Do DVD recorders drive you nuts as well?

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Mountain Goat

Do DVD recorders drive you nuts as well?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Less and less suppliers are flogging video recorders; the transfer to DVD appears ubiquitous, but doesn't appear to be an immediate technological advance or advantage.

I've got two aims - (1) to transfer a large video collection to DVD and (2) to build a useful library of movies downloaded from TV - both to be achieved without Mrs G complaining about my increasingly inventive language and abuse (at the machines).

I've used two versions of Panasonic DVD recorders (DVD RAM, -R, -RW and +R). RAM is no good for compatibility in the various cheapo DVD players we use, so concentrating on the other formats.

Our simple problem is that about 50% of recordings fail, with various error messages too numerous to mention here. I've been in contact with Panasonic technical, and haunted John Lewis TV departments. As a result I've tried not to buy the cheapest discs, tried all the formats, tried preformating, obviously finalised if I've managed a successful recording, but the whole thing is an unreliable technical mess.

And what about simple features like clock counters or being able to mark positions on the disc when we want to continue a film the following day (or week)?

Has anyone succeeded with failsafe, reliable DVD recordings on a routine basis? Have we just got the wrong equipment? Do I have to join a DVD forum? Am I just too old to get to grips with this 'advance'?

Yes, I know hard-drive recording is great, but I want to distribute the discs for punters staying in our property (I know about copyright probs.).

Would be grateful for clued-up advice besides using the dud DVDs for drink coasters....maybe everyone else has been doing it for years without a problem?

MG

Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

MG
Fewer and fewer suppliers! Write it out 100 times.
Sorry, I can't help you - I have never recorded a DVD, but I appreciate your frustration, in this case, video is simpler! I just lend out our DVDs to guests, rather than copy them.
Since getting Sky+ here, I haven't had to record anything on video. It is such a wonderful invention, although I hate lining Mr Murdoch's pocket.
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

Not something I've tried, as yet, although I am looking into it. My intention is to do all of this on my PC, as I already have sufficient hard drive space, an excellent d/l DVD drive (well, 2 actually, who mentioned copying? :shock: ) so all I need to do is decide which will be the right digital TV card to use. My gut feel is that these DVD recorders on the market are something of a compromise.
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

I have an LG DVD recorder/VHS recorder and, so long as I use top brand DVD’s I have no problems in dubbing from VHS to DVD. I think problems in dubbing from VHS to DVD are usually to do with using cheap DVD’s.

When it comes to copying DVD’s (of course you need both a DVD player and a DVD recorder to do it) the same problem exists but much bigger problems are the zone and copy protections built into most commercial DVD’s.

I know it is somewhat illegal in some countries but my answer is to use a PC to copy from DVD to DVD. The software I use removes the zone restriction and gets round the copy protection system (in nearly all cases). Another feature I love is that I can specify exactly what I want to record. What that means is I can ignore all the “special features� and finish up with a DVD which only contains the movie. The software is called DVD Shrink and it is a free download.

Fluffy
Stu

Post by Stu »

When in the UK the last time, I bought a Liteon DVD recorder. I haven't really devoted the time it deserves to it as yat, but i will over this winter. So far I've been able to copy from our video recorder to the hard drive, and then to DVD, which will play back on this PC as well as our 'cheapie' DVD players. So, no probs so far! I use the DVD's as seen in PCWorld etc. Not expensive at all.
Recording from TV is a joy with ours. It'll also record the radio onto the hard drive, from where I can then decide which tracks I want to record. Cool, eh?
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Alan Knighting wrote: The software I use removes the zone restriction and gets round the copy protection system (in nearly all cases). Another feature I love is that I can specify exactly what I want to record. What that means is I can ignore all the “special features� and finish up with a DVD which only contains the movie. The software is called DVD Shrink and it is a free download. Fluffy
Alan, I have just downloaded the DVD Shrink. I am hoping that you can assist without going through all the tutorials, etc.

Highlighting the Main Movie section, it is giving a compression of 59.4% (2,823 MB) but DVDs hold 4.76GB. If I increase compression in the custom ratio button, it says that DVD size is too big.

Is the decryption done during Analysing and how long should it take - 40mins?

The Back-up button - you can choose Image Recorder or Hard Disk folder. I created a new folder with the name of the film and a Video TS and Autio TS folder were created. Is this right so far?

I feel embarrassed by admitting that I have never copied a DVD before. I have Nero but how do I burn my new film folders from my hard disk onto my blank DVD? So many questions, I am sorry.

Mil gracias,

Maria
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Maria,

I will assume you have one DVD player/recorder on your PC.

Analysis should only take a very few minutes. Click Re-Author and choose Main Movie. Accept the compression ratio offered, and Back Up to hard drive accepting the defaults offered. This will copy the main movie to your hard drive and when done your DVD drawer will open and on screen you will be invited to insert a blank DVD – do so and press continue. The movie will then be copied from your hard drive to the DVD. When the process is finished your DVD drawer will re-open.

It takes as long as it takes depending on the length of the movie and on the amount of copy protection and decryption involved.

Don’t sit and watch it, come back now and again to check progress.

If you have any doubts use a DVD/RW while getting used to the software. After a couple of runs you will be totally familiar with what needs to be done.

Fluffy