Fire regulations

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
newtimber

Fire regulations

Post by newtimber »

For those that aren't aware, new fire regulations are coming in on 1 October and everyone needs to take action before then. People most effected are those with barn conversions where staircases come off open plan sitting rooms. There is significant expense in making these more fire resilient. And every bedroom is going to have to have an interlinked smoke alarm...
CSE

Re: Fire regulations

Post by CSE »

Living out side of the UK this has nothing that affects my property.
I still searched about it as you did not post any links and I was nosey.
I obviously found this on the UK gov website.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... tober-2023
Found a lot of other websites referring back to the same. It is pretty useless on its own. So searching for section 156 of the Building Safety Act 2022. I got to this.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-act-2022 It looks like domestic buildings are not within the scope of these changes to fire regulations.
These requirements apply to all non-domestic premises, such as where people work, visit or stay, including workplaces, and the non-domestic parts of multi-occupied residential buildings (e.g. communal corridors, stairways, plant rooms). The requirements do not apply within individual domestic premises.
B&Bs and hotels will be affected. I cannot find anything about fire alarms.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

It affects every place that has temporary paying guests. PASC has lots of advice on it.
stevem

Post by stevem »

Just had email from Travel Chapter on this and have been looking at the PASC site.

"The new guidance for small properties provides details on the checks that should be made. You may choose to delegate some of these checks to others, such as a caretaker or housekeeper, or use the services of a third-party contractor to carry out work on fire detection and alarm systems, for example. Even if you delegate some of the requirements to others, use contractors, or utilise our managed services, the responsibility for compliance remains with you as the “Responsible Person”.
As detailed in the guidance, reviewing and completing the FRA should not be treated as just a ‘tick-box’ exercise. The FRA should cover all findings, not just significant ones, and should set out details on appropriate measures undertaken and ways to mitigate fire risks. By way of example only, the measures may include:
Inspections carried out on all types of heating and hot water systems (not just gas)
Chimneys and flues to be swept at least annually
Fire detectors/alarms: a Grade D1 system (which includes smoke alarms in all bedrooms) consisting of one or more mains powered interlinked detectors, each with a tamper-proof standby supply (consisting of batteries, being recommended)
Heat alarms should be installed in kitchens, and may be required in other rooms such as laundry and utility rooms
Hollow and thin panel doors, and any non-fire resisting glazing within doors or frames, would usually need to be replaced with 30-minute, fire-resisting doors
Front and rear exit doors should not need a key to unlock them – a simple latch or thumb turn would usually be good enough
Carrying out regular checks, which may include some checks in between stays, 6-monthly or annually"

I have a three bedroom ground floor flat. I already have a Fire Risk Assessment as I think most of us will have. I have also radio interlinked battery operated smoke detectors in all bedrooms and hall (plus heat detector in kitchen). Upgrading doors to 30 minute fire doors seems a bit onerous as it is not just the door but the frame and fitting.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

You don’t have to have fire doors so long as they are solid. I expect the layout of your flat is fine but some places have bedrooms off the sitting rooms which isn’t acceptable as the exit route cannot be through another room.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Having read through the 'Guidance. Making your small paying guest accommodation safe from fire', my main shortcomings are not having smoke alarms in the bedrooms, lounge and no heat alarm in the kitchen. No emergency escape lighting and also having to replace the bedroom doors with fire compliance ones with closures.
More work and expense (groan) but it will have to be done.
Keep your powder dry.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Has anyone actually completed a fire risk assessment yet? Was looking to find someone who had completed the basic template that I can copy ....
Drax

Post by Drax »

Hi newtimber,
If you click on this it contains 'guidance to making your small paying guest accommodation safe from fire'.
Within the guidance there is a fire safety risk assessment template.
I used this.
You may find it useful.
Regards.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/making-your-small-paying-guest-accommodation-safe-from-fire
Keep your powder dry.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Thanks but I wanted to see a copy of a completed template.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

There is also a requirement to provide the fire risk assessment to guests!

https://www.pascuk.co.uk/mp-files/combi ... qs-v1.pdf/