Help needed with website refit!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Giddy Goat

Help needed with website refit!

Post by Giddy Goat »

Calling all website techies! I received the news yesterday that our website designer, who was also hosting and maintaining our website, has had a recent career change, and will not be continuing with his existing clients. I understand that it is no big deal to host the website myself - but maintaining it is another matter! I am totally non-techie, and am incapable of being anything else. Commas and apostophes are one thing, but SE's, templates etc ... put it this way, not long ago, when I first sat at a PC and attempted to move the mouse, I had to use both hands.

This continued for some time.

It has come to light (thanks Paolo, Marcus and others) that, while we have a nice website, the fact that it has been constructed around frames means that the text, which I spent a long time researching and typing, as one does, was not being found by the search engines. The website has remained a valuable tool when advertisers have found our property on a listing site and clicked through via the link provided - but otherwise, was gathering dust in cyberspace.

So what I am wondering is, since we have to find a new person to maintain the site, whether anyone is interested and able to reconstruct the site, but doing away with the frames? As much as possible, we want to keep to the same basic design (colour scheme eg/sequencing of information and ease of navigation) as is already in place. Have no idea what might be involved, but having already paid for the design, it would be preferable not to have to pay a lot extra on top for this to be done. We'd also like to retain the ability to update the site ourselves as and when, eg making minor changes to the text, adding photos etc.

Please have a look at our website (below) and PM me if you think you can help. As far as handover and maintenance is concerned, our designer assures me he will do everything possible to ensure that the transfer will be seamless - I explained of course that this is an important time of year in respect of people planning holidays. The re-design is non-urgent, but we need someone to take over maintenance soonishly.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I forgot to highlight the fact that I am not looking to get this done for nothing! Just not a leg and a hoof!

There is one small additional requirement, and that is that we were about to add another page to our website for links when the designer had his change of direction. Ideally, the links would be accessed via an extra button, under the Rental Information section. So it might need some clever software??? Don't know! But anyone interested would certainly know as soon as they look at our site I expect.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello GG,

Perhaps you should contact www.pinkeyemedia.com for a quote? Matthew runs this, and is a member of LMH. I ran a couple of comments/queries past him and he was very upfront and helpful..made a good impression on me, anyway, although I have not actually used his services.

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle. Long live "Au Chicot" :D :D

Jenny
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks so much for the tip Jenny! Long live Au Chicot! Like it!! :D