Gmail = Googlemail?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Gmail = Googlemail?

Post by Mountain Goat »

I know in some countries there were problems with using the Gmail name, clashing with existing businesses.

So, in the UK at least, we are restricted to Googlemail.com accounts.

I've found having a googlemail.com address a bit long-winded, and playing around recently found my email address using gmail.com functions fine.

i.e. goat at gmail.com works the same as goat at googlemail.com (not my address, BTW).

Does everyone else know this and I've just been dumb? Any risks in using gmail.com?

Mgoat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I already know this. Not sure of any problems though. Even works for Google.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Helen, thanks.

Not sure what you mean by it 'works for Google'.

MGoat
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I set my googlemail address up before the lawsuit problem and so still have the gmail.com address. No problems at all.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I meant that I can use it to log in to Google adwords (for example) as well. Sorry got a bit busy at work, and had to rush my reply.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Further tests and basically one can forget the googlemail e-mail address and log-in and just use gmail for both address and log-in.

It seems just when one initially signs-up in the UK that one has to go through the googlemail routine.

Sorry, that's a boring post, but it may help someone.

MG