LMH: Do you mind people stealing your ideas?

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Oh Vrooje, I hadn't thought of that! Lectures coming up for the kids!
Vally

Post by Vally »

I have always thought of the forums as an extention of pen friends too, of which I had many when I was young.
I like getting to meet people like this..I would say on the whole I am not a very sociable person, but then I add up the number of pals I have some from schooldays , some from first work and some more recent like my best pal who helps me run this place.
I always feel maybe people don't want to know me so I hang back so as not to put them in a difficult position ...on forums you get no option I have my say and if I am ignored it matters not one jot.
I think the only draw back because ( like under a veil) we cannot see each others facial expressions somethimes things come over a little harsher than they might if you were speaking face to face.
Last edited by Vally on Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,
I am suddenly amused that we are having a polite and useful discussion about the use of forums as a mode of communication -- on a forum.
But, do all forum users know how to use a forum?

In my experience the answer is often – NO! There’s nothing polite or useful about some. Some are used as soap boxes for the peddling of prejudices, where dismissiveness and rudeness are the order of the day. On those, one doesn’t dare give an honest opinion.

What a contrast they make with life on LMH. "It's life Jim but not as we know it".

Vally,
I think the only draw back because ( like under a veil) we cannot see each others facial expressions somethimes things come over a little harsher than they might if you were speaking face to face.
I have a web cam on my PC and I keep it switched off just in case someone does see my facial expressions.

Fluffy
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Susan wrote:On the privacy issue - have you noticed how a few of people on the forum have suddenly removed their photo avatars???
I've yet to find a camera that can survive the experience, so a photo avatar from me is pretty unlikely; in any case, these days I'd need a wide angled lens!! :lol:
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All, :D
As ive been away Ive just been catching up this discussion was really interesting...Isnt most of what you know and learn some sort of theft...If you read a book and theres something that strikes a chord you store it to use, maybe a bit of advice....Conversations youve had, wise things people have said.
Ive learnt sooo much from this Forum and I think the fact that its so open and giving is the reason and you reap what you sow if you give out you get back...but you should never keep score...
Ive found that mostly if you are a giving person that you attract like minded people and friends and that you can be judged by the quality of friends that you have...Im blessed with loads of great friends...we all have out little weaknesses but that makes us all the more endearing....
A friend of mine didnt like a group she was hanging about with...her partners friends wives..you know the sort..

she said everytime I go round to see them they make me feel awful and depress me....
I said dont go round there any more!!!

I know its not that simple but somehow it is...lifes tooo short to hang about with people you dont like and who upset you.

Some people take joy in being negative so let them but dont keep them company!!!!!!

I saw a sign in a church once

There are no strangers here only friends we have not met.

I think of you as my friends[hope you dont mind] and what a great bunch you are

Long may you keep giving. :wink: :lol:
enid

Post by enid »

lifes tooo short to hang about with people you dont like and who upset you.
Agree agree agree - I really really don't want to spend my remaining allotted span playing games - love me or leave me but don't waste my time!
I like getting to meet people like this
So do I - I have a little catch up and then go off to do a job often with a smile on my face from someone's witticism or with something to ponder on.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hmmmm

Reminds me of a saying my Dad uses....but in the interests of NOT going off topic, I shall make a new one in the cafe :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Anybody mind?

I think I'll come back later when my telephone goes "dring-dring" and doesn't sound like a winking frog.

I'll come back later when the dross of Terjohatedder has been eradicated.

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fluff
I did the same as you on another post but now theyve gone we just look silly[well no change for me then]
BTW how does a winking frog go :wink: :mrgreen:
debk

Post by debk »

Terjohatedder
Was rather sad to see Paul's response disappear along with him... but hats off to our moderators. Thanks for your work!
debk
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I guess in the future we'll have to save all our spammer insults for a separate thread! :)

I really wish there was a "delete all posts from this user" button. A little scary, perhaps, but it would make the 46-post spammer no worse than the single-post spammer.

Maybe I've just missed the previous spam attempts, but this one struck me as a bit more disquieting. This poster was fast. There were several spam posts, in several different topics, made in the same 60-second period. And, he posted from several different IP addresses (proxies, presumably). Either he was really quick with the cut and paste, or he had an automated program with an iterative loop to go through all the topics on the forum and post several posts.

That wouldn't be good.

I wonder what the non-internet analog is to having a spammer interrupt your pleasant-and-polite conversation...
Brooke
debk

Post by debk »

I wonder what the non-internet analog is to having a spammer interrupt your pleasant-and-polite conversation...
The lousy accordian player who walks up and hovers over your until-then perfectly charming and romantic dinner? :evil:
debk