Loft /Cluster Flies Anyone had any problems with them

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Stephen

Loft /Cluster Flies Anyone had any problems with them

Post by Stephen »

We have just returned from our cottage in the North Pennines and when we were there I went into the loft for the Christmas Tree and noticed lots of flies and thought there might be a dead bird or something similar !!we rang Rentokill who advised that this was common especially in rural areas where cluster flies come into homes(lofts/attics) for the winter and assured us it posed no health problems etc..

Anyway it cost £150 + VAT and the guy was only there 15mins and let off a smoke bomb in the loft and said it would kill all the flies and that was the end of it, when I told a friend he said he has the same problem yearly and buys a smoke bomb and does it himself, he said they cost about £10 each....I thought hmmm.. maybe I should put an advert in the local paper...Loft Fly eliminator..£100 +Vat........
Vally

Post by Vally »

We have the same problem, and yes a bomb in the attic is how to deal with them ....unless you also have bats......then you have another problem as bats are protected!!
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Vally
We don't have bats, so we are ok to use the bomb, have you used the bombs yourself !! I don't want to pay £150 + vat every year, I might as well do it myself as long as it is easy enough.
Vally

Post by Vally »

Even though we have the bats we do use the bomb, just have to wait til a slightly different time of year when the bats are away , not so good for getting the flies at the right time though....just one of the joys of living on the edge of a forest ...but I can put up with it
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Vally
What would be the best time of year to check for and get rid of the flies ?

Thanks
Vally

Post by Vally »

I think just after summer or just before spring, they are usually at their worst here in September, when the weather seems to put them into a stupor sp?? when its chilly and brings them out with avengence if it warms up, that would be a good time to get them before they start making more little flies. I don't think you will ever completly get rid of them, but you can get on top of them .
When we came here they were sleeping in the curtains and we were constantly chasing round trying to get rid of them, just when you thought you had succeeded out they came again, then one year they were so awful we asked a friend who does pest control , and he told us about the bombs ,in fact he did it the first time , since then its been controlable though unless we have a sharp turn in the weather so they get ( mostly ) killed off I think next year will be bad again.
they aren't dirty bluebottle type flies they are exactly what you describe in a cluster !!!!