Can this be true?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

oskar

Which gadget are you using to check inbound links?

We've found Google PR5, Yahoo 110 in, MSN 1,097, and about 3 Google backlinks (looks like you're right) using wholinkstome.

MGoat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Well this is the outcome.

http://www.calvicorsica.iowners.net/index.php?p=home

A bit of copy and paste, and roughly an hour later bob's your uncle.
Last edited by Paul Carmel on Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
PC
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Looking good, Paul.

How long did it take you to set it up? I must have a go especially since I don´t have my own website :oops:

thanks, Maria
oskar

Post by oskar »

Which gadget are you using to check inbound links?
I use http://www.linkpopularity.com/ which surprisingly shows over 1000 IBL today on MSN - it didn´t yesterday! :?:

However, rather than links from other websites, most of the links are internal.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

What an interesting tool. I haven't checked it in a while and found our site listed on a few listing sites I'd never heard of, but which are giving us an inbound link and actually connect to our e-mail address...
Brooke
langley

Post by langley »

Just tried it but it didn't work for me - followed the instructions to install the tool bar and nothing happened. Anyone any ideas?
Independentowners.com

Post by Independentowners.com »

Hi all

I have just been referred to this thread by one of our members. I would like to explain about IndependentOwners.com.

Our whole focus is to provide the opportunity for an owner to build a dedicated website for their rental property completely free of charge. Originally a subscription service, we took the step earlier this month of going completely 'free'. We are able to do this as the interest generated in our first few months has meant that corporate advertisers (car hire, money exchange, insurance, flights etc) want to have exposure to the expected traffic through the main site.

A point that I have to stress is that we do not profess to be a site that will compete with the likes of ownersdirect, holidaylettings, cheznous etc. Well not yet! The searchable listings are purely an added extra should potential renters visit the site. It will probably take many many months before we feature prominently in any 'holiday villa in xxxx' search on major search engines.

In a nutshell you can build a dedicated comprehensive updatable website, complete with its own marketable domain name and easy-to-use Content Management System. Every website has optional pages and can include over 50 photographs to showcase the property; unlimited text to provide a full description; an interactive location map; an ‘at-a-glance’ availability management tool and more. Changes can be made immediately to the all property details, photos, pricing and availability online at anytime from any PC anywhere. And because you have your own unique domain name you can use it to promote the property in any media.

It is completely free... no contract, no set up fees and no hidden charges. At no point do we ask for any credit card or bank details.

I hope the above helps... if you have any questions I would be delighted to answer them.

Bob
IndependentOwners.com
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well! Just shows how popular we are! Nothing on Google or Yahoo and just 3 with MSN and 2 of those were from LMH!!

My own fault though, have done absolutely nothing about IBL so far.......haven't even done anything about meta tags or whatever one needs to get noticed. Must get on and do something about it soon!!!

Kathy
Mountain Goat

IndependentOwners.com

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bob

I have to admit that your site looks as though it has fantastic potential - you offer a range of excellent features for your clients. I did have three questions:

1) Why are you holding back on Google? It seems a missed opportunity to at least get things going with them.

2) Your site has been discussed here, and the slight mystery is how it generates income. I can see that attracting advertisers or 'sponsors' may be the logical answer but how are they going to be presented to our potential customers? Via your home page? Affiliate programmes? Ads in contact e-mails?

3) Do you retain the option to charge for listings in the future?

I genuinely feel it could be a great performer.

Mountain Goat
Independentowners.com

Hi MG

Thank you for you comments... I'll try and answer your questions.
1) Why are you holding back on Google? It seems a missed opportunity to at least get things going with them.

We have a SEO programme planned for early 2007, but as you know it takes time to creep up the rankings so therefore we won't make any claims yet that you'll benefit from a plethora of enquiries by being on our search facility. Thats why we recommend that owners use other well established sites like Chez Nous, Espana Breaks etc to promote their property - but link to their own site (hopefully one of ours) to really showcase the benefits of booking with them. Our main focus is to increase the number of IndependentOwners.com websites built (over 500 to date in only a few months) so that when the portal site does start to appear prominently it'll be a resource that will more than match others in the marketplace.

2) Your site has been discussed here, and the slight mystery is how it generates income. I can see that attracting advertisers or 'sponsors' may be the logical answer but how are they going to be presented to our potential customers? Via your home page? Affiliate programmes? Ads in contact e-mails?
We have already started to include advertising on our site (you'll see on the country pages) and will gradually escalate with more banners and links. This will become more obvious in the coming weeks. We do not plan to include any advertisements on an owners site but may from time to time include reference to a recommended 'sponsor' in our update emails to Members.
3) Do you retain the option to charge for listings in the future?
We will always retain the option to charge for listings in the future - though we will never charge for someone building a website... they will always be free. It is not compulsory to be included in our listings but if (and when) we do generate regular enquiries that subsequently become bookings then we may decide to charge a small annual fee.

I hope that helps MG.

Our aim is to provide the best service available for an owner to build their own dedicated website. We are already looking at adding new features to the self-build website product eg Visitor counter, booking facility, online credit card payments, virtual tour, multiple property templates and more.

Thank you once again, and the other posters on this thread, for your comments... rest assured we also believe that this has fantastic potential .

Bob
IndependentOwners.com
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

This is just a simple inquiry from a goat of little brain. We already have our own website, which is a very effective showcase for our property. Would advertising with your website render it redundant in terms of Independent Owners, Bob? ie I take it that all those in my position would not be able to link to their own sites, but would need to start from scratch to be included on your site? Like it muchly by the way.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Independentowners.com

Hi Gascony

If you are happy with your existing website then you don't need to build one with us.

Though if you wish to be included within our search facility you do need to own an IndependentOwners.com website.

We are not presciptive about content so there is nothing to stop you linking to your existing site. And it only takes about an hour to create a website with us - see Paul's post earlier in this thread.

Hope that helps.

Bob

PS Is it only Goats that have any questions? Inquisitive beasts!
IndependentOwners.com
Patia

Post by Patia »

Hello Bob,

Thank you for dropping in to explain to us - it all looks very interesting. However, no . . goats aren't the only ones with questions . . Langley and I have one too. How do you get that toolbar to appear please? I registered, I have my welcome e-mail, I closed all of my open windows and I re-booted . . but nothing has happened. I tried right-clicking on 'View' but to no avail - no sign of the Independent Owners Toolbar. I am very disappointed! The website Paul produced looks very good, and I was looking forward to trying it myself . . can you help please?

My only other dilemma is that I really need a website for more than one property. I see you are hoping to address that issue shortly but presumably, in the meantime, the only solution is to have a separate site (with individual domain names) for each property?

Patia
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi

Very nice looking site. May I ask a question - why are the rental listing 'websites' held as subdomains of iowners.net rather than independentowners.com?

Cheers
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bob, hi

My toolbar has appeared, no problem (using IE6), but with several IE windows open simultaneously, I don't see the logic of when it appears and when it doesn't. Is there any way of forcing it to open on a particular window?

MG