Cor! Remote access to your home PC!

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Rocket Rab

Cor! Remote access to your home PC!

Post by Rocket Rab »

You techies out there are probably already all clued up about remote access to your PC, but I just stumbled across this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/c ... 161813.stm

and thought it looked like a pretty useful idea...

(obviously a few security issues, but I think I could overlook them for the sheer convenience of being able to get at my PC!)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Jenny

Interesting, but I do see problems with both security and, since I'm going green this month, running the remote machine on standby for no real reason.

There was a useful LMH thread recently:

viewtopic.php?t=2839

which dealt with remote back-up. I discovered that the service we use is by no means the best choice for everyone, but it allows us to back-up 7 PCs (and USB sticks), in different locations, to one account with one outfit (datadepositbox.com) and for a few $$/month have access to all data from anywhere. Access is one issue, backup is another, but it's saved our lives quite a few times.

It's not if a hard-drive is going to give up the ghost, it's when (Gustav Goat, 1898).

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

You're right, MG, that thread was worth its weight in gold and I am signed up with a provider as a result of it (although I admit to being stingy and the package I chose was too small, must upgrade, TOMORROW!).

I can certainly see how having your home PC rigged up to the Internet 24/24 would cause a 'crise de conscience' for a green devotee.... :D And when one has already kitted out every room in the chalet with an ipod one had to make concessions in other areas, n'est-ce pas?! :wink: :wink:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Absolument - all we need now is an iPod or two :)

I'm still trying to find that outfit which uses one's Gmail account and its free 3Gb for back-up - maybe someone here will know - it was in a mag. article gone astray - can't beat that idea for price.

Bit techie, but couple of links here:

http://tinyurl.com/674ky

http://tinyurl.com/y3rdwc

MG
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

May interest some people. Netgear make a hard drive box which fits two additional hard drives into it. It plugs into a modem router (probably not a Wandoo livebox) and all the PCs on the network see the two drives as a drive on the PC.
This is a great backup solution and, I believe, that if you fit two identical hard drives you set it up so that they mirror each other.
This would mean that should you have a drive failure on any single PC or on one of the additional drives, you will not lose data.
I think the device has the model number 102. You could for example fit two 400 Gb hard drives and have so much backup storage space that you would never use it all.
I saw it on www.cdiscount.com but cannot remember the price at the moment.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:( it's as if you're all talking in another language....
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Don't worry GG, they've lost me, too and I started the thread!! :?

Good to know we can rely on these techie experts, though!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D Hi Jenny - I saw a duckie today, and a choo-choo train!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

:lol:

Now you're really talking, GG ...!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

it's as if you're all talking in another language....
Ditto GG :wink: [but why do we torture ourselves by even looking at the posts in the Workshop :o .....]
Now you're really talking, GG ...!
Jenny :shock: ...Get REAL...shes a Goat :!: tsk some people... :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ros wrote: [but why do we torture ourselves by even looking at the posts in the Workshop :o .....]
I wondered if we should start our own thread in the Workshop for non-techies - problem is, after the initial sharing of our limitations, what would we talk about - we'd be off topic in no time! :lol:
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

OK, I'll try and make it simple.
Every PC has a hard drive, think of it as a cupboard full of files. If that hard drive gets damaged or the PC gets pinched, you will not have access to the files inside. As this forum is for gite owners, I assume that the information in those files is important.
If your PC with its hard drive (cupboard) was in the study, and your modem router (the bit that connects to the internet) was in another room., you could connect another hard drive (cupboard) to the modem router and have it duplicate all the files that are in the PC cupboard (hard drive).
Is this making more sense?
Then should the cupboard in the computer catch fire, be flooded, stolen, or have another problem, you will then have a duplicate cupboard with all the bookings, finances and important bits of stuff in it.
The alternative way to do this is to print everything out onto paper and store it in a fireproof box in the garden shed.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Very clearly put Bob - thanks! :D
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

The alternative way to do this is to print everything out onto paper and store it in a fireproof box in the garden shed.
:shock:
Scary thought.
Brooke