Shooting - minimum distance from a dwelling?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Stu & Syb wrote: Even though we have a grassed verge to the front of our property, it isn't strictly ours, it 'belongs' to the commune. I mow it, I trim the hedge, I tend it. What do they do? Drive great big F-off 4x4's through it so's it looks like it's been ploughed!
Stu & Syb,

I think this is an example of what one might perhaps include on the list of 'not so good' things about living in France: by that I mean a general lack of civility, a lack of respect for other people's needs/comfort. I know the French lifestyle offers many advantages, as others have reported on LMH, but this aspect is perhaps the other side of the coin.

I am not French myself (although my husband and children are), so I hesitate to criticise, but I do know many French people also moan about this.

Anyone else have any 'bad' (or good) experiences? Could be the start of another juicy thread!
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

that is why hunters have the right to shoot on your land unless you have the 'chasse interdit'
When we came to SW France, we decided to carry on with the previous owner's agreement with the local chasse. I'm a veggie but I'm also aware that I've chosen to live in somebody else's country and a chasse interdit sign isn't any way to win friends. The chasse include our land in their 'allocation' (ie: they can shoot more game) but aren't allowed onto our property.

The local chasse have honoured this arrangement to the letter and behave in a polite, friendly and respectful manner towards us. They've also (very kindly) arranged collar name tags for our dogs and provided occasional joints of venison and eau de vie at Christmas time.

I'm aware, of course, that others aren't so lucky.

Jim
Stu

Post by Stu »

Jenny,

I think that this is just about the only thing about living here that makes me want to scream! This isn't locals though, this is a gang of tossers that drive in from out of department to have a jolly, neglecting the fact that we live here. Ok, we're Anglais, and always will be outside the loop, but this is just bullshit. I'm actually seething about this because if the boot were on the other foot, there's no way I would act the way they're acting. That's the yardstick I tend to use in these matters, and you're right, it's all about civility. If my daughter had been home at the time, she'd have been a) distraught and b) probably in the line of fire, having jumped the fence to deck the old fart with the rifle!

Syb & I took the pooch for a mooch on that very spot of land only an hour earlier, sans leash! I shudder to think what may have happened had she been loose? There's no way you can walk anywhere these days without that happening. Because they chase their quarry using mobile phones and radios etc, they're on the scene and firing within minutes of the sighting! We can be prisoners in our own homes some weekends! Man traps....that's the answer....
enid

Post by enid »

I'm sorry that you are having these problems Stu and Syb. It seems to be more that they are coming from away from your commune that is bringing the difficulty. Like Jim we have had only civility and respect from the hunters in our small village. Would a word with your Maire help?
Stu

Post by Stu »

I must admit Enid that it's not each & every weekend that it happens, it's just that when you work hard to make things look nice and stuff, the disregard that others have for your property in the name of their 'sport' is a bit galling! Generally speaking, the hunters are a friendly lot, I'm just so shocked that this was literally on the doorstep. It's not like I'm a stranger to slaughter, or blood, I'm not. I was thinking about the proximity to the house mostly, and what my kids would have thought had they been here. Luckily one's in the UK and the other two were at a mates! Syb was upset as was her mum. It frightened the life out of the pup as she was asleep at the time. The rifles were deafening, it was like we were under attack! I'm not going to pursue it any further, especially with tha Maire, as he's one of the huntin' shootin' fishin' mob in any case, so I'm on a loser to begin with! I'll bide my time. Time to nip to Espace for some 'Chasse Interdite' notices, methinks!
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Have a look at these comments on Anglo-info. Always invokes deep feelings, but may be of use.

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/forum/top ... c_id=36292

Robert
gh

Post by gh »

Our land is all mixed up, very French eh , a piece here and there covered by trees or pastures, where the Chasse corner their 'targets'.

It is so different to where we stay in the UK. The people we know licensed for guns are farmers and my husband. The farmers use theres to kill vermin and crows for the benefit of their crops, understandabily so. Husband for work.

In France, as you know; it is so different.

When our Commune knew about OH license they took him out on a shoot, probibily illegal, as you are required to pass an exam to do this, they did respect the 'chasseurdefrance' and as Susan mentioned it is Departmental as to when and what they can kill.

This link

www.chasseurdefrance.com will enable you to see, the when and what.

Stu , I do understand and agree with you; regarding your familys safety.

Guns are extremely dangerous, albeit, part of his work, let alone do it for fun/sport with us closeby.

We knew France in this respect was so different and have to accept that this is the norm, especially in France profounde, therefore we do not go further than we know we should 'on our own land' at this time of year.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All, :wink:

Just being nosey[as per....]
How long does this season last?...
and has theyre been accidents recorded?....
and how do you explain this to guests when they are staying?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Ros, again it varies by deptartment by a couple of weeks, but the main season is end September - end January, with the exception of the 'battus' which are organised shoots to cull a particular animal, foxes, wild boar etc - these can take place out of the above mentioned months.
Personally I'm very lucky in that there isn't hunting everyday in my department and I have never seen hunters that close to my property, but when we have guests during this period, I warn them to be careful on Sundays and if they have an animal with them to keep a dog on the lead or a cat in the house.
There are official accidents recorded - I think last year there were about 20 hunters who were shot, some fatally, but luckily no members of the public last year (some years the public are not so lucky).
Hunters were made fun of by the French on a TV series a while back, I can't remember the name of the programme, but generally they were drunk in charge of a gun shooting anything that moved, including each other, which is a bit of a stereotype, but unfortunately true in some instances.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I think it's just winding up to the big finale now Ros. We have guests here at the moment who're interested in the hunters from a distance. They arrived around an hour after the kill yesterday. They were 'drop ins', and had been trying to call me to let me know they wanted to stay, but unfortunately I was on here ranting about the hunters! Anyway, I'd have been very surprised if they'd wanted to stay after witnessing what I saw yesterday. When they rang the bell, I was ready for a fight with one of the hunters to be frank, and went storming out of the house for the confrontation! I calmed down quite quickly when I saw the caravan parked on the roadside!

Anyway, they're all out again today, and we've had fun letting the dog bark her head off to confuse everyone, and we have a trumpet that we use at rugby matches too....comes in useful now & again!