Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Guests using own kerosene heaters

Managing your guests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs Beeton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Guests using own kerosene heaters Reply with quote

OK this is related to the previous posting. Tenant does not want to use the electric heaters that are installed as electricity is too expensive. Wants to use 3 or 4 gas and kerosene heaters instead. Can I insist they do not do this? There is a wood burning stove at the property.
Normandy Cow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Isabella, welcome to the forum!

It seems to me that this is not a "guest" and yours is not a "holiday rental"!

I have no idea about the tenant's rights so I can't help you on this one. (But I do believe that their rights are usually weighed very heavily in their favour Sad ). Why don't you contact the CAF themselves? I'm sure they must know...

Failing that, as your question is very specific to France, why don't you ask the same questions on the LivingFrance or TotalFrance forums (fora?). It is very possible that someone on there may know...

Good Luck!
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure you can insist they dont use these,[but how will you know]
We rent in England Long term and have tenancy agreements.
What was stated in theirs Confused

If you let them use these they could be in a dangerous state and could damage your House[Im not sure how you would stand with your Insurance either] Crying or Very sad

Also from what you said in your previous post that this would be the thin end of the wedge and they will be making even more demands if you let them.

Im sure our French Rentors will be able to help with some advise or contact a solicitor.

If they have breached theyre rental agreement Id look into trying to evict them if they carry on like this...but tread carefully and check your options.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!! Smile
A-two

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Isabella!

If I understand the situation correctly, some long term tenants, whose rent is being paid by a welfare agency, have already replaced your furniture, and are now telling you that they are going to replace your heating with their own system. Was this agreed in the lease? Are kerosene heaters safe in an enclosed unventilated space? What's next to change, the locks on the door?

This doesn't help, sorry, but I think you might have quite a big problem building, so I agree with the suggestion to have a quiet chat with the Agency that placed them there, and ask a local solicitor exactly where you stand. You don't have enough information yet to make a decision.

Good Luck!
la vache!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 6 month let who used kerosene heaters instead of electric ones. It was a one off and so I didn't mind. They do cause quite a lot of condensation I think, that can be a disadvantage. However, they are very popular in France as electric heating is so very expensive out here and presumably your tennants are not very well off if their rent is being paid by CAFF, so it is understandable why they want to do it. I'm sure that as landlady you should have a say in whether they do use them or not, so speak to CAFF.
garlic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In favour of these heaters I have some and they are actually very good. These are a modern version of old parrafin heaters and I assume this is what they are talking about. Mine plug in and use a minimal amount of electricity and function a bit like a connvection heater. They are very safe with cut out devices built in...mine even have auto timers, they are very economicl to run and pretty efficient...Wether you want to allow people to use their own heaters in your home is up to you, but I can see why they would want to.
Alan Knighting

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of similar heaters for emergency purposes. They run on the same butane gas cylinders as are used for cooking in many French homes.

The only problem I am aware of is that they produce one litre of water for every litre of gas burned and therefore are responsible for a lot of condensation.

Fluffy
Mrs Beeton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: tenants using own kerosene heaters Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies - I am waiting for my insurance agent to get back to me on the use of these fires. Yes I do think I have a problem building here and there are other things I could list here but will not. I do not want to put a question of Total France site etc. as the tenant uses these sites. In fact I have changed my name on here to protect the innocent!!
Fraise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL- I think quite a few of us use cyber nom de plumes !!! Wink Not sure which innocents we are protecting though Twisted Evil
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish Id thought of that.....is it too late........ Crying or Very sad

Maybe you could all suggest names[be nice] Embarassed

Seriously though Mrs B you could always pm people if it worries you especially those who rent in your area.......[Im sure they wouldnt mind]
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been thinking about this????? Confused

As most of you list your website which I expect have your contact details on surely people know who you are anyway. Confused Very Happy
debk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As most of you list your website which I expect have your contact details on surely people know who you are anyway.

Exactly so! Though I don't list my last name on the website.

debk (k is for kleber, as in General Jean Baptiste Kl├ęber or maybe just for the tires?)
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youve done it now Deb Very Happy
[or is this a cunning plan to lead us off track....]

Anybody who knows me would recognise me by the way I rattle on anyway..........

Mind you I must say I didnt realise that some of our prattle gets into the search engines.... Embarassed

When I was looking for a Map for Enid I put in her place[area] and map
& LMH was one that came up which included her talking about a map and when you clicked we were all there......

I expect everybody else Knew this but I am a bit of a Klutz... computerwise...search engine wise........

so maybe a psuedonym[is that right,probably not]
might be a good idea..... Confused
Managing your guests