It may seem hard to believe, but

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

soodyer wrote: I've not been to Eastern Europe before and as I visited India/Nepal before Christmas I think I'm more than prepared for the experience. At least the toilet situation must be better!!
That was well planned then, wasn't it!

Good news about your Dad Soo, and let's hope it was the meds; if so, what a difference they'll make. MIL is having similar probs, and has been offered an assessment at the Memory Clinic, but FIL can't bring himself to take her. :( Meanwhile, it's exhausting for him. She's as happy as Larry!

So, enjoy your holiday with a lighter heart. Sounds as if Bulgaria will be a ball whatever happens! And see you when we get back pet! (That's an Aussie expression too!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Both... :D

Have a great time[this ones for you Sue...Dont want you to miss out :wink]

ps
Sue Know what you mean,
we had a lovely visit with Father in Law on Sunday and he called my Hubby ...Christopher...'What did he just call me Hubby said' ...Christopher I repeated...'But thats my name :shock:'

First time in Months hes recognised who he is[he usually thinks hes his brother whos been dead for years]

It was VERY special.... :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://www.funnyhub.com/pictures/pages/ ... mping.html

Watch out for HIM on the slopes[should be easy to spot :wink: :lol: ]
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks for the warning Ros - 'Piste-kill' springs to mind!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Just shows theyre cant be a weight limit on skis.... :roll: :lol:
Giddy Goat

I Don't Do Brief!!

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi all you snowheads!!! At last, a report on GG's ski adventure! But first, let me thank you again for your advice and encouragement - it was invaluable. Group hug coming up!I was very glad that I had had that afternoon's 3-hour group lesson at the Snowzone in the UK first, and some sessions at the gym; really worth doing - and those squats Vrooje! We managed to borrow lots on the list but bought good gloves and a few other bits, plus the woolly hat you saw me wearing in the pic that MG posted.

BTW, that was an unbelievable coincidence wasn't it!!! And how did he recognise me?? I thought I made a passable human, but you can't put anything over that goat!

Switzerland was warm (relatively), the sun was shining and the skies were bright blue when we arrived. Stunning. But no snow - at least at nursery slope level. So, having been kitted out, there was nothing for it but to venture higher up. GG, until then accustomed to Australia's rather flatter terrain and to the gently rolling hills of Gascony, had a serious fear of heights to conquer - not to mention mastering getting onto, and more important, getting off the chairlifts. Hyperventilating, and with help (including others signalling ahead to get the operators to slow down the arrival of the chair) and moral support in abundance, I survived with only minor loss of face.

Because we just had three full days to play with, I went for 1:1 lessons. My instructor was a cute Frenchman called Christophe, and my very first lesson was in the area immediately where the chairlift deposits its passengers - on the crest of a peak, where there was a gentle slope of approximately one acre overall, before the slopes descended into proper blue runs. Two sides of this small area were bounded by the chairlift and revolving restaurant (magnificent views over Lake Geneva), the other two bounded by.... a length of flimsy orange plastic, supported at intervals by metal stakes. No barrier to an out-of-control novice! Children were practising there, quite without fear, too small to see what lay past the orange plastic - the wild blue yonder, into which reckless paragliders, strapped to their colourful conveyances, were launching themselves. I tried to respond to Christophe's gung-ho encouragement, but my heart wasn't in it.

So we used the tamest bit of a blue run: steep-ish, but reassuringly basin-like. Here I was happy to hurtle, safe in the knowledge that my falls would be contained - and fall I did of course!

Skiing these days is taught without poles. It is amazing how many different variations of 'spreadeagled' there are. I believe that once I'm allowed poles, I can be taught to hoist myself up - but beats me how! First there's the business of arranging yourself, your limbs and your skis in such a way that you don't slide in the struggle. Then there's your body, weighed down by clobber and skis. Staying up on the damned things is one matter, but getting up from snowy supine is something else, and requires much more strength and skill!

