Prices and advertising ......... 2 - a follow up

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mpprh

Prices and advertising ......... 2 - a follow up

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I sit on the both sides of the fence.

I have properties to rent, and also run a regional website.

So, how do you decide where to advertise ? What criteria do you look for ?

I can offer an ad price of Euro 1 per 1000 views on my website. But how do you know they are a "good" 1000 views ?
I have a forum with free classifieds where 1600 topics are read every day.

But I don't have too many gites/B&B/hotel advertisers.

I've got lots of stats about referral source, search engine, keyword, external link, country, region, city, language spoken, etc.

How do you decide where to advertise ?

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
marcus

Post by marcus »

Hi

Being in a similar position, I think this is an interesting question.

First thing, I don't think many people would pay for an ad on a 'number of views' basis, especially if you are talking about 'site page views' rather than 'specific page views' because the traffic is not targetted - most of each 1000 views will not notice the ad, most who do won't be interested etc. Also it is not easy for an advertiser to verify pageviews and be sure they are not being overcharged.

The approach to advertising our own properties I take is:
1) keep an eye on forums like LMH, to see whether newcomer sites are doing well (eg holidaylettings, ownersdirect at the moment)
2) try a couple of cheap / free sites that look promising
3) check which sites are doing well in the search engines for specific appropriate searches
4) Make sure our own rental website is doing OK for 'local' based search phrases.

From a 'regional site owner' perspective I am trying a different approach, which is not appropriate to describe here but I believe will prove successful - ask me in 12 months!