I've been an idiot

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Partridge

Do you really think your client forgot....and then forgot to sign the cheque...I think he was short of funds and was stalling.......

Must have worded that wrong, no Ros, I was fully aware that he was stalling but as a return guest did not want to lose the booking, so let him take slight advantage but I'm ready for him next year :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

You're more generous than I am -- next year I would probably be fully booked when he came calling!
Brooke
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

vrooje wrote:You're more generous than I am -- next year I would probably be fully booked when he came calling!
Beggars can't be choosers as they say and at least I know they looked after the place :lol:

Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Your totally right Partridge,

Didnt notice he was a repeater....and a look after the place sort of repeater
The fact hes a bit short of the readies is forgivable we all know that money doesnt make someone a good person.....
Forget everything I said[you probably have anyway]
Take care.... :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Well, as a postscript, I've just taken a late booking for the house, thanks to holidaylettings.co.uk! As it is for 4 adults and not 12 people, I've naturally given a discount, but I never thought I would get a booking at this late stage.
My question is, should I do the courtesy of writing to the original person who let me down and never sent the payment to inform him of this, just in case? I'm worried that there is the tiniest, remotest chance that he has assumed I've received a payment and turns up on Saturday after all. Not that he has received directions or anything. Any my other half will be here to throw him off the premises if required.
What do you all think??
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Good news Susan; and yes, email the cad - if for no other reason than to shame him into feeling a degree of guilt over the way he treated you! :evil:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
garlic

Post by garlic »

Susan, I really don't know, I don't think you have to write to him...but how much time is it going to take you and at least then you have piece of mind...If it was me I'd just send him a short but polite message...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Susan :D

Thats Good News well done...
I think I would let him know as well just to show him how people with manners act ....... :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I think you should continue to be professional and e-mail him to advise the booking is now cancelled. I wouldn't bother telling him you got another booking, that way, if he did still happen to want the holiday you can look like you wouldn't want his business anyway :twisted:

vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I agree with Partridge -- if you're going to e-mail anything, just e-mail him that as his booking was never finalized with receipt of payment, you have opened the week up for general booking.

My policy is clear that bookings are not final until payment is received, so I wouldn't even phrase it as "cancelled," which makes it seem like there was something to cancel.

But actually, I might consider treating this as I would any other inquiry which just faded away... I don't e-mail all of them telling them I've released their weeks. If he doesn't have directions to the property, and still thinks the house is reserved, he'll find out soon enough when he e-mails you to ask how to get to your house.
Brooke
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Susan said
My question is....... I'm worried that there is the tiniest, remotest chance that he has assumed I've received a payment and turns up on Saturday after all.
Susan don't worry, I'm positive if he's assumed payment was received he'd be emailing you to confirm payment has been received, detailed directions and info about keys etc.
I agree with Vrooje..just treat this as an "inquiry which just faded away" and also that
bookings are not final until payment is received
which is my motto! :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Susan, :D
Quote:
My question is....... I'm worried that there is the tiniest, remotest chance that he has assumed I've received a payment and turns up on Saturday after all.
I think that this is because you are a nice person and cant believe that he had been lying to you about payment being on its way...etc. So there might be another explanation..lost in post..delays
We always like to think the best of people until proved wrong.......as always your trying to be fair....
problem is some people arent working from the same standards,
but that doesnt mean you should lower yours! :wink: :lol:
A-two

Post by A-two »

vrooje wrote: My policy is clear that bookings are not final until payment is received, so I wouldn't even phrase it as "cancelled," which makes it seem like there was something to cancel.
I agree with this 100%. No booking ever exists unless money passes hands. As a courtesy and for the avoidance of doubt, you may wish to send him a note to say that the house is no longer available for these specific dates. His was only a provisional booking which has now lapsed because no payment was made. Only a confirmed booking requires cancellation and if he didn't sign an agreement, there is nothing to cancel.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, Joanna's found the right way to phrase things. And if he understands from this that someone else snaffled the slot, he might even live to regret being such a bad-mannered, casual so-and-so.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks everyone - I knew you would be able to think of the right thing to say! I kept it short and sweet, as Joanna suggested - in the title the name of the house and the dates, in the text:
"I am writing to inform you that the house is no longer available for the above dates,"

Just to finish off everything and give me peace of mind on Saturday!

Edit to correct my grammatical mistake!
Last edited by la vache! on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.