Giving bank details for money transfer?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
KathyG

Giving bank details for money transfer?

Post by KathyG »

Hello all you good people,

I've got a slight problem, might even be a huge one!

I've accepted a booking from a group in Canada who also have family in France who want to transfer the deposit to my account in France. Now how safe is it to email them my bank details for them to transfer the money?

I'm also slightly dubious about the whole thing regarding the canadian emails that are not responding at all to friendly enquiries, it's all very formal and to the point. Also the name of the family which seems to be Tunisian in origin - just sending gentle alarm bells. Stats from my site do indicate visitors from Edmonton, Canada and various in France, nothing from any 'dodgy' countries.
Am I being too cautious???? :?

Kathy
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello Kathy,

If it reassures you at all, payment by electronic transfer is the system I use all the time.

I am based in France, but most of my bookings come from UK guests. I email them my IBAN (Int. Bank Account Number) so they can transfer euros direct to my account in France.

The system has worked without a hitch so far - on the UK side the 'slow' transfer (approx. 5 working days) costs GBP 9, I believe. The 'fast' transfer is apparently much more expensive (well over GBP 20, I think). Your Canadian clients would probably pay even more.

I had guests from the U.S. this year and I also used this system successfully.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

One other thing:

I am able to make electronic transfers from my account in France to other accounts in several different countries using Internet banking. I take this for granted, in fact.

Amazingly, UK guests report that they are unable to make similar Internet banking transfers from UK accounts to, say, my account in France...they have to physically go to the bank to arrange it! Pretty prehistoric in my view.. perhaps there is some valid reason (other than the bank charges earned..)?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I could be wrong, but I have a niggling feeling that someone on this forum (was it Fraise?) had a major problem whereby she had given her (French) bank details to someone and they had somehow managed to extract money from her account. It was a lot of money too, and I think she had to go to court. :?
I can't remember all the details now as it must have been a couple of years ago, but I am sure that someone else must remember this and will be able to fill you in....
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hmmm, that's exactly what I'm worried about..........

Kathy
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Well, I agree you've got to be careful, but I have just had a look at my French cheque book - the details I give out can also be found printed on every cheque that I write out, so I don't see how giving this information in an email is any more 'risky' than issuing a cheque...?
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Found it!
(And I'm sure that there was another, more detailed, earlier one).
Anyway, read this....
viewtopic.php?t=718
Remember, this was a couple of years back, so things may well have changed since then... (We hope! :? )
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hello Jenny,

I've just checked mine too and the only numbers on there are the account number and the cheque number plus a number between those two that doesn't seem to relate to anything.

I've already given them the account number, account name and 'code banque' and they're now saying they also need the code guichet and the cle RIB. Would you say they're correct??

Thanks Catherine, brilliant, will go and investigate now!

Kathy
Last edited by KathyG on Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

More details here...
viewtopic.php?t=1483
(see Fraise's response about half-way down).
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi there Catherine,

That's interesting stuff- thanks for tracking it down.

I have to say though, I still find the level of risk involved acceptable (here's hoping I won't have to eat my words...).

I have also worked in the clearing dept. of a bank (briefly..) and I believe I am right in saying that banks have a legal duty of responsibility to their customers. In Fraise's case, the bank had an obligation to verify the authenticity of the fax.

I also believe I am right in saying that banks are less keen to accept fax instructions these days, precisely because of the risk of fraud..
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Kathy,

I will PM you.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks so much all of you - a lifesaver!

I've decided to give them the details they're after and ring the bank and tell them that a credit's on it's way and NOT a debit! Hopefully that'll sort it out. Of course these poor people are quite possibly completely legitimate, it's just reading so much about scam emails on LMH that makes me so suspicious!!:roll:
Kathy
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Kathy, I think you have done the right thing. We are (or rather "I am"!) getting too paranoid nowadays... :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi As Ive said to Gascony on a number of occasions :D

'Just because Im paranoid doesnt mean it isnt true' :wink: :roll:

Hope it all works out Kathy ,Keep us posted. :D
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Will do - thanks all of you! :lol: