Getting a carte de sejour in the Dordogne

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Given the awful way the Brexit negotiations are going and the feeling that we are heading towards a 'no deal' scenario I thought it would be wise to get a carte de sejour.
I saw online that you could ask for an appointment online but whenever I tried I was told that there were no appointments available (after having had to accept getting access to an unsafe website!). So I thought I would go to Périgueux with all the relevant information (and more) and see if I could talk to someone. The person on the reception desk said that you could only get an appointment online. I explained that I had been unable to do so as there were none available and could I please talk to someone. The reply was that the only way was to apply online.
I have tried everyday since and there are still no appointments available. I sent a note to the contact on the webpage and got a reply to say that there are no appointments available, that I should keep trying.

Has anyone had any tips or advice as to how to proceed?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

The Dordogne authorities have massively under-estimated the number of Brits they have living here. There are currently no appointments available and they do not expect to be able to release any further appointments until October, at the earliest.

You can only proceed when you have an appointment.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

It's still holiday time so until we get to September many staff will be away taking their annual holidays.
Fleur
Circé

Post by Circé »

That's the way of the world, Dusty! If your dept works on appts made online for CdS that's the way you have to go, logging on at all hours of the night to see if they have released any more appts.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I belong to a local ladies' association - mostly Brits. One of our members is heavily involved with this as a representative of the British Community Committee in France and they are in touch with the British Embassy here and the Ambassador.

The information I noted above about the under-estimation of the number of British in the Dordogne and there being no more appointments released before October has come directly from them. My understanding is that there are not only no appointments available until October but that you cannot ask for an appointment until they are released in October.

It is a mess!
Circé

Post by Circé »

As the Brexit vote happened over 2 years ago anyone wanting a CdS has had plenty of time to request one.

Brexit isn't France's fault, why should Prefectures have to find extra staff to deal with a one-off rush of Brits trying to establish a right to stay here?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I agree with Circe although, to be fair, the situation has been unclear for quite a while and is still unclear.

We don't need our CdS on the day of Brexit - I believe there is a grace period of 18 months or so so no real panic.

The problem of CdS is that many of existing Prefecture staff were not around when we had to have them back in the day and they have no idea of the procedures. We had them 25 years ago but when we went to renew them we were sent packing for being so silly because we didn't need them anymore.

If you're really worried about it all why not get French nationality - or Irish if you have an Irish parent or grandparent ……….
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks to all for your responses. I agree that the Brexit decision is totally the fault of the British and therefore why should the french, or any other country have to make special arrangements to cater for those of us who want to stay.
I am going to apply for french nationality but that is a long process and wanted to get the CdS while we went through that process.
I will keep trying to get an appointment.
CSE

Post by CSE »

In a Dutch on line newspaper it stated that the Brits are presently looking to move before next year to the area. One estate agent saying that he has sold more houses in one month then the whole of last year. If that is the case maybe the situation will continue for some time.
There is a group named (RIFT) Remain in France Together. Maybe worth looking them up on line or on FB
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

thanks Ian and Irene, I just tried again just now to ask for a rdv (it's now part of my daily routine) and got the following message

You don't have permission to access /booking/create/10875 on this server.

They certainly don't want to make things easy for us. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that everyone is not out to get me :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I can't speak for the Dordogne, but in other parts of France, many Brits who have enquired about a CdeS over the last two years have been sent packing with a brusque "You don't need one". Now it seems that the authorities have changed their minds and they are granting them, but they could easily have done that over the post-referendum period, spreading the load more evenly.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

You're right Moliere and that Brits asking for a CdeS have been sent packing in the past. The French authorities are now, however, realising that they will have to start renewing and issuing these and Prefectures have been told, by higher French authorities, to co-operate and be helpful.

But, that doesn't mean they can or will (even with the best will in the world) as they are out of the habit of dealing with the procedures and many Prefecture staff currently working have never had to deal with them. Plus, of course, they just don't have the staff …………..
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Circé wrote:As the Brexit vote happened over 2 years ago anyone wanting a CdS has had plenty of time to request one.

Brexit isn't France's fault, why should Prefectures have to find extra staff to deal with a one-off rush of Brits trying to establish a right to stay here?
Very Defensive ????????

Take it you weren't here in 1992 ? When they did have the staff at the prefectures and normaly you did'nt need a cds but France was the only country in Europe that kept it on for years !

Well I was and it was hell so god knows what it will be like now !
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Yes, Jensen, we were here in 1992 and didn't have a CdeS initially but got fed up being asked for one and/or having to carry our UK passports everywhere. We jumped through all the required hoops to get our CdeS but when we went back, dutifully, to renew it the Mairie said we didn't need to and to go away. We did. Now, we need one again and will have to jump through a load more hoops.

As I said - it is a mess.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

I had the same trouble getting an appointment at the Prefecture in Brittany. My Grandson's visa was due to run out and I couldn't get us an appointment before we went away for the summer. I tried whilst we were away and eventually got one just before his visa ran out. They told us they were fully booked until October. They said what happens is people make appointments for the whole family so a block booking and then don't turn up. I suspect some of the block appointments are made by people who charge extra to help you through the process.

I got my CdS two years ago when my husband was renewing his Visa and managed to get them to give me one. I had asked before but they said I didn't need one. The same staff who do the CdS for the British also have to do the Visa's and CdS for none Eu citizen's. When we went before the appointment system came in there were always tons of people waiting from all over the world.