Safe ways to display e-mail addresses

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
kershy

Post by kershy »

Hi,

Seriously OT.

I just happened across this discussion. I am not a holiday property owner, all though I have staying a few times in holiday apartments and now prefer them to hotels.

I find spam fascinating, but not in the sense i like receiving it! it annoys the crap out of me. I have been reading in this thread about "safe" ways to display email address. As far as I know there is no safe way of doing. If the browser can render the source code and present a useful email address to a user, then it is available for a spammer.

These techniques may still work on some of the crawlers, but spammers are adaptive. By using an email address on a website, or open forum the chances are it will get picked up, even with clever encoding. This is security through obscurity. If it does ever work at all, it is not guarantee and surely not for long.

All I can say if you choose to publish your email address you have to accept that there is a high chance you will get spammed. It appears from an earlier post that on the Leoro site at least you have the option of choosing if or not it is displayed at all.

To clarify something I said above. My hobby is spam.. Not sending, but detecting, analysing and doing my best to stop it entering my inbox. Everyone needs a hobby.

King Regards ( and no offence intended )

Warren
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

kershy,

Check out viewtopic.php?t=2471 where we discuss how to keep from getting spammed but still include your e-mail on a page.

it can be done, so long as you write code that is specific to your page. It would take a very smart bot indeed to decipher unique javascript code (if properly written) and realize that it's an e-mail address!
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Warren, hello

My hobby is spam.. Not sending, but detecting, analysing and doing my best to stop it entering my inbox

How have you tackled the relatively new form of spam (discussed elsewhere on this site) which is mainly aimed at ramping US share prices? Normal format is nonsense text (though real words) with an underlying html share plug appearing after a slight delay. Fake to/from e-mail addresses in the header, of course.

This seems to be a challenge for most of the anti-spam guys at the moment, but interested to know whether you have a solution with a low risk of zapping genuine traffic.

MGoat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've just split this topic off into a new one, so that the other thread remains on-topic.

Carry on!
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

vrooje

Sorry, that's my fault - where's it gone? The split I mean.

MountainG
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Kershy, hi :wink: I am totally untechie but I find all this stuff fascinating ( not quite fascinating enough for a hobby though 8) ). It is something that will apply to us all, techie or not, so go for it !! I for one am all ears ( if a strawberry can have ears).

www.thepetitmanoir.com