X-Box one S, should we leave one in our home?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 24

964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

Thinking of just providing that little bit extra for the rental, so are there any horror stories we need to be aware of?

Its for a rental in Orlando, Encantada resort to be exact.

Thanks

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Voted No. one more thing to inevitably go wrong/get broken, leading to hassle.
COYS

Post by COYS »

We provided the latest (at the time) Playstation & games.
Two things we learned:
Expensive games or Blu-rays go 'missing' on a regular basis even though our service team never notice & our guests never, ever pack them by mistake :roll:
The internet connection is never fast enough or stable enough for some people.
People can & will fill your hard drive with crap, more often than not illegally downloaded. You'll then spend every visit trying to clean it up.
In hindsight we'd prefer our guests to be out & about enjoying the local area.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I agree with kyreniagirl and COYS, don't do it Kevin! :wink:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I really don't it is going to swing your bookings and it is one more thing to go wrong. Voted no.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Vote NO. Too much hassle if techi-toys don't work or go missing. It's bad enough trying to sort out Internet/phone disconnects. On a big "0" birthday last year spent 2 hours in the morning on 3 way telephone calls between myself, my visitors, and the supplier's technical support in India. Problem sorted due to visitors being technical savvy and the brilliant guy in India, but stressful for me. 2 years ago it took me 2 days of phone calls with the supplier to sort out a connectivity issue.

If visitors want to spend their holiday playing techi games suggest you let them bring their own.

PS Eventually had a brilliant x0 birthday. Unbeknown to me, many of my friends and extended family had been invited to a surprise lunch and evening party. Had a great day :D
The best things in life are free
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Giraffe wrote:If visitors want to spend their holiday playing techi games suggest you let them bring their own.
I agree with the others and vote NO. It's superfluous and one more thing to go wrong. I have enough trouble seeing that the TV works to the high standard that guests nowadays expect.

Nice surprise for your **th. birthday :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

All of the above, definitely. Some things are required - Sat TV, DVDs probably still, Wi-Fi, etc. But beyond that, if they want it they'll bring it and it certainly isn't going to bring you one extra booking.
If the money could be spent on (say) faster Wi-Fi, that would be a much better investment.

Mols

(ps Hippy happy Birdy, Giraffe)
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'll sail against the prevailing tide! I've never had an X-Box at the chalet but we've always had something similar. We used to have a PS4 and a few years back upgraded it to a Wii. (The old game setup went to Great Ormond St - children's hospitals can always use them for bored kids).

We went for the Wii when we upgraded as it is more of a family orientated experience than the other consoles which tend to be really only for one or two people. Also networked gaming and TV downloads aren't really a thing on the Wii which is an advantage,

It's never been a problem and it's been very popular when the weather is bad (and also when kids are ill, a day of sniffles or tummy upset is pretty common on holiday)

I've actually (touch wood!) had no problems with it at all, in ten years...which is more than I can say for apparently more straightforward board games, all of which have had pieces missing, boards ruined, had to be reassembled after finding bits all over the place, have caused spectacular mess on three occasions. I now keep them in a locked chest and give them out on request, as I think I've spent more money on them then on the consoles over the years, and certainly far more time.

As always what works for some doesn't for others :)

I don't know if I'd bother in Florida, where the weather isn't likely to be a problem though.
Last edited by Martha on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thank you AndrewH and Moliere.

Giraffe x
The best things in life are free
JaneS

Post by JaneS »

Voted No. Agree with others.
JaneS
964kevin

Post by 964kevin »

Thank you all.

Interesting results.

The Florida forum I am on was completely the opposite, which hasn't helped matters at all.

But probably erring on the side of caution.

Cheers.

Kevin
http://www.encantada-vacation.com

Our little piece of Florida, never get tired of being there. Love it and the people to bits.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We provide a Wii console with a handful of basic family games. We find it does get used as we occasionally check and can see people have created the own Mii and played games. I agree it is just another thing to check and can go wrong but some of our guests clearly like it.

I am not sure I would put in a more modern platform, we went for the Wii as it is very family friendly and can be used by all ages. We have had a number of comments in the guest book about the fun people had with it. In my view Xbox and Playstation are much less group orientated (or perhaps I just hate the games my kids play on them).

Does it get more bookings? No. But if they have a rainy day it can be a bit of family fun.