So, how did I do? Yesterday I received the following email, written by coach Christophe to Mountain Goat and forwarded - you've guessed, Mr and Mrs MG were our kind hosts for the duration of this experiment, and we are now firm friends!

Attached to Christophe's email was a photo of GG, tackling the slopes with a face contorted by terror mixed with elation. "Here's a picture about the world champion woman  in January! this is the best beginner so  i meet this season, endless pleasure to improve again, because skiing it's very easy when u feel good , and Jane understood that....."

Sigh!!!!

Mr GG meanwhile, having had only a brief introduction to skiing 32 years ago, was walking tall after his performance on the red runs, with MG as co-skier moral support. Despite some problems with his back beforehand he had made it onto the slopes, and he too positively revelled in the freedom the sport gives you, loved the fresh mountain air, rejoiced in the beauty of the Swiss alps - and in the company of our lovely, attentive hosts in their super-duper chalet. Much fun had by all.

So would we go again? Too right! Ideally though, soon - for my part I don't think the few skills I acquired are likely to stay with me unless reinforced quickly - so we're working on it. Our message to anyone else who hasn't been is 'go for it'! And never believe in the saying 'you can't teach an old goat new tricks'! :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

GG, though I am not a winter person and I've never particularly enjoyed skiing -- you actually made me miss it! Nice description. :)

I can't imagine not being able to use poles. I rarely ever used them except when I was trying to get up (usually from falling off the lift when trying to disembark; it was only my last couple of times skiing when I stopped fearing the end of the ski lift). Why aren't you allowed to use them when learning?
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

Sooooo glad you had such a good time - you've almost sold the skiing idea to me too - almost :wink:
Rocket Rab

Re: I Don't Do Brief!!

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote:Attached to Christophe's email was a photo of GG, tackling the slopes with a face contorted by terror mixed with elation.
Now THAT's a photo I'd/we'd love to see, GG! Or indeed anything else fit for public consumption!

Glad you had such a good time and are back with happy memories and only a few (?) bruises :D
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Jenny..check out MG's post in the Café 'An Incredible Coincidence'! :wink:

tackling the slopes with a face contorted by terror mixed with elation.
Don't know about the "terror" GG....but it's a beaming smile I see (almost ear to ear...even though they are tucked in :lol: ).
To achieve skiing without poles is absolutely amazing!
(I've no sense of balance ..zilch...nada! :cry: )....although I'd definitely go for the aprés ski :D :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi GG :) ,

Thanks for sharing your fun time......
Glad you had a Great time...Im sure MG was a great host....
Ive never skiied and never likely too but you did make it sound fun :P ...
It is amazing how many different variations of 'spreadeagled' there are.
Shouldnt that be 'spreadgoated' :wink: :roll: :lol:
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

enid wrote:Sooooo glad you had such a good time - you've almost sold the skiing idea to me too - almost :wink:

Really pleased the goating fraternity has got it together,well done GG, a goat with no poles would be a relief to all other skiers I should think! Like Enid, you sold it to me- ALMOST :roll: Now, if there were to be a good old goatie apres ski hoofs up then I'd be your strawberry,round there in two shakes of a goat's tail !!! :lol: :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

In your other (human) persona I hope Frise, or you mightn't last long! 8)

Yes, would certainly recommend it, but we were very lucky to have an introduction to the sport that was so personalised and special, thanks to MG. If we'd just gone on a package, the outcome might have been different, and the 1:1 tuition for me made a huge difference too.

I have to say that 4 days was my limit though - just couldn't have managed another day on the slopes!

It's really nice to have your responses - it was a big deal for me to go, so thank you all for sharing in my modest achievement. Sorry the report was so long-winded, I tried to chop it about but that was the shortest I could come up with! Are you serious about some more pics? Might round up a few of the goats if anyone's interested...
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote: Are you serious about some more pics? Might round up a few of the goats if anyone's interested...
Let's see 'em GG! Definitely would like a peek... :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

OK Jenny - maybe tomorrow.... :wink: