Melting Patio Chairs

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Just a thought Ros, are yours white by any chance? I do remember thinking at the time of buying that there wasn't as much choice in white and there didn't seem to be the better quality ones available either.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Robert said
(Anyway hubbie could always do a couple of extra hours work to pay for them.)
Plumbers must be cheap where you are Robert 10 mins, tops... :wink: :roll: :lol:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ros,

I was also wondering what color your chairs are. I was actually going to suggest that white would be best in terms of reflecting the heat rather than absorbing it. I would think it would have to be incredibly hot (or the plastic incredibly cheap) to melt white plastic from the sun, since it reflects most of the light incident upon it.
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Brooke,

They are white but thanks for the thought.....the first ones were very cheap[carrefour]
but this last year ive bought 2 more lots...the last ones seem to have done a bit better Paula says... bought them end of July...
The heat on our patio is very intense though [and this Summers been the hottest ever] its a bit of a suntrap..and from about 9am-6pm ......usually in the high 90s but July& Aug 100+ last October half Term it got to 94 one day..I know because my nephew was next door and took great pleasure in updating his workmates on his mobile.. ...
we even sunbathe December & January,
but if you go round the corner , its really cold...sometimes I will walk to the bin across the street with my shorts & little top on and people with jumpers on give me very strange looks :?

I do appreciate all the comments and will let you know the outcome Thanks again :wink: :D
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah. So it's more that the patio is absorbing and then re-radiating the heat, vs. the direct sunlight melting the furniture?

Either way... ugh! One would think that the melting point of the plastic would be high enough to avoid this sort of thing. What do the hotels near you do?
Brooke
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Brooke,

Sorry this is a bit off topic - well completely off topic actually! Sorry Ros! :oops: But just wondered how your weeping willow was coming on?

Kathy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well I never :wink:

Someone else being off topic...that makes a change :roll:
Well Brooke tell all how is the weeping willow were all agog :D :wink: :lol:

Ps Theres very few hotels in Torre
Brooke its mostly holiday homes majority Spanish :D
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Kathy,

It's coming along... much better than we thought it would be. Still, I will feel better when I see the first growth next year! :)

Ros,

Hmm... well then, do you know what your holiday-home neighbors do?
Brooke
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Yes, that's it Ros, you'll have to go for an early morning stroll around the local area looking over everyone's garden walls!!!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats an Idea
I could nick all their chairs before they wake up!!!! :wink: :roll: :lol:
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

:lol: :lol: 8)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sorry Brooke :wink:

I know you were being helpful......most of the houses in our street are people who come out for the odd week in the summer and dont rent and keep all their patio furniture inside until they arrive[maybe to stop me nicking it]

The houses where the Spanish live keep theirs in the shaded patio as they try and avoid the sun......

But that was a good suggestion :wink: :D

I will check with the ones that do live there to see if they have any suggestions.....
some of the residents have the awning blinds as well which must help...but Im such a sun worshipper that I wouldnt use them.....and the guests can always sit on the front patio which is always shaded. 8)
Thanks again.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

So what about keeping the table and chairs in the shade at the front of the house and getting some sort of sun loungers for the sunny area.

Perhaps sunloungers are built to withstand higher temperatures.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks La Luz :D
We do have 2 sunbeds on the south facing back patio as well and I must admit they last a lot better.
the south facing patio overlooks the pool & is a lovely view this is where we have lunch etc so a table & chairs is really needed ,
we also have table & chairs on the front patio and balcony at the front in both houses

I think a better quality chair will be better and thats what we will do
I will keep you posted

Thanks all. :wink: :lol:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All,

Update on the melting chairs.....all binned .....
bought six new sets...24 chairs 6 tables 6 parasols of blue Nylon woven chairs with white metal supports...the tables are toughened glass with metal surround and matching nylon parasols...all on offer at Carreffour...hopefully theyll last a bit better...had to make quite a few trips as the car we had wasnt very big..
The white plastic tables hadnt collapsed but Ive had to renew them a couple times a year as they yellow so much ,
I hope this will be one less problem but we will see....... :roll: