What makes your visitors love your gite?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hmmmm, we know just what you mean there Susan. We're drawing a huge sigh of relief right now. Although we still have guests right through the winter, we're not full, so we get to 'be ourselves' a bit. Our farm overlooks the whole of our property, the two gites, the B&B rooms and the campsite, so we're on view as soon as we step out of the door as it were. We have no land to the rear of the farmhouse so can't escape there. We long sometimes for just a small private area where we can at least have a meal, or sunbathe without being too self-concious about it.

Ah well, we'd be moaning if we had NO visitors I guess!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Stu & Syb

Just had a peek at your website and I can honestly say I have never read a site that made me smile quite so much. I think the type of guest that preferred 'non interference' if that is the right expression would probably not come here. Please do not think that is a criticism I am just trying to say in my own cack handed way that 'each to their own' and I read your site with a smile because it really gave me the feeling that guests are welcome but friends would be even better. The only thing that worried me as a townie was the reference to glasses of wine in front of the piggeries :shock: :D
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I’m in the middle ground here. Some guests need contact, others find it intrusive. Some guests are intrusive, others are almost invisible. They’re only here for a week or two so I play it by ear. Either way, I am determined they are going to have a bl**dy good holiday whether they like it or not. As is so unkindly said about the Germans “We have ways of making you enjoy yourself!�

I first visited France in 1952 (yes, I’m that old) and I harboured a fancy to live in France ever since. No, the move was not brave for me. It would have taken bravery on my part not to make the move.

When our guests come here and experience our properties and our location, when guests come here and see how happy we are living here, how can they fail not to want to return? In one year alone, ten of our guests bought houses in the area; not as holiday homes but places to live.

I will stop now before I start eulogising. Don’t take my word for it, ask Enid if she’s happy here.

Fluffy
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I have to confess that, being a bit of a newbie, I find myself constantly having to think about who is 'living on site' and who is not, hopefully it will eventually stick in my rather decrepid brain.

I must admit that you either love that kind of thing (living with your business) or you don't. Personally I think that I would but do not have the courage to do anything about it for the usual reasons.......kids that cannot afford their own accommodation, ageing parents etc. I have also only been to France as a child once but always say to hub that I would love to go and for the life of me I can't actually give a definitive answer as to why but there you go.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote:when guests come here and see how happy we are living here, how can they fail not to want to return? Fluffy
Errr, Fluffs - I know it's Friday night and I've had a bit more of my favourite Chardy than usual, but I think I smell a double negative; I'm still not sure though as my head's a bit fuzzier than usual, and I don't want to end up with egg in my beard. Will someone else put me out of my misery - is Alan actually saying the opposite of what he means to say here?

Thanksh. :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

You are so right. I struggle with a single negative - double negatives are totally impossible.

I’ll admit it, all I meant was - they like it here.

I’ve just had an evening with some guests who are leaving tomorrow and I am as fissed as a part. Probably got that the wrong way round as well.

Fluffy
Stu

Post by Stu »

Fluffs. You crack me up, you really do. I would love to meet you. Syb, my eldest & I have just returned from a small bar where 3 of us Anglais have put on a bit of a 'show' for the locals...drums and 2 guitars. We've had an absolute ball! One of the many reasons that I can now quote as being 'why we moved to France...'

Friendships forged. What life's all about for us.

Bonne nuit, tout le monde.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote: I am as fissed as a part. Probably got that the wrong way round as well.Fluffy
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is that when you're not as tuffy as a flowel?

Oh Alan - so funny, and after all that, I'm still puzzling about it this morning! :lol:

Lovely post Stu and Syb.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

GG

I’ve got a hangover you could photograph and am paiting watiently for the tuffy flowels to appear through the haze.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That would be a challenge for Jimbo! Tuffy flowels coming soon, with nice cubes of ice to soothe the troubled brow. :D
Stu

Post by Stu »

Can I have some too? I may have seemed cairly foherent in my post nast light, but I assure you it was done over a period of time akin to glacial proportions (timewise, that is...). Never have I been so pleased to see the 'edit' button!

Partridge - thankyou for your kind words. If we've raised a smile to your lips, then we've succeeded. That's nice, thankyou.

PS. The piggeries are no longer in use by the piggies...
enid

Post by enid »

ask Enid if she’s happy here.
As a sand boy - but I'm actually in my friend's office this morning in the lovely town of Chateau Gontier in the Mayenne ( the others have gone for a walk but I'm streaming with cols so I've stayed by thefire and the tissue supply) I have been coming here for 25 years - we met when I was on my own with my 2 children and they had children the same age and their town was twinned wuth ours. I adore the Lot-et-Garonne but I love this region too and I am waiting 'til I really retire (or at least we finish the renovation) to explore other regions-I don't think you can be unhappy anywhere in France if your own attutude is good.

If you are reading this Stu and/or Syb we are hoping to pass by le Chant on our way home this afternoon :D
Stu

Post by Stu »

Enid - I have only just read this...and it was lovely to meet you both! Syb was a tad late due to beaucoup de circulation en ville! She was sorry to have missed you. No puppies this time, just pots of home-made jams and some fruit! Apples, of course!

Hopefully next time the full ensemble will be present & ready for inspection. Hope you arrived home safely, and hope the cold retires soon!
enid

Post by enid »

Well we did pop in and it was really good to see Stu - hopefully we'll catch Syb next time too. The place is great and with all Stu's ideas and enthusiasm will only get better. Thanks fo rthe tea and the chat Stu - home safely but a bit tired today ( we're not spring chickens!) :D
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

It's great that we are getting slightly away from virtual meetings to real ones.Yay!! :wink: I think I've only met one other member but hopefully that may change over time :lol:

www.thepetitmanoir.com