Internet Access Do your guests really need it

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Oh, I forgot, people who need access often have a Blackberry nowadays.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's true Susan, though a pain to use if you need to type anything lengthy. Paul, how do we go about getting the necessary for people to access their laptops - ie not through their mobiles - I assume thats the ASDL WIFI box thingy. I know this pertains to France, but other readers might be able to benefit from the info you're giving too, albeit in a more general way.

Thanks!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
debk

Post by debk »

I'm envious, Paul. Last year the ADSL WIFI offered by our provider was too weak to work well. This year, I think we'll move ahead for two of the properties with the WIFI. Fingers crossed.

We'll also keep the laptops at the houses because we have two types of internet-dependent guests: those who are thilled to not have to lug a laptop with them and those who only want to use their own PCs. Best of both worlds for everyone.

Susan, I can confirm what Jane says. The Blackberry is great for keeping in touch but it doesn't replace a PC. Not that I think every rental should have laptops... I don't! But they definitely meet the needs of our chosen market: guests that don't want a pool. :)
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Not that I think every rental should have laptops... I don't! But they definitely meet the needs of our chosen market: guests that don't want a pool.
Deb, you are so right, sometimes a compromise has to be made and the pool is certainly a big factor in why guests choose to stay with us, rather than internet access. Our guests are predominantly families with youngish children and the last thing they want or need is the internet. And if they do (we've had guests in the middle of a housemove who needed to check email for example) then I offer them my laptop to use.
I'm sure it is something I'll have to change my mind on in the future, but for now it isn't adversely effecting my bookings.

Jane, you can get a livebox from FT for wifi access for about 1€ at the moment, unlimited broadband access is 25€ per month. If you have access to Free, Alice or Tiscali you may find they are cheaper, but you will still need to pay the subscription for an FT fixed line regardless of which ISP you use.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Interesting topic!

Debk..laptops aren't cheap, unlike TVs and DVDs which are so cheap to replace, so do you worry that there might be mis-use e.g. young children playing with them and causing accidental damage? Do you have a bigger damage deposit to account for any breakages to the computer equipment?
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Crystal -

No, we don't have any special damage deposit. I bought the laptops when they went on sale at FNAC for €650 and the PC was offered for €350 :) by the phone company with a new phone line.

We've have kids of all ages and never a problem with the PCs. More than one person on a different forum assured me I would, but it appears that, as I hoped, they weren't talking from experience... just spreading doom and gloom, as was their want.

Again, the Cable TV is what makes my life hell. I'm always having to swap a powerbox here, pick up a new cable there. Hate it. (Doesn't help that we don't watch TV ourselves... so I will never understand why anyone would want to watch TV while on vacation!)

Then again, these very differences are part of what makes the world such an interesting place.
debk
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Jane,

Ours came from Amazon follow this link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireles ... lectronics

The signal is strong I can even use it in the garden......which is nice.
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks very much Paul - have bookmarked it, and have printed off the first page to show Mr GG when he comes home. It would certainly be handy when we're there, even if our guests don't as yet have it at the top of their wish list! Might save me those frustrating trips to the local Internet cafe, struggling with a PC, and one with a French keyboard at that, plus dealing with the owner, who is on "Gers time", (so laid back he's almost horizontal ie): if there's a problem you have to coax him inside (he's usually having a fag in the sun) or wait 10 mins (with your bought minutes about to expire) to prise him away from an interesting conversation he's having!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
debk

Post by debk »

Might save me those frustrating trips to the local Internet cafe, struggling with a PC, and one with a French keyboard at that, plus dealing with the owner, who is on "Gers time", (so laid back he's almost horizontal ie): if there's a problem you have to coax him inside (he's usually having a fag in the sun) or wait 10 mins (with your bought minutes about to expire) to prise him away from an interesting conversation he's having!
And if it's a 'frustrating' experience for you, being familiar with the culture and language, perhaps it's safe to assume that it's even worse for your guests?

'Course, we all know about assuming... :roll:
debk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

For my own use I've gone through the whole process, dial up modem, ISDN and ADSL. There's always been a little capital cost involved but each time I've upgraded the running costs have been downgraded. In other words, for me broadband is at the same time the best option and the cheapest option. If anyone uses the Internet much and broadband is available there is no argument.

In addition, a wireless network is really cheap and is very flexible. It cost a little in capital but it costs nothing to run so why not have it and offer it to your guests?

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
for me, wireless won't work for me through the walls of the gites and my ADSL is too weak to have more than one user, so if I could, I would, but the walls in my house are well over 1m thick, so I've no option but to add new phone lines in order to have internet access.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

debk wrote:...they definitely meet the needs of our chosen market: guests that don't want a pool. :)
debk
Aaagh, many thanks for that insight Debk.

At the beginning of this year, I installed a WIFI network in our Villa, and also have an external power socket on the patio by the pool with a good signal and shade, and yet, so far, nobody has taken up the offer. Now I understand :roll:

Anyway, a related question. What about a printer ?
When I visit our Villa, I often need to check in and print my boarding card (we always travel very light), and occasionally the odd email. I bought a really cheap printer for €39, so do not care if it lasts only 1 season. In fact, when I last checked, a new set of ink cartridges would be €34, so why not replace the printer each time the ink runs out :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,
wireless won't work for me through the walls of the gites
You and me both. I set up my wireless network, with repeaters where necessary, to suit me. If my guests want to “piggy back� onto what I have they’re welcome to do so. If they want “ought for nought� they’re welcome to think so but they might be seriously disappointed. Oh! dear, what a bugger?

Fluffy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan,
so what do you do to give your guests internet access - do the repeaters do the job to allow them to 'piggy back' off your wireless network? We've just had the capacity of our ADSL doubled to 1.2M here in the country! I still haven't had the courage to set up the livebox instead of the modem as I've heard so many negative things about them (and I am restricted to wanadoo).
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Here in Spain, I have an ADSL contract with Wanadoo, now changed to Orange from last month. On special offer they supplied a WiFi router when I signed up. As I was doing it myself, I set up a wired connection to my desktop. I have yet to check how effective the Wifi signal is in other parts of the house or garden. Even though I have ADSL listed as available, none of guests enquired about it during the booking stage. However one group had brought their laptops with them so I just installed the router which I had locked away. Another family brought their laptops but the parents suggested that if the children knew that ADSL were available that they would spend too much time on the internet.

Maria