Building my first website - who should I go with?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
ginelli

Building my first website - who should I go with?

Post by ginelli »

Well, it's been 5 years. Bought my place in Turkey, did it up. Then bought my place in Languedoc, nearly killed my self doing it up but it is nearly finished.

It's high time I started advertising them online and want my own website. I figure I'm going to need 15 - 20 pages and I'm looking for one of those companies where you get your domain, they host the site for you and, most importantly, they include a website builder too (I would love to get into Dreamweaver but have decided I don't have the time for now).

Anyhow, 1&1 looked perfect for my needs but then I find out that their website builder doesn't offer enough pages :twisted: Ok, I could get one of their business packages but it's going to cost over 120quid a year! I'm looking for 30-50quid a year.

Any much needed advice, fellow holiday rental owners?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

gino

It's a major step, I know, but is just over two quid a week not too extravagant to market two properties?

Mgoat
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Hello Gino!

Do you really need 15-20 pages??? Are you not in danger of having an overcomplicated website?

I have managed very well for the past 3 years with just 8 pages and I have just taken 2 new bookings this week for 2 more weeks in November, bringing my total number of weeks rented out this year to 39...

So remember - size isn't everything :wink:

Good luck with your venture! (My dad's Turkish by the way!!!!)

PS - I have signed up with 1and1 and I am impressed with them so far (although I haven't yet transferred my main website onto them, for no other reason than lack of time). But I do recommend them, and they had been recommended to me by a number of other people.
gh

Post by gh »

We use 1 & 1 too, followed a template for our site, we are definately novices at web site building and found 1 & 1 managable.

Good luck.
garlic

Post by garlic »

I use 1&1 as well and aside from the fact I hate the template constrictions they're fine. I think you'll find if you take the basic package you then have the option to upgrade to unlimited pages for a couple of extra quid a month, Well I do.
paul smith

Post by paul smith »

Gino

I use 1&1 internet, the basic package I think. Should do you ok.
website

Post by website »

Hi Gino.

For me, forget 1 & 1.

I used to host lots of websites with them and they had a good customer service team but they moved it to India and now they either don't pick up the phone or keep you hanging on for 30 mins and then still can't answer your question.

I use Fasthosts, they are really good. I have changed most of my hosting over to them. Their customer service team are excellent. Also they have great extra add on items, like accepting online payments and bookings. Which come in very handy when building a holiday home rental. Well see what you think of my site Gino, banskobulgaria.co.uk This is using Fasthosts.

I have one domain with www.123-reg.co.uk (who are pipex). I haven't done much to the site, have a look, pieceofthepie.co.uk but this option was very cheap. I can't remember exactly but it was about £40 for the year. This included 10 pages. I think the website looks professional enough for this price !

I hope this helps.

Cheers :D
Ski in Winter - Relax in the Summer
www.banskobulgaria.co.uk
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Heart internet do totally free hosting which is pretty good for a small property site.

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/freewebhosting.shtml

I have a free account with them for my virtual assistant business and have had no problems.

I also recommend CMSimple where you can build a good site with free templates with only very limited internet knowledge.

I created one for my friends that they can update themselves via the web at www.aegean-view.co.uk

So you can basically host a site and create it for nothing.
Always Learning
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Wow!! Thanks everyone for the replies and great advice. I've spent some time looking at all your suggestions and websites. It really has been a great help.

Garlic, I'm especially interested in what you said about taking the cheapest 1&1 package then upgrading for more pages at a few extra pounds a month.

How would I go about this? I mean, I already have a firm number of pages in mind for the website (around 14-16), so I will want those number of pages immediately and not gradually more over time. Is it just a matter of signing up for the beginner package and calling up for straight away for an upgrade? What if they tell me I have to take the business package? Please advise on course of action.

Thanks
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Gino, I have a 1and1 package, i got a special offer, so my first 6 months were actually free.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

This may make me unpopular, but I wouldn't skimp on a website hosting package because of price. I would of course try to find the best price for the features I wanted, but I would never host my site with a company that limited the number of pages I could have to anything near what I felt I needed. Who knows what the future will bring?

Over the years I have become convinced that our website is our primary bread-winner. Plenty of our clients find our website directly and book without ever seeing our ad on a listing site. But even those that find us on listing sites are often convinced by our personal web site (and tell us so).

I think it's well worth 120 quid per year.

But you can also find hosting packages that would easily handle anything a small website (like most of ours are) can throw at it, for very little money. godaddy.com has a hosting package that is US$3.59 per month (for a year), and whose limitations are likely well beyond what a small website would need. For example, as long as you don't store masses of huge images on your site, 14-16 pages would barely make a dent in the 5GB of storage offered with that package, and it leaves plenty of room for expanding your site later on.

I'm sure these types of things can be found for sites hosted in the UK, non?
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,
This may make me unpopular
If being honest leads to unpopularity you are only joint first in the queue.

A few weeks ago a round of drinks in the Edinburgh Holiday Inn cost me the thick end of £60, and I'm going to argue about a full year's worth of Web Site hosting for £120? I don't think so!

Fluffy
garlic

Post by garlic »

Ok within my 1&1 control panel I have the option to upgrade to 'website builder plus' at 4.99 a month. This would give me unlimited pages and lots of other lovely features that I really can't do without. I'm a bit of a skin flint or rather a skint flint but I think that's quite reasonable, part of the reason I haven't done it yet is because I can't quite decide whether to separate my sites ie: have one for my Llama business and then another for my Gite in which case two of the basic packages would suit me or to upgrade the package I have and within my one site try to create two sites if you see what I mean :? I'm not sure and it's all web stuff to me and not my strength.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I've been following this, quietly.

Ultimately, your website is only of any value if you have visitors. Sure, you can get inbound links but my experience is that most visits come from google. Doesn't matter who you use, expensive or not, if it is not highly rated by google for your keywords it is an expensive accessory.

You need to discuss this with your suppliers and ask for examples of previous clients.

Having said that, I'm heartbroken that I've lost my No 1 spot with google.com this week. I'm now No 2 from 38m references for "Languedoc". But I've been working on it !

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Hanorah

Post by Hanorah »

Even though the heart internet hosting is free it does not skimp on features I use it for a commercial site I run.

It is equivalent to most start up hosting packages through normal providers and you are not limited in any way on pages etc.

Seems that sometimes there really is such a thing a free lunch.

Webspace: 2,500 MB
Data Transfer: 100 MB
Mail Boxes: 1,000
Autoresponders: 1,000
Mailing Lists: 1,000
Email Forwarders: Unlimited
Catch-All Email: Unlimited
Junk Mail Filters: Unlimited
eXtend Control Panel
Webalizer Graphical Statistics
FTP/SSH Access
£300 Software and Free Web Tools
Site Management Tools
Massive CGI Script Library
Cancel Anytime!
Price Freeze Guarantee

The only downside is that 24 x 7 Technical Support is not included.
Always Learning