Mobile phone in France: which to choose?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Jimbo

Mobile phone in France: which to choose?

Post by Jimbo »

Trying to decide on the best deal for a mobile phone for emergency/limited use in France but struggling a bit. Went to a phone store in Perigueux today but left about as confused as we'd arrived. Got that awful feeling of being hustled along towards a 'fabulous deal' - but not necessarily for us.

I don't think we know enough to make a informed decision. Any advice on this topic would be most welcome.

Jim
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Jimbo,

Within reason, forget about price as SFR and Orange are much of a muchness. Look at coverage as it can be crap in some parts of France
Cheers
PC
Stu

Post by Stu »

SFR/Orange are both rubbish on a 'PAYG' basis, as the credit's only good for 30 days. We're all on SFR here, kids as well as us, and we all struggle with signal. Then again, we're pretty rural. You may be better off (depending on signal in your area) thinking about a 'contrat', as they may offer better value for money than spending €15/30 days when we only use €5 or €10!
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

coverage is the most important factor.When we first moved here we ended up having to rent for the first 5 months and took out a contract with SFR. when we finally moved to our house which was approx an hour away we could get no signal at all , we had to travel 20 km to be able to make or receive calls. Of course the contract was for 1 year and had to be cancelled 3 months before the end date which we missed by about 6 weeks so ended up with the phones for 2 years.
Nessie
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't get coverage in my house beacause of the 1m granite walls, but apart from that Orange PAYG has been OK for me. I usually get a 20€ mobicarte which lasts 60 days, as opposed to the 15€ for 30 days.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Stu & Syb wrote:SFR/Orange are both rubbish on a 'PAYG' basis, as the credit's only good for 30 days.
That's not quite right. 10€ is good for 30 days, 20€ is good for 60 days and 40€ is good for 120 days.

What is right is that if you don't use up your credits within your time period your credits are zapped.

Even so, your mobile phone still works on emergency numbers and that was Jimbo's idea in the first place, wasn't it?

Fluffy
Stu

Post by Stu »

I stand corrected Fluffy! Just my annoyance that credit gets 'zapped' after 30 days! Will maybe do the €20/60 days carte next time!

Not sure that Jimbo means proper 'emergency' numbers though, like pompiers, samu etc? Possibly next door neighbour, or parents, kids etc? They're MY emergency numbers! LOL!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Not sure that Jimbo means proper 'emergency' numbers though, like pompiers, samu etc? Possibly next door neighbour, or parents, kids etc? They're MY emergency numbers! LO
:wink: :lol:
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

I have never heard a good word said about Bouygues Tel, but then again that also could be down to area coverage.
Last edited by Paul Carmel on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
PC
enid

Post by enid »

Bougetel - never heard of them - but sounds like a good new swear word :D
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Paul Carmel wrote:Look at coverage as it can be crap in some parts of France
Nessie wrote:coverage is the most important factor.When we first moved here we ended up having to rent for the first 5 months and took out a contract with SFR. when we finally moved to our house which was approx an hour away we could get no signal at all , we had to travel 20 km to be able to make or receive calls. Of course the contract was for 1 year and had to be cancelled 3 months before the end date which we missed by about 6 weeks so ended up with the phones for 2 years.
This has turned into an annoying issue for me.

I am with SFR and coverage on the Ile de Ré is almost non-existent (when I first took out the contract we did not yet have our rental properties).

A lawyer friend living on the island, also with SFR, wrote and complained. He demanded to be allowed to cancel his 2-year contract without incurring any penalties on the grounds that SFR was not fulfilling its contractual obligations. And, he got what he wanted!

It is intolerable that guests cannot contact me by mobile phone so I intend to go down the same route....but am not entirely confident about the outcome!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks to those who've replied, much appreciated.

Regarding coverage, how do I find out which is best in my region of France. If I ask at the phone shop, are they likely (how did I become so cynical) to push me towards the best deal for them rather than me? Any independent assessments anywhere about coverage?

Jim
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Jimbo,

Ask around locally, anyone under 14 will have one and will tell what is your best option.........
Cheers
PC
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Just had a quick browse of the SFR site to see if they offer anything like a map of France showing quality of coverage. No such luck! (Or at least I couldn't see it..)

As Paul said, your best, and easiest bet, is probably to ask around....