Setting up a chambre d'hotes in Dordogne

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
mat24

Setting up a chambre d'hotes in Dordogne

Post by mat24 »

Hello everyone

I stumbled across this website and it seems like a great fountain of knowledge. My wife and I are looking to use our house as a chambre d'hotes in the near future. It would be great to meet, talk with and pick the brains of other owners.

I used to work in the same field in New Zealand and found it a mutually beneficial experience keeping in touch with other owners / businesses to keep guests happy, point them in right direction etc. If our rooms are full, recommend another place or vice versa.

We are looking forward to chatting with and hopefully getting to know other owners in France. We are always ready to listen to any advice. Thanks for your time.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi Mat24, I see that noone has responded yet so I thought I would let you know that you're not being ignored. We are in the Dordogne but run two gites and not a chambre d'hote, but we would be more than happy to pass on whatever information we can to help you in your decision making.
If you have any specific questions then it may be best to ask on here as you will get good help but if its a general chat you want its probably best to send me a personal message and we can arrange something
All the best
Villarais

Post by Villarais »

I have a house and a gite a bit further North than you, but I only do weekly lets (sometimes shorter or longer) so, like Dusty, have no knowledge of the specifics of chambres d'hotes, except that I sometimes stay in them. Do ask any questions though. I am sure that a lot of the paperwork and dealing with guests is the same.
mat24

Post by mat24 »

Thanks Dusty and Villarais for your replies and encouragement. Most of the work on the house is done, now we are sifting through the finer details of registering the business. As my wife and I will be working together with the same guests we are looking at registering as 'conjoint collaborateur' but so far I've read very differing accounts of the benefits of this.

I don't think there is any getting around it, registering two businesses etc, it's a pretty transparent chambres d'hotes. I was hoping other couples working together in a similar field could shed some light on the costs/cover.

Many thanks again everyone, this seems like a great forum
dorie

Post by dorie »

Hi there

My OH and I work together in our chambre d'hote but not sure what you are asking, is it in regard to the type of business you need to setup? We are a partnership, with the unfortunate acronym of SDF (makes the french laugh at least!) It seems quite a rare setup but worked very well for us
Tournesol

Registering Chambres d'hote

Post by Tournesol »

Would welcome advice from someone who has done this under Auto/microentrepreneur regime, thanks.
What you've never had you never miss!
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Hi Mat24, Up until last year we used to offer our whole home as a summer holiday let for 15 to 18 weeks and move with our caravan to a nearby camp site. Despite the welcome income, this year we are staying put to avoid the hassle of moving from our home and are just offering one bedroom as a B & B. We are on the limit of Dordogne, Gironde and Lot et Garonne. We have some friends not far away who do the same thing, also with just one bedroom, and as per your thoughts we mutually pass on enquiries when either place is already booked. We only offer breakfast and not other meals which means we don’t need a licence and as it is our home we don’t need to set it up as a business. Send me a message if you think I can help and I will give you our phone number. Just one comment, there seems to be a fair saturation of such properties around here so don’t expect high occupancy.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

That's what we are trying to register as, just letting out a maximum of 3 rooms in our house.
OH not yet in the health system so wanted to register this as AE as his business; we both also work in UK sometimes.
You can offer evening meals without extra licence as long as you don't offer them a choice of food, they just eat what you eat, and you don't serve alcohol.
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

...and they eat with you, not separately.