AVG anti-virus: OK or not?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Jimbo

AVG anti-virus: OK or not?

Post by Jimbo »

We have the free AVG anti-virus software on two of our computers and, as far as I can tell, it's been working OK. I don't use AVG because it's free but because it was recommended by a friend. However, it seems that I'll soon have to buy the paid-for version.

As I've got to pay, I wondered what other members were using for virus protection? Should I stay with AVG or is there something better? I'm happy to pay for this protection, just want something that'll do the job. IMO, with rental websites, the paid-for versions are better than the free ones - is the same true of anti-virus software?

Jim
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

AVG free version 7.1 is being discontinued as from today, but the new 7.5 version is available in free and paid for versions - I have been using 7.5 for a couple of months and it is fine.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Both

I use AVG free and its been fine for me to.

[they are saying its ending soon though] but dont they always say that to try to get you to pay the upgrade??
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

AVG is fine, and I've also used AVAST
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

They've extended AVG Free 7.1 until 18 Feb, and then (or now) it's 7.5.

We've got it on 4 PCs, and have Professional (paid version) on another, the idea being when it really hits the fan with some really tough virus, we're going to need tech. support and with the paid version you get it.

And isn't the Free version for personal use only? AVG's an interesting outfit, aren't they based in the Czech Republic?

St. MG
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks to those who offered advice. Much appreciated. Since we moved to France, our IT guy here is very keen on 'free software solutions'. Why pay, he says, when you can get similiar stuff for free.

I sort of go along with this philosophy for most computer things but viruses make me nervous. We had a devastating one a few years back. Plus, I suppose, if you don't invest in innovative software, where are the funds coming from for the bright guys to develop new stuff.

Jim
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Jim, Your "IT guy" here, just upgrade to AVG 7.5 free and you will be OK.
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I've updated on the main machine without problems.

Another job to do on the laptop, though.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Giddy Goat

Re: AVG anti-virus: OK or not?

Post by Giddy Goat »

Jimbo wrote:As I've got to pay, I wondered what other members were using for virus protection? Jim
I'm using a Mac!! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The only problem I had with a virus was when I was using paid for software. I now use both AVG and AVAST, as i was initially jittery at using free stuff too. Also ZoneAlarm for firewall, and Spybot, all free.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

For info, I tried ZoneAlarm but it doesn't work with Orange software!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Worst of all had to be Norton Internet Security. Dreadful .
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Susan, You are correct that there are problems with the Wandoo software, many anti spyware and firewalls see it as dodgy software, and it is.
If you have ADSL and a then you do not need to use any Wanadoo software on the PC. With your Modem or router connected and the lights on, try opening the browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) and you will probably find that it goes strait onto the web. You can then de-install the Wanadoo stuff. If this does not work then a cheap modem router will work, that is how my and Jimbos systems are set up.
A-squared free also tries to quarantine any Wanadoo software.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Bob,
Maybe the problem I have is that the modem is an Orange one and unfortunately unless I have Orange connected via the software, ADSL doesn't work.
I'm planning on getting a Netgear router so that I can use wifi and was hoping to be able to bypass the Orange software after, but I have no idea how to set everything up myself. I don't go through the software to access e mail or IE or Firefox, but unless I am connected, none of these work.
The dodgy software is one of the reasons I don't want an orange Livebox! I have never yet heard one positive piece of feedback about it.
Bob T

Post by Bob T »

Susan, If you go down the modem/router avenue then choose a Netgear 834 series. They are very easy to set up and can be bought for less than €60 at www.cdiscount.com. That will let you dispense with the orange software as the modem/router carries all the connection information and a firewall. The Internet is always on and makes life easier.
If you do buy one and have any problems setting it up then send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so that I can guide you through it. You should not need this as it is really easy.