Bed Bugs & dormice.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Morristhedog

Bed Bugs & dormice.

Post by Morristhedog »

In the words of Victor Medrew, I don't believe it.

It must have come from the last folk here?

I had two families only this summer.

I guess it does not matter who brought them in. It is getting rid of them that is the problem.

I moved back into my house from the barn after the last guests left.

In my own bed I was bitten a lot at night, and thought it was mosquitoes. But the bites are different. I stayed there for two weeks before I realised.

Eventually I decided it must be bed bugs and I moved into the other room with a double bed.

I have slept without further bites in there.

In the meantime my son slept in the twin bedroom with no issues. So the bugs seem to be in my bed.

I have vacuumed everything several times, and now await delivery of some spray and a bed bug mattress protector. I want to see the quality before I buy them for the other beds. You would not know there wa a problem save the bites that have been afflicted on me. Everything seems pristine. Then I caught a creature actually on my side. It is in a box awaiting analysis if I know where to send it.

The mattresses have protectors and so do the pillows. I think the ones on the pillows may be up to standard, and maybe the mattress ones are not?

I can only id the situation through pictures on the Internet.

Since then the darned dormice have moved into the loft. I have sent for electronic plug in units which claim to make such inaudible (to me the cat and dog) that they will rid the house of spiders mossies, and the bed bugs, and persuade the darned mice to move on. I am also waiting for a case of humane traps to catch any lingerers.

The dormice are lovely with teddy bear faces and long furry tails. But they shriek in the middle of the night like demented souls.

They are rat sized

If any one has similar experiences please confide.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Oh dear, problems. The bugs are everyone's nightmare.
Bedbugs and the solution came up on this forum a year or two back.
Dormouse is not rat size. A rat is rat sized.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Juvenile rat sized!!!

I know about rats.

I have a son that kept pet rats for years.

He would love to meet my squealers from the loft!

xx
CSE

Post by CSE »

It is not a rat, it is a hamster!
jlaceysmith

Post by jlaceysmith »

It sounds like you have loir - often called edible dormice - in your loft. Loir are protected in France, but apparently mothballs often drive them away harmlessly (putting the mothballs in the loft, not lobbing them at the dormice).
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Ah thanks for this information. I will look for mothballs tomorrow. I certainly don't want to use any poison.
Yes it is the protected loir.
One of them is the other side of the plasterboard squawking away right now at half past four in the morning.
I feel in need of protection my self from this endless din. I am really banking on the electro magnetic system working too evict them when it gets here.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

This has been highly recomended for bed bugs - I have bought some just in case. Got it from Amazon £12.70.

Zero In - BED BUG BUGS KILLER KILL SPRAY AEROSOL 300ML
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

I have ordered spray, it should come next Monday with the bug proof cover and the ultrasonic plug ins.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Dormouse

ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Now, is that absolutely huge, or is it just close up?

Yours,
Fr. Dougal McGuire.
CSE

Post by CSE »

That is close up.
Size can vary between species.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_dormouse
Found in France.
http://www.planetepassion.eu/mammals-in ... rance.html
This is the one I get the feeling we all think of when talking about a Dormouse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_dormouse

Both will be hibernating soon.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

The dormouse I am speaking of has a big bushy tail. The mouse trap came today, but it is far too small for my Loir.

I think the one in the kitchen has a saw.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

That's a squirrel.

With a toolbox.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

[quote="ManxRed1"]That's a squirrel.

With a toolbox.[/quote

Edible dormice and squirrels are very closely related... they're not really mice at all.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Ah now that is interesting, the thing is almost as big as a red squirrel... and yes seems to have a tool box.

They are so sweet except when they live just the thickness of plasterboard behind your bed and wake you up around 3 am with their clog dances and DIY activities.

I am also woken up by my bites which itch at night. I keep getting up to check that the bed I am using id not also infested.

I am going totally bonkers over this.

There are plainly several families in the loft and walls. The ones in the kitchen walls have the saw. I keep waiting for them to cut off the electricity or some such.

I was hoping not to have to commit souricide, but there are electric traps available which are supposed to be quick acting.

Someone today told me it is them or me, and I am beginning to wonder. I hate waking up so darned early in the morning.

Last time I had a plague it was mice. They moved into the dishwasher itself and slowly nibbled through the wires inside. The mender took it away and phoned to tell me it was full of souris. I thought it was some French expression I had yet to learn...

That was in a different house.