Customer recovery or just too soft with our punters?

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Sting in the tale* about those punters who enjoyed their extended stay - just been dealing with the cleaners who arrived for their wad of cash - apparently the whole place was left as a complete tip - and instead of the average 9hrs cleaning (3 apartments) it needed 18 - and we trust the cleaner absolutely (-ish). A local village visitor also reported, independently, that she didn't know people could live like that, after she had dropped in.

Plus contents of 3 kitchens randomly distributed through the whole property.....

And (not their fault) does anyone know how much hassle it is to remove a dying-of-thirst medium-sized Christmas tree?

And because they were friends of acquaintances we didn't take a deposit.

That's one down to experience which won't be repeated in a hurry.

MG
* pun intended
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's a shame that one bad experience makes us think twice about being as generous again. :( Just tell me where they are, Mountie and I'll send the CCCs after them!

GG - fuming
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi MG :)

What a shame that it ended this way after your nice gesture :( .......
But you made it because of who YOU are and not the sort of people they are.....so it was still a good thing to do....

I suppose we all live and learn
[and we all learn a lot on here because of others experiences without having to actually go through them ourselves which does help ]....

But it would be a shame if it stops us putting ourselves out for people in the future :roll:...... :(

Take Care :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well Gasc...How weird...we both were posting at the same time and said very similar things.......

Great Minds Eh..... :wink: :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D Yup!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Mountain Goat wrote:Sting in the tale* about those punters who enjoyed their extended stay - just been dealing with the cleaners who arrived for their wad of cash - apparently the whole place was left as a complete tip
Oh MG, I do feel for you; in fact I feel hopping mad on your behalf..

Isn't it strange how the ones for whom you feel you make a special effort frequently turn out to be the least grateful and the most inconsiderate. :(

I agree that a sincere thank you would have been nice to hear!

By the way guys: have you ever tried asking at a hotel for a few days' extra holiday (free!) because of lack of snow ? But nevertheless very nice gesture MG.. amongst other things, that is what sets the (more flexible?) rental market apart from the (more rigid?) hotel sector...eez it not true?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Isn't it strange how the ones for whom you feel you make a special effort frequently turn out to be the least grateful and the most inconsiderate.
I can certainly agree on that point (re. my dilema with guests over new year).

Sorry to hear your story MG.....I'm sure most of us can relate to the 'punch in the stomach' factor when these things happen...but there's still 'hope' yet as I do firmly believe in 'Karma' :D

What a shame you didn't take a damage deposit...(mind you I would have been as trusting as you if they were acquaintances of friends and not taken a damage deposit either).
Could be a lesson learnt here for all of us....take a damage deposit irrespective of who the guests are.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I totally sympathise and empathise with MG here. Its one thing to take a damage deposit, its quite another to retain some or all of it.

From my one and only experience and from reading the many others here on LMH, I've noticed that the retention of damage deposit is almost always associated with some aggro between us and them (as reported in the NY Times !). If friends or family were to break something I'm sure they would tell me and we'd come to some amicable agreement on replacement once they return. If they don't, they don't return - I can always be fully booked when I want to :wink:

Admitedly, I'm lucky in that hourly rate cleaning is not an issue. We pay our maid a fixed monthly amount all year and she acknowledges that many months go by when she has nothing to do other than air the place, but some awful weekends when she has to clear up after an untidy family. Many is the time we have arrived for our holiday, and we arrive around midday (not the regulatory 4pm) and the maid is there smiling, having been there since the crack of dawn to ensure we do not see the mess. She is so proud to show us our home in pristine condition that she never complains - and we give her a huge tip on top of monthly wages and xmas bonuses....
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Now, about your maid, e-richard, I don't suppose she's at a loose end, and would fancy a bit of skiing in between the dustpan artistry this winter?

We've got some nightmare changeovers coming up, all carefully planned on the one day a week that our current cleaner has a sacrosanct day-off.....that sounds an ace arrangement you've got.

MG
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

MG said
Now, about your maid, e-richard, I don't suppose she's at a loose end,
It's not fair! I was going to ask first..but you beat me to it...obviously 4 hooves are quicker at typing than 2 hands!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

e-richard wrote:Its one thing to take a damage deposit, its quite another to retain some or all of it.
You couldn't have put it better, e-richard..my dilemma exactly. I have had some breakages and damage (not talking cups/glasses, of course) that would, I feel, warrant a deduction. Nothing wildly serious, but a pain nonetheless. And yet....I can't imagine actually screwing up the courage to dock whatever amount it is from the security deposit and see people leave with long faces after (hopefully!) a good holiday ... or enter into acrimonious correspondence with them after they leave...

I know, I know, security deposits are such personal beasties...everyone has their own views :D
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Four hooves, 2 horns, sparkly earrings - no, nothing will get me to part with her.

To add insult to injury, whenever I visit, since we keep a set of clothing there, I also leave all my dirty washing, and she irons my shirts better than my wife does. I'm seriously thinking of moving out to Portugal full time - perhaps as a bachelor :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Richard, pray do tell, how did you find such a wonder and dare we ask, I know we all want to know, what sort of amount does this wonder woman cost :D Maybe she has a sister living on the borders of Spain/Portugal :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

How did we find her ? LUCK.

When we bought in 1999, she was recommended to us by the property manager. Since then we've changed Property Manager, Gardener and Poolservice at least once each - its not all been a bed of roses.

How much do we pay her ? LOTS

(not by English standards tho) - cannot really tell all in public, but apart from her wages, we remember her love of English chocolates, Shortbread biscuits and her two children that she put thru college on her wages from us and other owners.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Jenny said
I have had some breakages and damage (not talking cups/glasses, of course) that would, I feel, warrant a deduction. Nothing wildly serious, but a pain nonetheless. And yet....I can't imagine actually screwing up the courage to dock whatever amount it is from the security deposit and see people leave with long faces after (hopefully!) a good holiday ... or enter into acrimonious correspondence with them after they leave...
Of course it's entirely up to the owners discretion whether they want to charge for breakages or not, but sometimes the damage done (I'm not talking about cups/glasses) warrants a deduction...and unfortunately the tribulations that occur afterwards are all part and parcel of holiday renting.

(Jenny compared to your damage deposit, I think I'm asking far too little for the size of my property :roll:)