Google listing.

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Paul Carmel

Google listing.

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi,

We have a French domain name which is pointed at the French translation of our site. We have just made page one on Google.fr........ all be it a second from bottom...... but the blurb under the page title has me a little confused ( not hard I know)

"Sorry, you don"t appear to have frame support. Go here instead - Calvi Corse location saisonnière Casa Paradis.
www.vacances-calvi-corse.com/ - 1k - En cache - Pages similaires"

Can anyone shed a bit of light?
Cheers
PC
marcus

Post by marcus »

Paul, when you say 'pointed at' that usually means a 301 redirect but I think you have done something with frames to include your 'real' site in this site. So I guess you are also paying hosting? Hence it gets counted as a real site, but with no information because of the frames.

Do you have access to the file? Add a description tag in the head-like:
<meta name="description" content="Calvi Corse, pour les vacances...."> with a reasonable amount of text in.

That will then appear in the file before the noframes message and will be used by google. (if you look at the source code of the file at the moment you can see that almost the first text is the noframes message, which is why that is being used).
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

As always, Marcus thank you.......just when you think you are on the right track :roll:
Cheers
PC
Martha

Post by Martha »

It looks like your redirect from the .fr site is a framed redirect. This means that the new page (your french translation) opens in a frame, often keeping the .fr header.

The program that google uses to index sites (generally called the googlebot) can't see content in frames, so it just sees the content that is set up as default text to appear for browsers that don't use frames.

If this doesn't mean anything to you - sorry! :)

What to do depends on your degree of technical know-how and hosting arrangements. How did you set up the redirect?Some hosts will allow you to redirect using a system called "meta refresh" which is much better.
http://webdesign.about.com/od/metatagli ... 80300a.htm

If you are confident tinkering with the html and have ftp access to the site, a short term solution might be to shange the text in the noframes tag to the text you want to show.

I don't know that much about this specific issue - I would have hosted the entire french site under the .fr domain but this may not be practical for you...could you at least put the home page on there?
There's a lot of variables here, too - what's the .fr domain you registered? What are the google terms you want to rank for? Do you maintain the site yourself, or is someone doing it for you?

Anyway, it's a solvable problem - just need to know a bit more...

:D
Martha

Post by Martha »

well that was a much more concise way of putting it, and all while I was typing!! :D
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Firebug,

Let me take in your observations.........may take a while, and I will come back to you.

Thank you in advance.
Cheers
PC