christmas tree?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Jenster

christmas tree?

Post by Jenster »

I have just taken a 4 night booking for Christmas. To be honest I wasn't necessarily expecting it and don't have any other bookings for Dec. We are spending new year there ourselves. We will put up a few decorations and some lights but do we need to provide a tree? Seems a lot of effort for one 4 night booking but not sure if it's expected?

Edited to add: it's a small apartment and its a couple staying, no kids
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Yes, it does seem a bit of a palaver to have to provide a tree for four days. Depends if you are charging very high rates for those four days I suppose? Perhaps a little table top decoration in the shape of a tree, just to make it look a bit more Christmasy (assuming that is what they are celebrating!) but you are doing that already with lights, I suppose.
GRL

Post by GRL »

You could ask them if they want the tree decorated by you or do they want to bring their own decorations. That way they might say "no tree at all" if they are running away from Christmas or you might only have to provide a tree not decorate it as well.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I ask the guests and fall in with their wishes. It's a peak period and they're paying a lot for the cottage.

I provide a 4ft artificial tree in the sitting room and a 2ft table top one in the dining room. I don't have room for the real ones which would be my personal preference.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Yes - a small tree. We decorate & also leave chocolates & a bottle of fizz. Take pictures while the house is decorated to use in next year's advertising.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks all, yes perhaps I should just ask them. I like the idea of fizz and chocolates. They didn't pay loads (to be honest I probably undersold and would charge more next year) but perhaps a small tabletop tree would be worthwhile, esp as it would allow photos for Christmas marketing.

My next question - do I need to get the fairy lights pat tested? Thanks.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Jenster wrote: My next question - do I need to get the fairy lights pat tested? Thanks.
Are the lights low voltage, driven from a transformer or control box?

If they are, you can ignore the lights themselves.

The transformer plugs into the mains and presumably has a plug attached. This lot is subject to PAT testing - BUT - it'll be Class ll double insulated (check for the symbol of a square inside a larger square), in which case there is nothing that can realistically be tested beyond a visual inspection and a tug on the wiring to make sure it's not loose. You can do that - it's common sense; is the case cracked anywhere, is the mains lead frayed at any point or the inner wires exposed, is the plug cracked or loose, and does it have the correct fuse in it?

Doing that would be a good idea, and probably takes less time than describing it!
Last edited by greenbarn on Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

If the lights are brand new then probably not. PAT isn't mandatory but it's a way of proving that you've made sure things are up to standard.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Nothing needs PAT testing when it's under a year old and as Greenbarn states PAT testing is not obligatory anyway. I have a small property so provide a table top tree. It didn't cost much, isn't a big deal to put up and provides the festive feel that all my guests want without being OTT.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

This has come up before and, if I remember, the replies were along the lines of "it depends".

Some people go away for Christmas to get away from the whole Christmas experience. Some people don't celebrate Christmas. Etc. Etc.
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

I never presume my guests drink alcohol
I never presume my guests eat meat
I never presume my guests are heterosexual
I never presume my guests have any specific faith
Just as I wouldn't provide tobacco products or narcotics
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Tivoli wrote:I never presume my guests drink alcohol
I never presume my guests eat meat
I never presume my guests are heterosexual
I never presume my guests have any specific faith
Just as I wouldn't provide tobacco products or narcotics
Sometimes I don't know what not to presume. Last year we hosted an Iranian honeymoon couple. Reading advice on here we were careful not leave the customary bottle of wine or the customary pack of bacon in the fridge. However, on their departure the 'maid's perks' were an unopened packet of ham which they had bought plus half a bottle of gin!
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

We will provide at both properties this year and have bookings every weekend through December at both (note to self - 2017 price rise needed).

I just need a good during the week waterer for them... any ideas?
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Very cheap trees can be found fairly easily (especially once you get closer if you can get just before booking)and look passable once they are decorated, again a bit of looking around.

e.g. c.£6.50 for a 3ft tree (was half price, not an economy one), from Tesco IIRC). hotukdeals.com is good place to keep an eye for offers posted up - and you can set alerts...
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Here you go - all in one for a fiver :)
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3ft-pre ... re-2559854
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family