Internet Access Do your guests really need it

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Stephen

Internet Access Do your guests really need it

Post by Stephen »

Hi
Do any of you offer free internet access at any of your properties !!
Just wondering, do people really want internet access while on holiday..or is it a distraction.

We started with sattellite broadband and the company went bust, we signed up with Talk Talk four months ago !! and still no service, I have just cancelled Talk Talk as I don't need all the stress that they are causing me and have decided I can live without it in our cottage as the most time we spend there is one week at a time.

Your thoughts and avice are appreciated.

Thanks
debk

Post by debk »

We provided PCs or laptops with ADSL/high-speed internet access at all four of our Lisbon properties.

It definitely attracts bookings. Guests use it to check weather, stay on top of email, book restaurants, etc. All kids over 10 seem to be thrilled to "finally" arrive somewhere that they can send a message to their friends. (postcards don't cut it anymore, you know)

We also bought microphones (€3) for them to use skype.com for calling friends/family/whatever anywhere in Europe or America at no cost. Happy guests!

I was warned that support issues would be a constant distraction. No way. The Cable TV boxes/links are a constant maintenance problem... :evil: ... the PCs are not. (For maintenance, I wipe/out rebuild the hard drive once every year or two or three.)

To avoid confusion with guests about what is or is not supported on the PCs, I have blurb that I send with each confirmed reservation (a copy of what's on our website). So far, so good.

This year, I'm going to reinvestigate wireless connections. It wasn't quite ready for prime-time last time I looked, but 2007 may be the year.
debk
paolo

Re: Internet Access Do your guests really need it

Post by paolo »

Stephen wrote:Just wondering, do people really want internet access while on holiday.
In my case, I would say for at least a third of renters and potential renters it is highly desired. Not just for the reasons debk gave but also to stay in touch with work. I'm talking about high-speed internet rather than dial-up. For me as a renter it would be almost essential.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
enid

Post by enid »

We are going to set it up for next year - not in the gites themselves but in the games room (well that's its working name) that we are making in the adjacent barn.My Mac has a wireless connection and guests with a wireless laptop were able to access the Internet from the gites this year so we'll be continuing down that root - just have to get wirless cards for the PCs. We would certainly appreciate it in a holiday letting - we already let clients access the Internet from our computers. I think it will be like the TV and DVd - some folks will use them more than others and somle not at all. We have Skype - I like your idea of providing it for the guest PC Deb :D
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Enid - We put €25 on the guest skype account early last month on we're at €23.57 now. At €1.20 per hour of talktime, it's a cheap way to look really generous. :)

Sadly, though, this will be my last post. I'm off to DietCoke Rehab, as the "first step" was for Paolo to admit I had a problem... 8)
debk
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

If I book hotels, villas etc I always choose one with internet access, We were going to provide Free internet access through
a laptop and wi-fi so guests could bring their own Laptops if they wanted to, we were also going to provide free telephone
calls (local,national & International) but after 4 months of waiting............ talk talk should be called No talk talk..

Welcome to the luxury of NO Broadband :( until you get home and have a mountain of email to answer..
KathyG

Re: Internet Access Do your guests really need it

Post by KathyG »

Stephen wrote: the most time we spend there is one week at a time.
Stephen,

You mean you can go for a whole week without looking at Lay My Hat??!!! :shock: :shock:

Kathy
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Kathy
I usually have so much work to do in the garden(2 acres) tidying up, cutting the grass, strimming, planting etc that I
don't have much time left in the evening, once I have had a shower and a bottle of wine the evening is over..

My wife often complains that I spend too much time working in the garden.

Mind you I would like to have broadband again but our cottage is in a little village in the North Pennines and we are often neglected when it come to services, next month we are getting wheelie bins (wow) One for recycling and one for household waste which will be emptied every two weeks...in 2010 we are getting digital tv......

There is also a Tourist information centre about 4 miles away where I can check on my email for £1 an hour.......but I usually don't.
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

For me as a renter it would be almost essential, but not everyone is the same.

I recently installed wireless access and informed a guest of the service but his response was "thanks but when I am on holiday I like to be on holiday"

However it could be the deciding factor when someone is comparing two similar properties. That one rental could cover the yearly cost, plus it allows you to keep in touch with work/bookings etc when using your property. Much to the annoyance of the Mrs!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

To my knowledge, I've never lost a booking because the cottages do not have a telephone line or internet access. If anyone ever asks, I say they are welcome to use my laptop to collect e mails, we also have a bar a few kms away which offers internet access. However, the majority of my guests are not from the USA - if they were maybe I'd have to change my policy, it seems to be a must have for them. For me, there would be considerable expense in getting internet access for all 3 properties and at the moment at least, it isn't worth it.
Most people come here for a holiday and want to get away from it!
debk

Post by debk »

the majority of my guests are not from the USA
Interesting point. Neither are mine.

Off the top of my head, I remember the Australians being most excited about the internet... though that could be because we just had another long run of Australians. (Love 'em!!!)

Hmmm, thinking again, the last family to mention they booked specifically because of the PC was from South Africa. And to think we bought the place because of the view. :roll:
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That was a quick cure, dietcokek! :D

I'm with Susan on this one; we've only had one inquiry re internet access, and the guest both times (came two years running) brought his laptop. Beats the hell out of me how he managed to use it there though since we've made no special provision! Anyone any clues about this?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

GG, He might have used his mobile phone as a modem. We took a booking yesterday, and having ADSL WIFI swung it.
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Paul, thanks for that. If I do a search for ADSL WIFI, will I understand what that is? Or could you do a swift paraphrase please? :D :D :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Its a little box that plugs into your phone socket, and if you have ASDL you are able to access the Internet without your computer being plugged into the wall, it also means if you came to our house with your laptop I could give you a code and you could use it as well, plus if you have more than one computer in the house you can use them all at the same time. ie no bickering with spouse or kids over who gets to use the thing.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
PC