Ironing Machines

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
The Moles Mother

Ironing Machines

Post by The Moles Mother »

In the cause of preserving my sanity during the coming years we're seriously considering purchasing an ironing press for the sheets, duvet covers, pillows, etc.

But where to start? Trawling round the internet has not really given us much of a clue about what is available, from where, and how much it is likely to cost. Even more importantly, do the things actually work?

If you have one, could you post a quick note to tell me where you got it, how much it cost, and how effective it is.

Thanks,

MM[/i]
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Hello MM

You can check this thread where we have discussed iron presses v professional steam irons.

viewtopic.php?t=2422&postdays=0&postord ... s&start=15

I haven't got an Elena press, but I purchased an iron press from SteamExpress which I use solely for pressing linen i.e. flatsheets, pillowcases..etc.

Hope you find the info useful.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hmmmm.....
we have one that we inherited when we bought Le Chant d'Oiseau. It's a 'Calor' one, and I must admit we're slightly frightened of it. It looks like some kind of instrument of torture from medieval times!

I shall despatch she who must be obeyed to the piggeries to retrieve it. Oh bugger, I'll have to do it myself as she tells me it's too heavy!

Hopefully, I shall return....
A-two

Post by A-two »

MM,
As a follow up to the previous thread, I have since abandoned large duvet covers, as I rarely have anyone to help me fold and it takes two, but I am still doing twin duvet covers and all sheets and pillow cases. The top half of the king sheets are ironed better than the bottom, I kind of abandon half way down when the folding is less than straight. It has paid for itself 3 times over this summer, saving $100s on laundry bills. If I'm too busy to do it all (I buckled at 8 sets of sheets and 7 duvet covers last week), I send the trickiest items to the laundry which makes my pile manageable. Aside from sheets, since I purchased, I have not picked up an iron. I absolutely love the way it does clothes, which gives a real professional finish especially to shirts and my Elna Alize doesn't even have a sleeve attachment, but is really easy to use. It was a real find thanks to LMHatters. Highly recommend.
enid

Post by enid »

I'm still in love with the Elna but it does make a difference if you can have help with the folding. We ourselves have 2 single duvets on our double bed - we got this idea when we stayed in Copenhagen last year- I am thinking of adopting all single duvets for the gites next time I am replacing and then covering the bed with a throw/quilt. So much easier to launder the singles.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I would not be able to survive without my ironing press!! With approx 200 changeovers per annum each with one double set of bedding and two single sets I will let you do the calculations.

I have a Blanca press with an ironing area of 80cm x 30 cm. I can do the single sheets in one go and the single duvet covers fold in half engthways and fit OK. I hate the double sheets as they have to be passed through twice. The double duvets I also fold lengthways, pass through once and then just down the fold, pillowslips and tea towels are a doddle. It helps to have some assistance with folding but this is rarely forthcoming. I tend to stand one side of the dining table and flop the laundry over it and then concertina back towards where I am standing

Clothing is also straightforward but have never been able to master shirts. Then again I don't do them as very soon after I was married my ironing technique was criticised (not done as well as his mother did it). Needless to say I have never ironed another shirt since then.

The press cost about £500 around 15 years ago and it is still going strong despite looking somewhat battered. Replacement cloth covers are easily available.

They are sold by Fast Systems in Reading UK and I think they are also sold on e-bay for £599. I had a lady demonstrator come to my home to show me the folding and pressing techniques which was very helpful.

I think a lot depends on the amount of laundry you have, smaller ones are just as effective but obviously take a while longer so it's horses for courses.

Read the advice of other forum users and then make your own considered decision. If you can get to see a demonstration that would help as well.

All the best and 'Happy Ironing'

Squirrel
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

As previously stated I'm still a big fan of my Elena. About £500 almost 5 years ago but worth every penny. I can even iron Dave's dress shirts okay on it without too many burnt knuckles. :)

When we both used to work full time Dave used to iron his own shirts. His mother found out and I don't think she's ever forgiven me :roll:
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

Thanks all for the replies.

I shall take some time to digest them all then I'm probably going to be back with some specific questions.

Cheers,

MM
Madanne

Ironing Press

Post by Madanne »

Hi there, I have just bought a FastPress through www.singermachines.co.uk. It cost 292.00 inc p & p and was delivered withing 3 days of ordering it from the UK = not bad eh?

It is brilliant, I have never used one before but I get through the ironing in no time and I actually enjoy it now :D ! I can even do shirts better that with an ordinary iron so am well happy!

Good luck, the above site stocks lots of different machines and they are very helpful if you call them. I bought this particular one on the reccommendation of the engineer and it was a third of the price you can buy them here
:D
Stu

Post by Stu »

Cheers for that Madanne. Welcome to the site, btw...(I think I'm allowed to do that now. But if not, Enid'll be along to kick my butt later...).

I'm still too scared to get the Calor out of the piggeries. I'll do it tomorrow, promise, 'k?
Marion

Post by Marion »

Hi Madanne,
which model did you buy? There appears to be two models both on special the 'compact' and the 'magic'. the size of the magic steam press appeals to me, but with the compact press you can change the position of the handle which seems a really good feature to me.

I've been thinking of a steam press for a while and after the reviews here I think it's definitely worth it.

Marion
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
enid

Post by enid »

(I think I'm allowed to do that now. But if not, Enid'll be along to kick my butt later...
je ne comprends pas

I never kick butt - just try to mediate :wink: