhaps it was this: viewtopic.php?t=26413&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

But think I slightly misread it :)
CSE

Post by CSE »

Any food or drinks supplied have to be labelled in compliance with EU Food Information Regulation.
These regulations apply to all food businesses supplying food to the public, including retail premises, manufacturers, restaurants, delicatessens, bakeries, sandwich bars, supermarkets, caterers, take-aways, buffets, and home caterers. There are some exemptions!
https://www.food.gov.uk/
http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/food-hygiene
http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Endless debates here about leaving half used foodstuffs for other guests to take advantage of, but I provide individually wrapped tea bags ('builder's' and herbal). Both bag and wrapper are compostable/biodegradable so I don't have too much enviro-damage on my conscience. Unbleached bags and recycled packaging would be great whether the bags themselves were freely mingling or individually pocketed, but I'm not lying awake at night stressing about this. Wrapped things tend to have date stamps. Unwrapped things might be as old as time itself. When on holiday I don't use opened leftovers, and some of the cacky stuff that I've found lurking in cupboards at some rental properties defies description.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ok, so are we talking about welcome packs here, or has the whole concept of "self-catering" somehow been subsumed into hotel-service? Have people forgotten how to shop for themselves? When did holiday lets take on the full mantle of the hospitality industry and why aren't we pricing accordingly?

It's all getting a bit out of hand, I think.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

As regards teabags I consider that the "food" is the tea itself, and therefore it is already wrapped in the bag. :P
What would Plato do ?
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I leave around half a dozen wrapped tea bags and several Lyons Coffee bags for guests to use on arrival (+ milk & cake)

Also salt and pepper and sometimes olive oil..
Martha

Post by Martha »

This takes care of itself for me as approximately every other set of guests buys too much tea or tisane, so I always have a selection and they are almost always individually wrapped.

I pestered my father-in-law until he made us a really nice tea chest with individual boxes for each but they are pretty widely available

EG

https://www.twinings.co.uk/gifts/compartment-boxes

I do leave builder's too, which are not wrapped, in a tin. Thinking about it, this IS kind of unhygienic I suppose but you are going to pour boiling water on them after all.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Martha wrote: I do leave builder's too, which are not wrapped, in a tin. Thinking about it, this IS kind of unhygienic I suppose but you are going to pour boiling water on them after all.
There is nay bug nor illness can survive a proper mug of strong tea. (Best said in a Yorkshire accent!)
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Who cares? Some of ours are wrapped, some aren't. The Teabag Police can go boil their heads. Life's too short for this.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.