Web stats

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Hells Bells

Web stats

Post by Hells Bells »

For the first time, LMH has been pushed down from second into third place in the list of referrers to my site. In second place was google.co.uk , and several other google sites are listed. There are an awful lot of unspecified hits though. Interestingly homelidays.com does not show as a referrer (it used to), and their stats show 3 click-throughs.
marcus

Post by marcus »

I'd not looked at this for bastide-vacances before. Turns out my second biggest referrer in September (after google) is someone else with a gite in my area who has been popping by to pinch my text and photos. Took 40 visits, apparently.

I wonder if they are a member here? I can't decide whether to name and shame them.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

How sneaky of them!!! I would 'name and shame', but I would also contact them and ask them to remove your text and photos
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Marcus,
how do you trace your web stats back to one single user?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Susan, my site is with 1and1. I have a webstats option in my control panel which also has a referrer option. I can select a domain or a url , which shows me where the click through to my site came from. Normally 1st and 2nd are SnowHeads (a ski forum) and Lay my Hat, but LMH was beaten intp third place by Google in Sept.
marcus

Post by marcus »

Most stats will show the main referrers to a site / site that visitors arrive from (in Awstats take a look in the stats at 'links from an external page' and 'links from an internet search engine')

The people concerned must have been flitting from their own site to mine, back and forth. Not the cleverest way to hide their traces.

Still they've got some nice pictures of sunflowers that might just prove useful...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I know what referrers are, I've but I've never had any from an individual's website if you see what I mean! Usually they are from google or rental listing sites.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They must have linked to your site in some way for that to happen.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

That's why I was a little bemused, how could anyone be so silly as to actually copy text and photos from someone else's site and use a link which easily identifies them as having done it!
marcus

Post by marcus »

No they haven't linked to me as far as I can tell, unless they have since deleted the link.

I think 'referrer' tells me the site they came from - so if they were in their own site, then typed my site name in, the referrer is reported as their site, although there isn't an actual link.

I hadn't appreciated that the stats worked like that but there are a couple of other sites shown that don't actually have a direct link to my site. Perhaps they have added me to their favourites!